The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

3 times a game, maybe 4 tops. If Geno is running more than that his career will likely be cut short by injuries.

This last season 50 of his 72 runs came in the Jets 8 wins. That was a tacit admission that his skills and surrounding personnel were not up to the task of winning last year with Geno in the pocket. He's going to have to get better at being a passing QB moving forward or he's going to wind up hurt. You can't run the ball as much as he was doing in the Jets wins without getting hurt eventually.

2. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

First, young QBs that CAN run always force their HC to get on them for running every time they sense the least bit of pressure. Geno seems to have an aversion to running that should make Rex a bit happy.

Second, being able to run and using it here or there is really good. I've seen Marino, Bledso, Manning, Brady all try and scramble and they look like their running in molasses. Super slow motion.

So when Geno takes off and actually gets 10-15 yards it's really a nice thing, especially since he really doesn't run so much that the other team has a LB waiting for him.

edit: like br4 said, 3-4 times a game running for a 1st down when the play breaks done is really a good thing.

3. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

If Woody had sent those SB tics over last week we could have avoided all this :beer:

4. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

It's hard to compare any QB to Wilson's pocket presence. I think the lack of height actually helped him become more aware than your normal, average young QB because he already had to work to get throwing angles. Geno definitely this year tried a few times to make a huge play or go through a defender while running. Sometimes it was necessary (thinking of that 3rd down against NE) and other times it wasn't. It's definitely something he needs to work on, you can't be flipping or diving into the end zone or lowering your shoulder as a QB.

Yeah, they used Geno as a runner because it was probably one of the most effective parts of the offense. That's why we always heard stories of MM and Rex wanting Geno to use his legs more, it was our big play machine. I think next season, if the talent pans out, we will see less of Geno running and less designed run plays for him.

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Yeah, there's no question that Geno was the best play maker on offense last year. Unfortunately that was due to the absence of real play makers due to injuries and lack of talent.

6. RexontheBeach

RexontheBeach Well-Known Member

and what do you suggest he correct? coach..?

7. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Hopefully with a better Qb on the roster we will see less of Geno running for that reason.

8. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Heh, that's definitely another way to limit his running. :)

9. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

It certainly is. Heh.

10. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Idk if this has been posted or not, but I just watched it, and figured I'd share.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWC8HWKECaQ

Ugh God I hate this shit on here. Try everything I can to post the actual video, but none of this in the advanced posting section works, so a link is all I can do.

#7530 NYJalltheway, Jan 31, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2014