The Heresy of trading Revis.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 1968jetsfan, Nov 28, 2012.

?

What do you think Revis could bring in trade?

Poll closed Jan 3, 2013.
  1. Top 10

36.8%
  2. Top 20

34.2%
  3. Top 32

10.5%
  4. 2nd rounder

2.6%
  5. 2nd rounder with Conditional

7.9%
  6. 3rd rounder with Conditional

2.6%
  7. Other

5.3%
  1. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

We saw trainwreck games with him to, 45-3 so with or without him there had been bad games,

2. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

idk guys, i'm not entirely ok with trading the best CB in football for PROSPECTS.

so what if we get 2 first round picks? whats to stop this FO from selecting another vernon gholston or even a blaine gabbert? busts happen too much for me

3. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

It comes down to this for me...

How long until the Jets are legit contenders again? Take that # in your head and then how old will Revis be at that point? If you are comfortable w that age keep him. If not, trade him.

4. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

1st, Revis can not hold out in 2013 regardless of injury status. If he does then 2014, and I believe 2015 become guarenteed and he loses the right to opt out for the 2014 season. So there never was any fear of Revis holding out in 2013. The only leverage Revis has with the Jets going in to 2013 is to tell them if they don't extend his contract he WILL opt out in 2014. Otherwise in 2013 the Jets have nothing to worry about with Revis.

As far as his value on the market. Again, ACL's don't generally have a an impact beyond the season they occur in, at least for the smaller guys. Big linemen ACL is more concerning. The damning injury for small guys and big guys alike is the MCL.

Now that said, Just because he was injured this season doesn't mean you don't shop him. And just because you shop him doesn't mean you HAVE to trade him. Of course you don't trade him if you don't get a good value in return. If a team gives you acceptable value you trade him, if no team does offer reasonable value you keep him. It's that simple.

NFL is a business, and you do what you need to do to make the team better in the long run. Looking at the short term picture is what has us owing 95 million to I think 21 or 22 players in 2014. Of course a number of those players at that point will probably be cut or re-negotiated, they'd have to.

Also whether you trade Revis or not depends on when you believe you can make the team competitive. If you believe the team is only 1 or 2 players short of being a good team in 2013 then no, you don't trade him. If you think it's going to take till 2014-2015 then you have to consider it.

Personally with no cap room to make any real deals, I don't see any way to make the Jets competitive in 2013. The team needs two OLB's, at least one of them being an impact player. At least 1 safety, Upgrade at running back, another WR, but most importantly 3 Offensive linemen, 2 Guards and 1 Tackle, who can make a real impact on the line. Oh and a QB. which means drafting a developmental QB in the 2013 draft.

The Jets are old and slow, they sold out for a win now attitude in 2009, 2010 and tried in 2011 but by then the window was closing on the Defense and the right side of the O-Line. It will take at least two seasons to recover from that win now attitude that has worked oh so well for the Redskins in the past.

5. 1968jetsfan

This is an issue, If the Jets keep Revis just for marketing purposes then the team is doomed as long as Woody owns the team.

That said, there are valid Football reasons to keep Revis. 1) you think you'll be competitive with him in 2013. 2) you think you can resign him for reasonable numbers in 2014. 3) noone is willing to give you acceptable value for him.

But if you don't trade him simply because your more worried about what the fans will think rather than building a team that can reasonably get to the Superbowl long term then the team is doomed to being the bridesmaid at best and never the bride.

As far as untradeable players, there is only 1 postion in football that is completely untouchable in their prime, QB if you have an elite one.
    A shut down Corner is great to have on a good team, but on a poor team their pretty much useless since they only effect the play of one opposing player.

6. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

I love Revis.

The man is a baller, who plays on every snap, every down, every minute he is on the field balls to the wall. He deserves every dollar he earns.

If there was anyway we could trade that no good, son of a gun Holmes I would pull the trigger without a second thought. He deserves a team signed football from the San Francisco 49ers, Captain C patch and Jets yearbook for good memories. Bum.

7. Ryan76

Ryan76 New Member

This team can not draft even slightly well. Never ever trade a star like revis for draft picks if you draft garbage like sanchez. Consider yourself lucky and pay the only talent that slipped through the cracks and fell into your lap.

Oh and just understand this about getting draft picks... the draft they pick to replace revis will be KYLE WILSON. They have already shown you. Dont even take three first rounders for Revis. The Jets first round picks are not other teams first rounders. You want wilson for Revis? Thats what your gonna get if you get picks.

#27 Ryan76, Nov 29, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  8. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

if we do a revis trade i want an RGIII deal, possibly more.

and i'd still be pissed off.

9. 1968jetsfan

It's not a question of just trading Revis for 2 or 3 prospects. It's a matter of if you believe you can keep Revis beyond 2013 and at a price that doesn't hamstring the salary cap. The only reason I even bring up the prospect of trading Revis is we are looking at the very real prospect of losing Revis after 2013 and getting absolutely nothing for him. No compenstory picks, nothing. Remembere Revis's contract has an opt out after 2013, and part of that opt out includes not being able to tag him as a franchise player and not being able to put a tender on him.

All this means that if the Jets keep Revis for 2013 he can walk at the end of it and the Jets get nothing of any value. now, again, if you think the Jets are competative in 2013 you keep him.

If you extend him after the 2012 season for a reasonable amount, you keep him. But this scenario is unlikely as the Jets don't really have much maneuver room and Revis isn't going to want to renegotiate after an injury season, especially an ACL injury since players usually come back well from ACL's.

But if your a true fan of the Jets, you have to accept and look at the possibility of making the deal if an acceptable one comes around and you have to look at not only today, but tomorrow.

10. 1968jetsfan

A cornerback, any Corner back, will never be as valuable as a franchise QB. NEVER. No single Defensive player is as valuable in the NFL as a true franchise QB. NFL is a QB driven league, a franchise QB can make a bad team a playoff contender (see the Colts, Redskins). An elite defender can not take a team from pretender to contender on his own, teams just game plan away from that elite player.

11. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

I wouldn't hesitate to trade him for the right deal. The Jets need to start stockpiling solid, young, affordable talent.
    I don't trust the current talent evaluators to do that, but I'm pretty sure Tanny is gone after this year. The time is now.

12. 1968jetsfan

Oh that's understood, But understand this. There's a very very good chance in 2014 that Wilson will be our starting CB in place of Revis and have gotten nothing in return.

Again, if you believe 2013 is a contending season then your argument holds water. And this may be where we disagree. I don't believe the 2013 Jets will be talented enough to make a serious run as they have far too many holes on the O-Line and on defense. and I wouldn't consider trading Revis If I believed we had a legit shot at signing him beyond 2013 for a reasonable contract that didn't hamstring the cap (and this doesn't mean underpay the man, it just means structured in a way that is cap friendly and also doesn't overpay).

As far as Revis deserving the money. He deserves good money, but he doesn't deserve elite QB money. That said the most over payed player on the roster is Sanchez.

13. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Yes, I would trade him for a first and conditional or more. The way Cro is playing, I think it's more valuable to try and nab some decent LB or OL instead of paying Revis.

14. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Obviously I would love to see The Great Train Robbery in New York. If that could happen, Jets should pull the trigger as soon as possible. (3 1sts, 3 2nds and 1 3rd)

Seeing it won't happen in today's NFL, I would say 2 1st round picks and 2 2nd round picks are sufficient compensation, especially if the likes of Carson Palmer can garner 2 (even though one is conditional) 1st round picks.

15. Ryan76

Ryan76 New Member

Yea I get what you guys are saying in terms of salary cap and the amount of drafts picks we could get. But I just don't see how you can do it when we have the leadership we have. They can not draft, we wont get anything in return. Keep Revis and Cro, no reason not too. Keep everything you have that is good, find a way. Cut the garbage. And do not assume you can pick another, cause Revis is proven, and rare.

If we had a competent leadership that could draft it would be different story, but we certainly do not. We are lucky to even have a talent like Revis. You will get zero value in return, it will blow up on you. To me its no brainier, you pay the man, and you pay him good. Then you learn to draft better, just freakin try harder, cause it has sucked for yearssssssss.

16. Bannon

Bannon New Member

I wouldn't trade him for picks. It would have to be an elite player of his caliber -- a situation where a team has some excess talent at either linebacker or pass rusher, but needs an elite corner.

17. AlmightyRevis

AlmightyRevis Member

Best player on the Jets, leader of the defense/team, 27 years old, best corner in the league, most impactful/best defensive player in the league, potentially the best corner of all-time, potentially the best Jet of all time...

Trade that for draft picks?...potentially more Kyle Wilsons and Vernon Gholstons? There are no guarantees in the draft, not even close, so before I get to my more emotional points, logistically I am not a fan of this at all. Defense does win championships, and just having Revis, with no passrushers, and a mediocre supporting cast has had us in the top 5 for three straight seasons.

Moving on, I am honestly slightly shocked/disappointing in how many people are just will to part ways with Revis. Not to say I don't understand it, I do, and believe it is in-part an over-reaction to the taste we all have in our mouth from the past few months.

That said, sports is about the players. You root for the team first, but you become attached to the players. I've followed 3 sports religiously for my whole life and none of my teams have ever had a player in Revis' stratosphere of talent/performance; call me a sucker, or irrational, that is something I would never part with. There has to be another way to make this team competitive again, and I know there are plenty of others out there in Jets nation hoping against hope that we find it.

18. dusterfan

dusterfan New Member

Me personally I think on defense you start at the line and linebackers. A really good defensive line hides a lot of problems in the secondary or makes them look better then they are.

19. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I've been in agreement for a while that trading Revis in '13 would likely be a very good move for the Jets. At this point I think there is a very good chance that one of Cro or Revis gets traded next year. We need cap space and high draft picks.

20. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

if we get a kings randsom and borrow Ozzie Newsome for the draft.......... Not real comfortable of the idea of trading one of the best players to wear a JETS uniform for a potential combination of Wilson & Ducasse..... or worse Vern Gholston.

Don't even want to think about the JETS' ghosts of draftsmas past....... :eek:hmy: