The good part of week 1, 2020 for the Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dmw, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I'll agree that not signing Clowney was a mistake when if he stays healthy and puts up double digit sacks.

He's a good player. He's not a great edge rusher. I do think he would've been a good fit here though unfortunately and the price was worth paying for a one year deal. But I wouldn't have given him a big long deal really.

barfolomew likes this.
  2. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Yes that is good news except none of them will get us into the endzone on the regular.

3. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

I can't tell you how I know...... but the Jets are actually just PRETENDING to be inept on offense to lower everyone's guard for the most unexpected fake punt TD in week 14!

I started that as a joke but half way thru I was like damn I could actually see Gase thinking this

boozer32 likes this.
  4. rammagen

rammagen Well-Known Member

here is the thing if signing him helps the rest of the defense when he is on the field and makes Q better then it is worth it

5. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Not buying this as a reason for keeping Gase around. We went through the same argument last year and proved that those salaries represent an inconsequential fraction of Johnson's $4.2 billion wealth.

#45 Ralebird, Sep 21, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    NYJetsO12, Jets81 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  6. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Maybe so ..But you are talking about billionaire owners that paying a 500k to 1million or even 6 million salary just a drop in the bucket

C Johnson is just stubborn, dumb and cares little about fans

He better be ready to have his rep further smeared if we keep losing

7. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

The Sky-is-Falling for half of the league today.

Yes we looked horrible, especially early, and on offense; yes, SF is coming off a super bowl visit

My hope is that the team has strong leadership in the locker room, and the team has the grit needed to turn this around

8. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Not necessarily the money, I don't think CJ likes the appearance of paying three head coaches at the same time--Makes him look stupid (which he is). So why do YOU think he is keeping such an incompetent coach around? Would like to hear someone else's explanation who doesn't like mine.

9. Ralebird

I'm not the one who claimed the reason was financial and I'm not the one who professed to know why Gase was given an extension a while ago or kept at all. Some people just make bad decisions, some are averse to change, some are overly optimistic and some believe everything they are told by someone they trust (but shouldn't.). It's one of those things. Or maybe Woody has just told Chris that it doesn't matter much, he'll take care of it himself when he gets back, whenever that will be - it's not like it's keeping people out of the stadium.

I took a lot of heat here when Gase was first hired and I claimed he was not qualified; I took more two years ago when I said he should be gone during the bye week. By last year a lot more people agreed but a bunch still thought he deserved more time. Why? This year I have no expectations of anything and don't really care what they do. It's the apathy of the masses as well as the apathy of the team that will finally be the death knell for Gase - but when?

10. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

I would have fired Gase right after the game... then put Williams in charge, and hire temp OC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Not that it really matters, but I am not following you. Your second full paragraph claims that you sounded the alarm bell on Gates in each of the last two seasons ("two years ago" and "last year'). I thought that this year is Gase's second season coaching the jets, so don't understand how anyone gave you heat for Gase two seasons ago. Anyway you were absolutely right claiming Gase is/was not qualified when he was named jets coach. The Eagles fired Kotite after the 1994 season and the jets quickly scooped him up. The result? 4-28 the next two seasons. What is the logic of hiring a coach that another team just canned like Gase and Kotite?

12. Ralebird

You're right - what I wrote makes no sense, sorry. I had called for Bowles to be canned at the break in both of his last two seasons but, as bad as he was, I had little support and too many guys said firing a coach in mid season looks bad. So does constantly losing and never making progress.

With that in mind, I saw nothing positive from Gase last year and could not get anyone to even justify his hiring in the first place so I again called for the coach, Gase this time, to be let go on the bye.

In answer to your question at the end - there is none.

tomdeb likes this.