The Hackenberg era is about to begin

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dmw, Jul 27, 2017.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

May it start sooner and end much later

2. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

That's fair. But I'm watching the Tackles. That's of concern to me
    Johnson improved during the season. Apparently he has the savvy to make calls at the line of scrimmage also. My concern with Johnson is that he's not that big. But hopefully gamesmanship can carry him and he doesn't let that shortcoming hurt him.
    Gotta look for the cohesion out of the Tackles also. I'm less concerned with that with the interior guys. Those guys are pretty sharp, and Carpenter and Winters are decent Guards.

Pags2112 and Red Menace like this.
  3. Walt White

Right. As if the kid brings nothing to the table and has no talent. God I hope he succeeds

4. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I too have concerns about Johnson. My bigger concern is Winters. I can't believe they gave him any contract, much less a big one. I was hopeful when they drafted him, but I have been seriously unimpressed with his play.

I have high hopes for Shell down the road, so even though I think he'll be well below average this year, I think the experience will help him tremendously in the future.

Ijalana and Qvale aren't anything to write home about, but they should be able to give Beachum and Shell some decent cover from time to time.

For all these guys in 2017--I just hope they don't get Hack or Petty killed. This franchise really needs to find out what we've go there. If they get knocked out before they have a chance to show us what they've got, this this will be an even bigger waste of a season. Of course, the biggest waste will be if one of them really shows us something--THEN gets broken in half.

Red Menace likes this.
  5. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Ha! I love it:
    First poster is worried about the Center, the next about the Tackles, and the third about a Guard. What does that say about the Jets' O-Line?

CBG and Red Menace like this.
  6. Walt White

Nothing :D

I'll go out on a limb and say it's not as bad as some people are saying. Mainly because of the interior. The Tackles are unknown, LT basically to me. But will defer to anyone who gives Beachum a plus :)

Pags2112, TonyFtLaud and Red Menace like this.
  7. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I believe the interior is decent as well, but going from Mangold to Johnson, it's unavoidable that the center play will suffer. That's where my red flag comes up, I don't believe he is the Wayne Hunter of centers, I'm just so accustomed to getting great center play from Mangold that anything else seems inadequate.

8. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I was never a BW fan, he did play well last year though, still made some boneheaded plays at time but when the jets fielded.....Clady, Carpenter, Johnson, Winters and Ijalana they played well and gave Fitz time to throw.

Then all the injuries started taking their toll and oline was terrible.

9. cbman13

cbman13 Well-Known Member

After everything that been said, I would be part overjoyed and part in shock if hack works out lol

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

10. Walt White

I know, you're 100% right. Johnson's small in the ass and doesn't have the base that Nick's got. I'm kinda hoping more than I know. But he did improve. I was bashing him during the preseason last year but I do think he improved and showed some things as the season went along.
    Winters and Carpenter are good imo. Winters has steadily improved. I always looked at what he did well from day 1, even tho he made glaring errors in the beginning. Reminds me of Slauson and how Slauson improved although they're different style players.
    It takes time for a lot of these linemen. And they all make mistakes and get beat. But Winters is a good Guard. He's a real good run blocker and he's really good at blocking down field. He's a mauler with an attitude.

#30 Walt White, Jul 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
    FJF and Red Menace like this.
  11. joe

joe Well-Known Member

12. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I have posted it several times the past few months, but Hackenberg is the key to this being an enjoyable 2017 season. If he shows any signs, it can be fun. If he is horrendous and the coaching staff truly was hiding him last year, that will make this year awful. Petty stepping up could change that, but I find him doing that less likely than Hack succeeding.

We all can agree: The less McCown plays the better. As they say on that NFLN show: THAT HELPS NO ONE!

13. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

He's inaccurate as shown by 3 years of college and last year's pre-season. Misses wide open guys. Mechanics were a long way off last year. He just hasn't shown anything proving he can actually excel in the NFL.

14. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

We've been through this before. The pass is getting intercepted.

TonyFtLaud, Jets69 and Cman68 like this.
  15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Thanks for the clarification. It sounds to me like that's a rebuild, but a failed rebuild, because the team didn't find the key component (QB), rather than a rebuild not begun, but I guess that's just semantics.

Thanks again.

16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Red, I basically agree with everything, but I think there's a chance that things could gel sooner. With a new OC, new attitude on the team, and with a WCO that looks to get the ball out quickly, the OL could wind up surprising us. It may be a small chance, but they could take to this offense like a duck to water. Hopefully, they will rather than taking to it like oil to water. LOL

Red Menace likes this.
  17. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

The thing is red, we are not going from prime mangold to Johnson, he had been breaking down the last year. I don't look at it as falling off a cliff going from nick to Wesley, more like sliding to the bottom of the driveway.

Red Menace likes this.
  18. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

19. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

lol the rebuild is in full force like never before right now. We thought Idzik cleaned house that one year? that was child's play. This is the real deal re-build right here.

Pags2112 likes this.
  20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I wasn't as down on Hackenberg as others when he was drafted but I don't think he will have any success with our Jets now. He was a question mark to begin with but he's certainly not going to be a success with this patchwork offensive line and a WR corps full of guys that haven't been anything better than 3rd or 4th options before.

I think the Jets brass agrees he is not the future. Otherwise they wouldn't have taken away a reliable receiver and red zone threat like Decker, they would've tried to get him some help in FA, they wouldn't have drafted 2 safeties if they had any hope for their young QB, they would've drafted him some help. They know he's not going to be any good and they are tanking for a different QB