The Golden Stream

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by abyzmul, Mar 1, 2021.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I recently cut Hulu and Netflix. Going with Youtube and Paramount+.

Hulu's catalog is just too small to be a good investment and I've mined it out over the years. Netflix was threatening too charge me for my Vietnamese and Burmese cousins and I figured the safe way out was just to cut off the account. I think I had a login from Katmandu last month and it's become obvious that I just can't control my Netflix password at this point.

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I start and stop my subscriptions quarterly and binge all of the annual content from a provider over a few months.

3. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Thank you for your start and stop service.

Jonathan_Vilma and abyzmul like this.
  4. Br4d

This sounds suspiciously similar to taking down squirrels with a pellet gun to avoid paying for real meat. :)

5. abyzmul

I think they are fine with it as long as I come back a few months a year and don't pirate their content.

Plus, I get the most bang for my buck. It's not squirrels, it's tatanka.

Sundayjack likes this.
  6. Br4d

Oh great, now I have the image of Kevin Costner holding his fingers out by his ears and saying "tatanka! tatanka!" as he makes buffalo charging motions and I can't get it out of my head...

Sundayjack likes this.
  7. abyzmul

The rare monotone earworm.

Sundayjack likes this.
  8. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Does Hulu have Rick and Morty? It's the only reason I want to get it for a month or two.

9. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

Yeah, interesting you say that. I think that’s where the movie falls short. It’s still a good standalone movie, but there’s a crapload of backstory the movie brushes on but doesn’t have the time to develop in two hours. The Haydon-Prideaux relationship. The full extent of Smiley’s prior interaction with Karla. How Control saved Toby Esterhaus and brought him into the Circus. The over/under on how many blowjobs Connie Sachs dished out to the dudes around the Circus. Sooooo many questions, and all pretty important to the core storyline.

Not sure which version I started. I’ll take your word on this and I’ma look for the uncut BBC version, now that you’ve got me all worked up about the stunted backstories. Point @Br4d. Don’t a big head about it, though. Christmas season and I’m feeling vulnerable. Still working out whether to be jolly or gay. :)

barfolomew likes this.
  10. Sundayjack

I ran a couple laps with the TTSS series last week - the BBC version. Streams free on YouTube. It was interesting, but it just never grabbed me like I was hoping. Blame it on the 2011 vs 1979 production. Compared to the film, the series has the feel of the set of a Monty Python sketch, minus the hilarity. Alec Guinness carried me as far as he could. I may finish it at some point so I can fill in some of the gaps in the movie. Or I could read the book.

barfolomew likes this.
  11. Sundayjack

Anyone have thoughts on the Netflix series Clark? The description caught my eye - “The story of Clark Olofsson, the man behind Stockholm syndrome, who fooled all of Sweden to love him despite his crimes.” Decent reviews. Except, I watched about five minutes of the first episode - pretty friggin’ freaky. Starts off with Clark in utero, as a fetus with an adult head. He does an opening monologue and then wheels around into a breast stroke and swims out his mother’s vagina. That’s as far as I got

BrowningNagle likes this.
  12. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

WTF!

13. Br4d

The series is very low-key because that's how LeCarre wrote it. That's why Alec Guinness was so good in the role of Smiley at an advanced age.

The thing about the movie that most impressed me was how Gary Oldman took an iconic character who had been played by a master and made it his. When I think about George Smiley now I am as likely to see Oldman's face as Guinness and that is an amazing accomplishment by the former.

Also, don't finish TTSS, instead watch Smiley's People. It was the better of the two series and it had a satisfying finish that TTSS somehow lacked.

I'm very much hoping Oldman is willing to listen if they pitch Smiley's People to him. Love to see him in the role again.

barfolomew likes this.
  14. Sundayjack

Thanks for that.

As for Gary Oldman, you really should give Slow Horses a try. Picture a sloppy but still really savvy George Smiley.

15. Sundayjack

Yeah. What’s worse is that it’s not at all biologically accurate. The camera shoots between Clark’s mother’s legs, into her birth canal and up into her uterus to the monologuing Clark fetus. He closes out his opening speech with “Let’s rock and roll,” and then spins and swims in the opposite direction, toward her large intestine. Pretty unrealistic.

16. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

That's some weird-ass bizarre shit.

17. abyzmul

The whole thing is worth a watch, I loved it. I liked some of the other Skarsgard brothers, but my only exposure to Bill was Pennywise... not exactly an opportunity to prove your chops. He is so good in this show that I am seeking out his other movies.

The whole series is shot through the lens of a criminal narcissist and it is twisted and awesome.

18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

See I'm getting the opposite feeling myself. The description sounds boring but your review sounds awesome

19. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

I actually prefer the middle novel of the Karla books, The Honorable Schoolboy, but agree that Smiley's People wraps it up better than TTSS. I think Le Carre wrote a lot more Smiley books but only the three that really follow on. Both series and film do a pretty good job of adapting TTSS.

barfolomew and Br4d like this.
  20. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

Just watched the newest episode of the last of us. Really good show so far but i want more zombie killing. It was fun to see nick offerman in such a role again