The Hackenberg era is about to begin

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dmw, Jul 27, 2017.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Like I said in another thread. Wasting reps on mccown right now,why not speed up his development by giving him reps with the 1s now?

FlaJet and ColoradoContrails like this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If you're at this point, then I'm wondering why you're not willing to assign more blame to Macc? Yes, I know his hands were tied by Woody with the forced "partnership" with Bowles, but still, don't GMs have the say so on drafting and signing players? And if it was Woody's hand behind the decisions of the last three years, that still means that Macc is little more than a puppet.

All I know is that this franchise continues to be the textbook definition of dysfunctional and inept, and the future doesn't promise anything different.

#122 ColoradoContrails, Aug 7, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    HomeoftheJets likes this.
  3. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

For my Jets and Hack...
    [​IMG]

4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Well, now there's NOBODY to throw to so it really doesn't matter of McCown masters an offense that is bereft of quality receivers. Play Hack or Petty or both for the remainder of camp. Time for this CS/FO to take off the diapers and take the risk. At this point only Bowles has anything to lose.

FJF and ColoradoContrails like this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Because Mac has shown an eye for talent in the mid and lower rounds, has made some good moves in FA and the draft and been better than any GM we've had in a long time. I respect Ron Wolff a LOT, and he highly recommended Mac.

Also because there's no such thing as hiring an experienced quality GM. One has to hire young assistant GMs, let them learn on the job, and hope that they get things right more than they do wrong, and hope they learn quickly from their mistakes.

6. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I really don't understand the Mcown reps...If we are trying to develop young players then why is Mcown getting any at all.

7. FJF

Only Bowles knows. But at least hack got a whole 6 starter reps today.
    That's right 6. I think that makes 7 since he was drafted

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

McCown, as bad as he is, at least knows the offense and how to call it in the huddle. It sounds like Hack and Petty are still struggling with that aspect, which is to be expected. They're only a week into TC and they will get better. Meanwhile there are other players on the O who need practice as well. I believe thats why McCown is currently running with the 1s. He at least knows how to run the huddle and call the plays so the other guys can get their reps.

I still believe Hack will be the week 1 starter as he will continue to improve. He was looking good the first few practices of camp until they installed more of the offense. Then he started struggling with the calls and protection. He will get better with more reps.

9. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

So if McCown is getting most of the #1 reps what is the guess at how much we see of McCown Saturday nite, 1st half? If Hack gets limited reps in the 2nd half that's gonna be disappointing. In two and a half weeks we'll know for sure. If we don't get a good look at Hack it's a QB early in the draft next year as far I'm concerned, and another couple of years of this, smh

FJF likes this.
  10. Walt White

Hope so, holding out hope for that

11. FJF

you want bowles developing, or not developing, our next high pick qb?

12. Walt White

I don't know anymore. If Hack never plays I'm gonna lose interest fast. I'll keep track of some guys on D and Hope that there's signs of improvement overall. Until I can make an assessment of what Hack is I don't know. Do they think Hack has a chance or not? That's what I wanna know. I guess a few games into the season will answer a lot of questions. But if they don't start getting better we're talking another several years of this crappola, smh. I don't think i'm gonna wanna even bother with that...

FJF likes this.
  13. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

nominating Hack or Petty for tank commander

FJF and Walt White like this.
  14. Walt White

Lol

[​IMG]

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  15. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Just a thought, if we put a previously banged up Hack out there to get slaughtered behind that duck-taped line.... how the hell is he going to improve? It would be just like Penn State. Macc's philosophy on drafting OL is doing us no favors.

tbruner12 likes this.
  16. hwismer

hwismer Active Member

Cimini

The Jets changed up their quarterback rotation, giving Christian Hackenberg six reps with the first-team offense -- the most he's had in training camp. Josh McCown (6-for-13, one TD) still got most of the work with the starters. Hackenberg (10-for-21, one TD) got a total of 29 reps, eight more than McCown. Meanwhile, Bryce Petty (3-for-7) was a non-factor again, as he got only 10 reps.

17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I agree that he's done pretty well with lower level draft picks and a few FAs, but that's not enough. He's had chances to transform the offense and hasn't done it. I'm not saying he should be fired...yet, but if this team isn't dramatically improved after the 2018 draft, I'd say it's time to move on.

There are GMs who, while maybe not having held that title before, have had extensive experience as a HC or in some related capacity. That said, Macc is in his 3rd year now - in my book that fits in the "learn quickly" window, and he needs to have his team start to deliver.

18. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

It is simply unacceptable for McCown to have gotten all the first team reps up until yesterday. There is no legitimate reason why a 38 year old, journey man QB, should start for the Jets in 2017.

19. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Mac has done OK with the draft and FA pickups. If Adams and Maye work out he will have done very good. Where I will criticize him right now is he needs to exert more control over the team. Considering all the reported time and effort placed on evaluating Hackenberg (and to a lesser amount Petty) you would think they would do a better job preparing these guys for the upcoming season.

Case in point, the Broncos have already announced that Trevor Simian will start the first pre-season game and Paxton Lynch will start the second game. So the Broncos have relayed to their fan base exactly how they intend to use their QB's and evaluate them in preseason. There is a competition and both the potential starters will be given a platform to show what they have. Better man wins.

With the Jets its a goddamn mystery and the fanbase and the QB's have already been lied to by Bowles about an "open competition".

Mac really needs to get his Head Coach in a room and find out what in the flaming fxxx he is doing giving a 38yo first team reps and how that is supposed to prepare their chosen developmental QB's for the 2017 season. You give the coach latitude, but when he lies about what he is going to do then you need to hold him to account.

20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The problem with this pulse, is that unless the organizational structure has changed, Mac doesn't have the authority to do that. Bowles and he are peers, not employee and supervisor. Bowles gets to decide who makes the team, who starts and how many reps players get. Mac and Bowles have discussion, but it's totally Bowles call in the end. You can thank our "brilliant" owner for that.

LAJet likes this.