The Golden Stream

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by abyzmul, Mar 1, 2021.

1. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I started watching 'Your Honor'. Outside of the first episode, it's not holding my interest as much as I thought it would . . . ? I'm on Ep 4.

I think Bryan Cranston and Hope Davis are better than the material. I'll stick it out and watch through Season 2 and then see if I'm gonna bail.

2. jetophile

I watched two episodes of 'Gotham'. Yawn, see ya. I really try not to come down too hard on Superhero stuff which I generally absolutely fcking hate, but every time I try to do it with an open mind no matter the deal, I feel like I'm suffocating from the suck.

I have heard that Mark Hamill's voice overs as the Joker in the animated 'Batman' series is wild. I also detest everything Star Wars for the most part, but I really like him, so I would be more than willing to give that a shot. It sounds so much more true to form. I don't see why we have to have live action movies of the genre ad nauseum when animation of comics is such a better idea?????

I loved the old "Batman' show as a kid (and I still do) because it was so colorful, over the top, and campy as Hell, and it was "comical"??? Today: "You just don't get Bruce Wayne's suffering!" when it comes to the non-stop assault of these movies. My answer to that is that there are starving people in India, what's your point.

I'm a tough customer, I know.

3. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

I really liked this latest season of Fargo. I haven’t seen any of the prior seasons but someone sold me on this one and I got hooked. Looking back, you’re right - it has flaws. I think they did as good a job with Jon Hamm as anyone can, when you try to turn a Hollywood prettyboy into a North Dakota thug-sheriff-slash-rightwingmilitialeader. Trying to think of who I’d prefer but the problem I’m having is - I’m not sure how many of the best actor/villains could pull off a North Dakota accent (Hamm really couldn’t either) without changing the character profile. Like, making Javier Bardem a Venezuelan crime lord who took over a corner of ND and somehow organized a nationalist militia. Quirky with great potential.

I also found Dave Foley’s character really distracting. Can’t put my finger on it. Might be because I have him typecast in my head as the station manager in News Radio. One of my old favorites.

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Yeah, holy crap. Danish Graves really felt like he was plucked from an unrelated story and inserted into this one, and I usually think Dave Foley is great. I always get stuck on KITH with him so the character itself didn't bother me, he just didn't really fit.

5. jetophile

'Trial & Error' Season 1. I never bothered beyond that, but John Lithgow was brilliant, and the O.J. Simpson murder jokes were glorious. This won't translate, but when I saw this scene originally, I laughed so hard I almost choked to death.

Murder Board! Murder Murder Board! What an underrated freshman effort.

Edit:

Michael Peterson's wife reference killed by an Owl defense that he didn't use.

Fun fact: The presiding Judge starred in 'Jeepers Creepers'. I never forget a face.

It's on Amazon Prime now, which I don't pay for. I don't pay for anything.

#585 jetophile, Jul 14, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2024
  6. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Saw the first hour of Tulsa King with Stallone tonight on CBS - looks like it's scheduled to run until fall. Did anyone watch it on Paramount+ when it came out a year or two ago and is it worth continuing? Looks like it might just be some typical formulaic showcase for an aging tough guy and sanitized for network TV at the same time.

7. abyzmul

I made it about 40 minutes, I can't really take Stallone anymore though.

Ralebird likes this.
  8. jetophile

The only decent thing he did after the first 'Rocky' was 'First Blood' . . . and it's just because it's unintentionally hilarious.

9. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Thanks - I was kind of hoping it turned around after they set the stage. Looks like a pass.

10. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

It's funny at times and well as a little cheesy, but it kept me entertained.

Ralebird likes this.
  11. jetophile

This what I mean about 'Trial & Error' Season 1.

12. abyzmul

I think I might take a look at Kaleidoscope next. Netflix offering that has non-linear storytelling, so you can watch any episode in any order as long as you leave the finale episode for last. Giancarlo Stanton, Rufus Sewell and some other halfway familiar names.

13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It was good and pretty compelling.

I don’t really get why they did that though. It’s not like you’d ever go back and watch a different order to see if it still makes sense? At least not in a short enough time to remember it all.

abyzmul likes this.
  14. abyzmul

Yeah, I'm not sure what the experience is supposed to benefit in this scenario, other than witness them saying "hey look what we did". It's mostly writing acrobatics with not a lot of payoff.

15. jetophile

'Meet, Marry, Murder'. Never has murder and death been so hilarious. I bumped into this gem a couple of years ago, and I just ran into it again. Is it a comedy skit? No! But it has to be a parody of something that I can't quite figure out.

Dr. Judy Ho, Forensic Psychologist, is the best analyzing these assholes.

I have decided that Michelle Trachtenberg is a national treasure. "Is her behavior looking very shady? I know actors." "Tia has shown an unhealthy interest in cashing in her husband's life insurance policy." "She can't squeeze out a tear or two?" "What were the chances she would survive the marriage?" "As Tiffany popped out two more kids, it became a problem."

Trash true crime TV at its finest. "I'm Michelle Trachtenberg, and I will meet you next time at Meet, Marry, Murder." Hahahahahaha. On Roku free.