The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. GoldenShowers

GoldenShowers Well-Known Member

The object of the draft isn't to win the draft. It's to build the best team. If he doesn't perform to expectations, it's a failure.

Jets had a need at OLB in 2008, and took the best one on their board. It's about getting elite guys who make impact on your club every week.

2. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Ben Rothlisberger and his 2 SB says high.

3. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Take this for what it's worth since it involves loose cannon Stephen A. Smith, but Smith just minutes ago claimed that a high level insider in the NFL told him that Gino (because of his attitude) has a chance of becoming "the black Ryan Leaf" (Smith's words). I would like to think this kid is not going to sabotage his NFL dreams by being a petulant brat with such a golden opportunity staring him in the face. And, I hope he succeeds for the good of the Jets and himself.

4. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Even if Geno is an asshole so what, at least that means he'll have a chip on his shoulder on the field and will play with some damn heart. There are plenty of asshole QB's running around the league right now that are all pretty good players. I hope Geno is as good or better than some of them.

5. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I hope Geno is reading all this negative bullshit directed at him right now and turning it into motivation.

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

See this is an example of hysterical hyperbole. Geno Smith can't become the black Ryan Leaf. He wasn't drafted #2 overall and the best QB in NFL history wasn't taken right before him on the #1.

7. Br4d

I hope just the opposite. I hope Geno is just tuning it all out and getting ready for camp.

As an athlete the time to read your press clippings is when you're enjoying a nice sunny retirement somewhere and want a blast from the past.

8. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I am remembering the scene from hard knocks where LT has all the negative press clippings about him delivered to his dorm room (maybe personally from Rex?) and he is using it as motivation. I wouldn't be shocked if they do this for more or all players.

9. GoldenShowers

GoldenShowers Well-Known Member

Bc I'm sure getting angry about negative press will erase his lack of skills as a QB. LMFAO.

10. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Damn, the black Ryan Leaf...I hope somebody passes that along to Geno

11. NotSatoshiNakamoto

What are the skills he is lacking?

12. Br4d

He's lacking the skills to get recruited to Alabama, Florida State, etc. GoldenShowers told us this in a burst of sheer brilliance given that it took me all of 30 seconds to fact check it and find out he was wrong.

The thing to realize here is that GoldenShowers is pure troll on this subject. He has already blatantly lied (or failed to research) about it in furtherance of his supposed point and gotten caught out in the process.

Now he expects people to take his opinions of Geno Smith's skills seriously, despite the fact that he can't even get the facts straight, let alone the analystical stuff.

BTW, here's a list of Geno's offers from colleges out of high school:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Eugene-Smith-54297

West Virginia, Alabama, Clemson, Florida, Florida St., Louisville, Miami (FL), Michigan, Oregon, South Florida.

All those schools made offers. He visited Alabama first, then WVU (his college coaches alma mater) and then came home and signed a letter of intent with WVU. He ignored home state options including his home town.

#852 Br4d, May 2, 2013
    Last edited: May 2, 2013
  13. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

because he was in an air raid offense it means all decisions were made for him so he can't read.

he also apparently can't make a particular range of throws or something like that.

Because of this, people doubt his stats accuracy reflects the mans ability, because its not like he ever had to make decisions in a snap, nope. all done for him.

14. BleedGreenDaily

Ben doesn't fit your argument. He doesn't have that behavior.

15. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

that would require a level of maturity/level headedness that is currently being questioned.

16. BleedGreenDaily

That is the last thing you should hope a QB should be doing...

17. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

i heard mayock say that he has a tape "roll" of geno smith missing wide open receivers.

now that statement can have many moving parts of course but of course that one of the things that raised mayocks flag a bit.

18. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

It's amazing how much hate/criticism Geno is facing BEFORE he even takes his first snap. Not just from the media but from Jets fans also.

How the heck can a 2nd rounder bust like a black Ryan Leaf?? WTF is going on here. Everybody calm down & at least wait till preseason before passing judgement on this guy.

19. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I don't think it's accurate at all to say he never had to make decisions. That is incorrect based on the little bit I know about him.

I also think it's inaccurate to say he can't make a particular range of throws. Based on what I've seen he can make every throw just fine.

What throw can't he make?

20. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

Please explain what skills he lacks?

Above average arm strength-- Check
    Accuracy on short, intermediate, and long throws-- Check
    Mobility/Athlete-- Check (4.59?)
    Football IQ-- Check, Check, Check
    Work Ethic/gymrat-- Check
    Experience/Production-- Check (3+ year starter? Sanchez had what? 16 games?)

West Virginia's offense was not half as easy to run as some make it out to be. He has all the tools. He honestly doesn't have any significant weaknesses. He will be a solid QB as long as his IQ and work ethic translate to the NFL. Look this over for a second.

2009- 5 games, 309 yards, 65.3 %, 1-1 TD-INT

2010- 13 games, 2,763 yards, 64.8%, 24-7 TD-INT

2011- 13 games, 4,385 yards, 65.8%, 31-7 TD-INT

2012- 13 games, 4,205 yards, 72.8%, 42-6 TD-INT

Throw in that his line was absolutely terrible as well. He got better every year even though he had stellar seasons each of the last three. He is well worth the second round pick.