The Heresy of trading Revis.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 1968jetsfan, Nov 28, 2012.

?

What do you think Revis could bring in trade?

Poll closed Jan 3, 2013.
  1. Top 10

36.8%
  2. Top 20

34.2%
  3. Top 32

10.5%
  4. 2nd rounder

2.6%
  5. 2nd rounder with Conditional

7.9%
  6. 3rd rounder with Conditional

2.6%
  7. Other

5.3%
  1. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Package Revis and Sanchez for Draft picks and I am in for the trade.

2. Cellar-door

Cellar-door Active Member

Never happening.
    Revis has one year left on his deal, even if he had more a first and a second is likely the best we could hope for.
    With one year on his deal the BEST case scenario is likely a first at least 1 year removed, like the Richard Seymour deal. Maybe a late first this year if you can find an aging contender who is desperate.

Palmer got a 1st and a second, and he's a QB. Also like every trade of a 1st for a player in recent years it was the Raiders.

3. NotSatoshiNakamoto

You're pretty much guaranteed not to end up with a player of Revises caliber if you make this move. A big part of the move is to allocate much less of your cap to the CB position and to bring in some (stress the multiple) young potential high quality talent under the new rookie wage scale.

4. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

There is zero chance Revis brings in two first rounders. First rounder + extra is really pushing it for Revis.

Revis contract has only ONE year left then he's gonna be a FA. If you're a GM how could you possibly give up those kind of picks for what could be a 1-year rental? Also, Revis is not cutting anybody a hometown discount. So what's the point of trading for him @ this point? Might as well wait till he goes FA and then make a bid.

Revis is one of the best CB ever but he's still just a CB.

5. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Of course not, and I understand it's a money dump, but after 30+ years of watching this team, it's hard to embrace the idea of dumping great talent for "prospects"..... The draft is a crapshoot and the Jets tend to roll snake eyes more often than most.. If Revis maintains his level, he'll be the 3rd homegrown talent in the HOF. We've had MANY early rd draft bums.

The only way is if preliminary negotiations show that he's gone one way or the other..... or their given "an offer they can't refuse" (which won't happen given $ & injury)

6. yanks9596

yanks9596 Well-Known Member

Revis has hamstrung a good Jets team in the past. Now, he will only continue to hamstring a Jets team that isn't very good anymore. With his insane salary on the ledger, Jets may never be able to build a contending team. And even if they can, it won't be for at least 2-3 more years... at which time Revis will be on the wrong side of 30, and probably on the downside.

Therefore, trade him now. We are rebuilding. BLOW. IT. UP.

7. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

Agreed. Revis and his agent is also looking at our cap and potential to win anything, they may decide to cut bait. That leaves us without Revis and nothing to show for it.

8. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

He's only 27, and he is the best corner in the game. I'd love to keep him, but if woody decides to blow it up (ie, no more rex and tanny) then I'd consider getting rid of Revis for a Palmer deal.

The problem if we keep rex and tanny is that rex likes good cbs for his D, and tanny can't draft for dick lately so the picks wouldn't matter.

9. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

Dump Holmes!!! Get MJD. Package Sanchez or Tebow or all 3. Get the team we trade with (the jags) to pickup the tab.

Keep Revis and dare ppl to throw it in his direction.

10. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

Think of it like the draft. Top 2 at a position have a high premium, but #3 can be had for a good price.

Trade Revis for 1st and 2nd, then trade 2nd for a good established corner to pair with Cro. Gives us cap room and we still have the 1st in our pocket.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

11. Demosthenes9

As someone mentioned earlier, we lost 45 - 3 to the Pats when they threw away from Revis.

12. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

It's not a matter of being willing or wanting to part ways with Revis. It is a matter of living in reality as opposed to fantasy. Reality is we stand a very good chance of losing Revis after the 2013 season with no compensation at all. I mean if I knew with 80% certainty that Revis would not exercise his option after the 2013 season and go total free agent, no franchising, etc allowed, you never would trade a player like Revis.

But in reality there is a pretty high possibility that Revis will leave after the 2013 season. That's no knock on Revis, it's a business. But just like it's a business for the players, it's also a business for the team. If you can lock up Revis long term before the 2013 season this discussion becomes a moot point, you'd never trade him because you have control and know he'll be on the team for several years to come. But if you can't, and I have a feeling he won't, then you have to look at options for the long term future of the team.

It is taking the short term vision as opposed to the long term vision that has gotten the team in to it's current situation.

It is, after all, a business.

13. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

You could probably get a 1st and second for Revis IF he agreed not to excercise his option after 2013 season and move the option year to 2014 to give time to renegotiate a deal with his new team. You could probably get a first in 2013 and 2014 if he agreed to an extension as part of the trade.

14. Cellar-door

Yeah, then we should build a time machine and get a young Jim Brown, and Steve Young in his prime.

Why the fuck would anyone trade for Sanchez or Holmes, and additionally where is the money for MJD coming from?

15. Cellar-door

No-one is trading 2 firsts for the privilege of paying Revis a ton of money. Especially under the new CBA.

16. Demosthenes9

Seems that a couple of teambelieve that you must have great CBs to win. Work out something in advance and do a sign and trade. :)

17. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I hate the fact that Jet fans would be ok with trading our best player and the Best corner alive. It would be a typical Jet move to get rid of Revis this orginaztion has a history of letting great players the drafted walk away or they trade them. What if they players we draft with the supposed 1st round picks we get for him are busts then what????? Then we gave up the greatest corner of all time for nothing. Im done being a Jet fan if this ever happens this will be the nail in the coffin for me

18. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Honestly, it's a problem when your best player is a CB. They don't have much of an impact on the game as a QB or pass rusher. As much as I love Revis, it would benefit the team in the long run if they do manage to draft well.

19. Demosthenes9

Revis indicated earlier this year that he was unhappy with his current contract, one that is paying him some $12 mil per year on avg iirc.

How much do you think he is going to demand on next contract?

Next question, how much is your ceiling for a single CB, even if he is best in the league?

20. JetRizing89

JetRizing89 Well-Known Member

revis is one if not the most dominant corner in nfl history

you dont trade a once in a lifetime talent like that

sign him and build around him , its not like revis is 35 and the window is closing on him