The Hackenberg era is about to begin

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dmw, Jul 27, 2017.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You're entitled to your opinion as well, and we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. IMO Hack doesn't have to prove he's better than McCown by preseason. He's still only 21. He continue to learn and progress as the backup for the first few games or even half the season, then take over and do fine. Even if he shows signs but still isn't where the Jets want him to be by the end of the season, I don't think Mac will be in trouble, or at least he shouldn't be, although I'm sure the media will make a huge deal out of it as will some Jets fans.

The Jets could wind up with a top 3 pick get Allen or Darnold, and then Hack could either beat that QB out next year in TC or push them hard enough to show that he's ready by that point. He's still only be 22. He may not be the Jets QB of the future at that point if the Jets really like Allen or Darnold, but he could show well enough in TC and preseason that the Jets could start getting #1 pick offers for Hack.

I don't expect Petty will fail that badly, either. Based on reports from OTAs and TC thus far, he's made some of the best throws and to quote one of them, "when he's been good, he's been great, but when he's been bad, he's been very bad." Supposedly, he's been more poised in the pocket than Hack and gone through his progressions quicker, but has struggled with some of his decisions and throws. As he learns the offense better and gets more comfortable, I look for him to start looking a lot better in practices.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Well, good to know someone is willing to step up to the plate and take care of blowing Hack. Knew we could count on someone around here but figured maybe ~~Kelly~~ or Sayuki would show back up for that.

Imagesrdecieving and FJF like this.
  3. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

Let's hope so. It should. There are no reasons to not play him come September 10, especially if he continues to outshine McCown over the next few weeks. I, and many others, will definitely be more excited if he can play this well (or better) in the G&W scrimmage/Preseason games.

Imagesrdecieving likes this.
  4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

If you need any evidence that the Organization has moved on from Petty, check the snap count progression. If Petty is stupid enough to be the #3 Qb that never suits up and on the practice squad, then he should consider another career option. OTOH, if Petty is serious about playing pro football, its time for him to ask for a pardon/release from the Jets and move on.
    Macc probably won't release him but instead, put him on the PS which for all intents and purposes, is the end of the line for a 26yr old 4th rd. dp.
    There was minimal interest in Petty last year before he was turned into roadkill by the Jets. Perhaps he can latch on to another team somewhere. There's always the CFL option. Anything is better than being the 3rd string Qb on the NYJ's. Let Macc go sign another JAG to sit at home on gameday waiting for an injury to happen.

MurrellMartin likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

I don't think Petty will be on the PS. He will be on the Jets' roster, and he has a chance to become the backup QB. I think he has the talent to surpass McCown on the depth chart.

6. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Lmao

7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

8. Bottom line is Mac has been here for 3 years...when he came in it was acknowledged by both he & Bowles that BOTH SIDES OF THE BALL needed improvement and attention. 3 years in the offense might be WORSE than it was before he came. That starts & ends w. the Quarterback position. What other position on O is now better off than it was before Mac got here? MAYBE OL depth...and that's a big maybe cause some of the "depth" guys are currently starting. MAYBE WR but thats no sure thing & the Devin Smith bust looms large.It didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the Jets needed talent everywhere..but did they forget its a scoring league? Did they forget how BAD the offense was post 2011 under Rex??

I get that 2018 has some blue chip offensive talent. Do I really believe that this front office or this Head coach are seriously gonna prioritize the offense? I made that mistake in 2014 & I wont make it again. They'll find a way to take another SEC defensive player & hide behind the BPA nonsense once again. Can anyone really picture Bowles at a post draft presser ringing the praises of his newly appointed "Franchise"? For the life of me I cannot.

Afterall, every year we say "Next year we'll get offense"..and does it ever happen?? We think "This offense was unwatchable..we have no choice but to address it..it can't get any worse"..and guess what? It gets worse within the next 1.5 seasons.

Mac has gotten asked many many times about finding a QB for this team & I've yet to hear him give it any urgency or weight beyond the Ron Wolf mantra;Which he ironically abandoned most likely to allow Hack some breathing room. He passed on trading up for Wentz/Goff,he passed on Paxton Lynch, he passed on Patrick Mahomes. He even has had his way of giving QB's time to develop behind the scenes; As far as I'm concerned,His QB philosophy has been put into full effect..and what do we have to show for it??What does it say that Bowles 2 going on 3 seasons has not only chosen outdated journeymen to be his starter but even worse doesn't even wanna give Mac's Picks any reps?

Like it or not becoming the GM of this team under their current preface starts & ends w. solving the QB puzzle. He's had 3 years(3 free agencies/3 drafts),Alot can happen between now & the end of 2017..but if we are still clueless behind center it may cost him his job.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

Believe me, I understand your frustrations and doubts/distrust of the organization. I've already pretty much made up my mind that if Hack or Petty doesn't pan out this year and Mac doesn't draft a QB in the first round next year, I'm done following this team. If Bowles doesn't start giving Petty and Hack a lot more reps in TC and instead starts McCown for most of the season, show little sign of learning or making progress with his weaknesses, yet is retained as HC, I'll be done regardless if they find their FQB. I'm sick of the stupidity.

At this point, the only possible needs on D would be edge rusher if Dylan Donohue or none of other OLBs step it up, a #1 CB if Claiborne can't stay healthy or leaves as a FA, and an ILB to pair with Lee. Every Jets fan knows that they've been ignoring the offense, how the Jets have neglected the most important position, neglected the OL and the offense in general, and I think if they drafted D in the first 2-3 rounds again in 2018 that legions of Jets fans with torches and pitchforks would storm Jets HQs and massacre the FO and CS.

I think the TE position is definitely better. The offense was definitely going to get worse getting rid of Decker, Marshall, Mangold and others.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  10. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

We had to get worse before we can get long-term better. It's such a bandaid fix to keep expensive older players. We're just finally doing it properly.

MoWilkBeast and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. NCJetsfan

I'm in total agreement with you, and I should have included that in my response. Thanks for the addition.

12. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

+1000 on the Jets having a blue chip QB draft and Hackenburg becoming a wonder child The more decent QBs the merrier...

TBH I doubt TC translate to wins on the field for Christian H.......if this should occur Mac will become the Albert Einstein of GMs... hehe

13. NCJetsfan

Green Bay had at least a couple of young QBs who never saw the field during the regular season, but had good TCs and preseasons and the Packers were able to get 1st round picks for them. I think the Pats and some other teams have been able to do the same thing.

Besides, at this point all we have is hope that a miracle will occur and this team will get things right and turn into a winner.

14. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

If you are gonna make ridiculous statements like above, I expect some examples. Premium draft picks for players that NEVER played in the regular season? Bullshit.

15. NCJetsfan

I don't post of your pleasure. I may be mistaken about whether they played during the regular season or whether they were #1 or #2 picks, but know that the Packers drafted at least two QBs that they later traded for high draft picks. I thought about answering you, but since you are being such a douchebag, you can go fuck yourself.

16. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Fake news

The Waterboy likes this.
  17. hwismer

hwismer Active Member

• Rich Cimini
    FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- If the New York Jets are serious about giving Christian Hackenberg a legit shot at the quarterback job, they should shake up the practice rotation this week and let him start the first preseason game.

So far, they don't appear serious about it.

Through seven training camp practices, Hackenberg has worked almost exclusively with the second-team offense, ahead of Bryce Petty and behind Josh McCown, who has been handled like the presumptive starter.

There has been no rotation, not even split of the reps. This quarterback competition is as open as a bank on Sunday.

The time to give Hackenberg some work with the starters was the first week of camp, when they were experimenting with personnel and moving people around. This week, they will cut back on that and start focusing on a set lineup, according to coach Todd Bowles.

It sounds like things will remain status quo at quarterback.

From all indications, the Jets are grooming Hackenberg to start the season as the No. 2 quarterback. Perhaps they want to build him up gradually and let his confidence grow before throwing him into the fire. If that's the game plan, that's not how they sold it to the public. They presented it as an open competition.
    OK, let's not quibble over semantics.

If Bowles starts McCown on Saturday night against the Tennessee Titans -- it's trending in that direction -- he should pull him after a series and hand the game to Hackenberg. They know what McCown can and can't do; they need to get a long look at Hackenberg. Let him play until the fourth quarter. Heaven knows, he needs the game experience. His NFL resume consists of 76 preseason snaps last summer, all of them against backups and backups to the backups.
    Hackenberg is coming off an encouraging outing in the Green &White scrimmage this past Saturday night at MetLife Stadium, where he made his best throw of camp. Sensing pressure, he stepped up in the pocket and fired a 25-yard touchdown to rookie tight end Jordan Leggett, fitting the ball through a tight window.

"It was awesome. It was a heck of a throw," McCown said. "I think those are some of the things that get you excited about Hack. ... To step up and avoid the rush like he did and then to deal one in there, showing his arm talent and his accuracy, that’s why he was drafted where he was and what gets you excited about him."

Hackenberg completed 3 of 5 passes for 45 yards in the scrimmage. McCown (8-for-13, 114 yards) threw a long touchdown to Chris Harper, but he also was intercepted by rookie safety Marcus Maye, who returned it for a touchdown. Petty (4-for-12, 45 yards) led the third-team offense to a field goal to end the night.

The entire article:
    http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-j...s-with-christian-hackenberg-or-end-qb-charade

FJF likes this.
  18. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

McCown won't survive a quarter behind this OL. The Jets might as well give all the snaps to Hack and Petty, and they should probably be on the phone with every out of work QB who is still breathing, because they may be needed before the season is over.

19. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Cimini is spot on

20. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I agree slightly, but also am fine with the slow approach. Again, Hack is 22. He was red-shirted his 1st season. No reason to go from nothing to starter unless he is ready. The team surrounding him isn't very good either. Definitely needs playing time this Pre-season though.

regan62072 likes this.