The good, bad and ugly of Mike Maccagnan’s final Jets draft

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Footballgod214, Apr 13, 2020.

1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Polite certainly backfired for us. He's still on the practice squad for the Rams. I never figured out what was wrong inside his head. But if he ever gets hit by a rock, goes into a coma, and comes out 'fixed', he could be pretty good after all.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That's why I loved the idea of trading Q for Ngakoue if Jacksonville would bite. I don't care how good of a player he turns out to be, even if he turns out to be a HOFer (which I totally doubt), he was an idiotic pick. I think you're right that Mac didn't have a clue how to evaluate talent or build a team, but since the "experts" were raving about Q, he believed he had to take him, in spite of his only starting one year in his collegiate career, being surrounded by an NFL level defense, and his disappearing/being a non-factor in the couple of big games he played in college.

The Jets have needed an elite edge rusher for 15-20 years, and there was one just sitting there who not only was a great pass rusher, but also very good against the run, and excellent in coverage. He was a complete 3-4 OLB You couldn't have asked for a greater gift, and that fucking moron let him go to take yet another DT. He had just traded a ton of picks the year before to move up and take a potential FQB in Sam. Was there any thought to trading down and taking an OT or WR or recouping some of the draft picks he gave to move up for Sam? I doubt it. I'll bet my bottom dollar that he got decent trade down offers, but he got greedy, or knew that he didn't know who to take if he traded down, so he stayed put to take what he thought would be the "safe" pick. With a trade down, Andre Dillard, Garrett Bradbury, Brian Burns, TJ Hockenson, Noah Fant, all would have been a better pick than Q. Then because he stupidly didn't take Mahomes or Watson and had to trade all those 2nd round picks to get Sam, we missed out on players like Greg Little, Cody Ford, Deebo Samuel, Jawaan Taylor, Rock Ya-Sing, and Dalton Risner. It makes me physically ill just thinking where the Jets could be if those Johnson morons hadn't hired Idzik and then Mac. We had golden opportunities to really have a great team, and totally wasted 7-8 years.

#22 NCJetsfan, Apr 13, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
  3. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

No, but you also shouldn't just take the BPA. We needed an edge rusher and a good prospect was there for the taking.

4. Im convinced their was something else in Allen’s background or on his tape that scared teams off.He was a top 10 pick at a premium position w extremely limited yearly supply.He made it past the 2 teams in his home state both of which had a pressing need at his position.Had to be something off the field,his medicals,his work ethic who knows.

5. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Eh, he was still picked at 7 by the Jags, so it's not like he fell that far.

6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

We took the wrong interior lineman.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

No, but you factor needs into your drafting. And you sure don't continue to take interior DL when you already have that role filled adequately.

wewantsapp, tomdeb and JetsNation06 like this.
  8. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Give it a couple years, and the last two graphs will turn red too.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

Fixed that for you. Allen wasn't just a good prospect. He was fast, he was a solid tackler, he was equally adept at rushing the passer, playing the run and dropping into coverage. He had great scheme versatility and would have been great in either the 3-4 or 4-3 or some hybrid scheme. He was the perfect player for our D and would have filled a long-time huge need. The only thing Mac could have done better was trade down with Philly or somewhere just above the #22 pick, added a few picks (a 2nd and 4th in 2019 and a 2nd and 3rd in 2020), take Andre Dillard in the first, a WR in the 2nd (Mecole Hardman) and then with the 3rd round pick taken either Chase Winovich or Connor McGovern.

#29 NCJetsfan, Apr 13, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
    JetsNation06 likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

You could be right, of course, but I doubt it in this circumstance. I didn't read one single negative word about him and I read everything I could find. If there was some dirt I can't see how it wouldn't have come out the way these kids are put under a microscope.

The Giants needed a QB and believed that if they didn't take Jones someone would before their pick at #17. The Jets didn't take him because Mac is a moron.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  11. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

A truly horrible draft by a lame GM.

Including a UDFA as a ‘success’ pick? Do these guys know what the UD of UDFA stands for?

tomdeb likes this.
  12. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Funny that you mention a "high 2" for Q. I suggested about 2 weeks ago that the jets consider offering Q for Washington's 2nd round choice (a high 2) in 2020 and OT Trent Williams. Some poster on this board named "Joe" went absolutely ballistic screaming that I was "dumb," that anybody wanting to move Q was "nutty, " that Q won the Outland trophy, etc. Actually I don't think Washington would have even accepted the hypothetical trade as Q did not show much last year and then was arrested on gun charges this offseason. Let's hope that Joe does not read your proposal (which does not even include the OT as mine did) --might set "Joe" off again.

13. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

Haha I don't think that's a crazy idea at all. I think it just depends on how one feels about what type of player we have in Q--if someone feels like he's going to become Aaron Donald then I don't blame that person for going to bat for him. Personally, I don't see how he develops into that type of player.

14. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Thats what overreacting fans do. They trade a player who everyone saw as a dominating player, who many thought was the best player in the draft off of one season.

15. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Totally agree. Terrible pick by MacCagnan especially because it looks like again the jets will play 3-4 defense--They have recently signed/resigned three more INSIDE LBs to go with the three inside LBs they had. They should move Q prior to/at the 2020 draft while he still has SOME value. Another mediocre season from him like last year and you won't get jack squat for him. And, as several have just pointed out, you don't spend the #3 pick of the draft on a guy to just clog the line.

16. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

LOL if it takes that much for you to get your mind right then its not gonna happen.

Footballgod214 and tomdeb like this.
  17. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

ur prob right. I really wonder what's wrong with him, and what it was like having him on the team during TC from a player and coaching perspective. To have to much god given talent but not be right in the head is sad.

18. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

If you want an idea watch the series Last Chance U on Netflix. It follows a high level JUCO program. It shows how entitled, lazy and stupid some of these top athletes are.

These kids would have the world by the balls if they could only manage to get out if their own way.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Footballgod214 likes this.