The Golden Stream

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by abyzmul, Mar 1, 2021.

1. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

The animation is really cool.

The new Cowboy Bebop is live action. Harold from Harold and Kumar is the lead, very odd casting choice. It definitely is true to the anime source material, moreso than most live action anime crossovers which tend to be terrible.

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Ah OK, I had seen a preview in bad light and thought it was animated. Still might give it a shot.

3. abyzmul

I don't know if it's just me, but the beginning of that Wheel of Time series is just boring.

4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Not overly impressed with Paramount+ so far. Mayor of Kingstown just made itself so convoluted to kill a criminal for a stupid reason after an awesome first episode.

I like this Coyote show a bit with Michael Chiklis but it got cut to six episodes with no concrete renewal and it’s desperately trying to be Breaking Bad.

abyzmul likes this.
  5. JackBower

So I recently put on Jojo's Bazzare Adventure (Netflix) not really expecting much... But I find it to be pretty damn good.

It's a typical anime with power ups and bigger/more explosives fights, but it also makes fun of the classic anime tropes in ways I find hilarious.. like having a character named Weather Forecast who can control the weather, another character named Speedwagon, or a conversation about getting turned on by looking at the moon through prison bars and masturbating and getting caught by the guards (this is the first conversation of the new season)..... The writing and the characters taking the rediculus things they say serious definitely made me laugh more than once.

The whole first season is in a real silly version of old English that will make some laugh and probably really annoy others.

#145 JackBower, Dec 7, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
    abyzmul likes this.
  6. abyzmul

S6E1 of The Expanse was just released. I keep waiting for the letdown season, and for me it hasn't happened yet. Every time I think I'm going to sour on a season, they kill it.

Before this series started, I had heard of only 2 of the actors.

7. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

'Dexter: New Blood'. It sucks on so many levels.

Female cop pulls over Dexter without cause and feels him up and sexually assaults him. They're role playing in upstate NY.

Dexter's son shows up and in a span of 3 weeks, they're all I love you, Dad! I love. you, son! I would do anything to protect my son! Harrison had been living in Argentina and knows many languages. He somehow winds up in America and lived in shitty foster homes and took a bus from Miami.

He goes to High School and becomes the most greasy haired teenager in world history to become a chick magnet. He aces all of his tests. He's deemed a genius. He Facetimes. And then suddenly, he's a wrestling maven, probably learned in the Amazon Basin. At the same time, the Holiday Season somehow goes on for 50 years.

Some Social Media jackass has a podcast Murder Something thing and almost gets murdered until Dexter shows up. The guy who plays the shit cop stepfather in Pet Sematary 2 and shoots the Husky, too bad he didn't get to shovel more mashed potatoes into his face. I knew he was the serial killer from the very first close-up with him wearing a white balaclava.

[​IMG]

This show is so laughably terrible, hahaha. At least I'm pirating it. So that's my review.

#147 jetophile, Dec 27, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2021
  8. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Anyone streaming "Inhumans"? Just found it and it got me hooked. Well written and great character development.

9. JackBower

I mean this review is extremely inaccurate, but your opinion of not liking it is if course fine.

The cop was his girlfriend, not understanding the sexuality assault claim.

The second paragraph, you watched the show? It's a genuine question as again none of this happened in the events you described. The whole show is about their rocky relationship because Dexter won't open up and Harrison doesn't understand his violent urges. There was no love fest until the end after Dexter opened up.

The reason he's beloved at school is like a huge plotline in the show. Are you just trying to prevent spoilers? I have no idea where you get chick magnet from. There's a very specific event that happens that causes his fame. He didn't just walk in and all chicks wanted to bang him.

The foster care, Argentina and wrestling plotlines are borderline throw away lines or segments that have zero impact on anything in the show. He spoke a different language like once for two seconds. I think your going for humor. Lol?

The killer was very obvious. His trophies were pretty epic though.

I give it a 7/10, there were some real dumb moments actually relevant to what was going on and some real questionable decision making. But Dexter also wasnt crisp and detailed Dexter from Miami so some of his mistakes felt legit... It wrapped up Dexter way better than the original. The last episode had some good payoff and consequences.

#149 JackBower, Jan 22, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2022
    IDFjet likes this.
  10. jetophile

I know it's his gf, I said they were role-playing. The rest is how it all struck me. As to spoliers, I don't dime.

The original 'Dexter' should have ended long before it did, which would have given it an A-, but they unnecessarily dragged it out into complete stupidity and ended up with a D. I can't possibly think of any reason to do a reboot of this show unless the show's creators are trying to somehow redeem themselves for the stupid af ending, which they aren't doing a very good job of IMO. To each his own, but we'll see, I guess.

I have to commend you for being rational (no sarcasm). You should have seen what it was like back in the day with the show 'Lost' (which I hated). "OK, so Hurley is on a deserted tropical island without food, but instead of losing 100 lbs he keeps getting fatter." "They explained that!" Angry mob ensues. It's absolutely amazing to me how some people get so worked up over TV shows that they would stab you in the neck with an ice-pick if they could. IT'S A TV SHOW, YO.

JackBower likes this.
  11. JackBower

I watched lost until someone got killed by a puff of smoke. That was the end for me, I think it went like 5 more seasons

12. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Lost was one of the best TV shows I've ever watched. Probably the best.

13. JackBower

Not for me. Too many rediculus events that just pass by the either don't get explained or just totally ignored like it never happened. Like the guy getting killed by a puff of smoke. It was explained to me that was never directly answered, but the smokes existence was near the end of the show in a very "we had to say something" sort of way. Also like 5 plus seasons after it occurred.

And I like sci Fi, so it's not easy for me to get annoyed by stuff like that.

#153 JackBower, Jan 23, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2022
    barfolomew likes this.
  14. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

The puff of smoke was very much explained. But I hear you. It's not for everyone.

15. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Probably the best non-HBO show other than Breaking Bad. The Americans is up there too.

bicketybam likes this.
  16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Never watched Lost but the Americans is super underrated IMO.

Anyone watch the new half season of Ozark? I wasn’t overly impressed. They’ve made the Byrds a bit too larger than life and protected for my liking.

17. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

Anyone watching 1883, the prequel to Yellowstone? I'm liking this one a lot. Not bad acting from a couple of country singers.

18. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I thought it was decent too--hated the ending but not because it was lame--just love the guy. As entertainment goes, it was top-notch if you liked original Dexter--at least for me.

19. jetophile

'Ozark' is so good. Julia Garner deserved her two Emmy Awards. I mentioned her in the horror thread for the movie 'We Are What We Are' some years back (it's actually a remake of a Mexican film).

Anyway, "You'll have to fcking KILL MEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" Over the top performance. I'm sure the memes are in full force. She's from the Bronx, so it's really straight up unbelievable acting. I could never get away with a Southern accent, haha.

20. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Just watched "The Line" from Apple TV (there are ways to watch without being subscribed).

It's about the Eddie Gallagher case - a Navy SEAL who was accused of stabbing an ISIS prisoner of war to death. The Line was very well done, anyone with any interest in the topic will probably enjoy it a lot.