The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Laszlo Kovacs

Laszlo Kovacs Active Member

2. endydee

endydee Active Member

I was just looking at the Jets roster on ESPN website, and they list Geno Smith wearing number 12. I think not! How stupid are they at ESPN?

3. WVUMountaineers

WVUMountaineers New Member

When Geno was drafted by the Jets, I was very happy for him and thought it was a good opportunity in NY. I think Garrard is a great mentor for him and I hope he's given time to develop because I know that he has the ability and work ethic to be a very successful NFL QB. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but most of the negative comments I've read on here are based on flawed logic. You were able to get a QB that by all accounts was a consensus Round 1 grade at 39 and addressed other needs in this draft. I think that your new OC, who by all accounts is a QB guru, can have a great impact on Geno and with a strong draft at TE and WR next season, I think the talent will be there for you to compete at a high level. It seems almost every other need has been addressed.

-He was told from the time the season ended that he'd be a First Round pick. He was sitting there with the cameras on him constantly and was understandably frustrated. However, I haven't seen it mentioned that when E.J. Manuel and Xavier Rhodes were selected, he stood up and congratulated both of them. E.J. even tweeted about the type of character that showed on Geno's part.

-During the losses, Geno was upset but it was because he tried to carry the team and wanted to win so badly. He lost one of his top targets (Bailey) for a few games during that stretch and with the struggles with the defense, tried to do it all himself because he was undoubtedly the leader of the team.

-I've seen criticism of the system he played in and historically, the knock on most Air Raid QB's is a lack of arm strength. That is not the case in the slightest with Geno. The system the past two years included a greater emphasis on the vertical passing game with him because of his arm strength and ability to make tough throws down the field. He was also given a lot of autonomy to audible at the line of scrimmage based on the defensive alignment. It has been shown that he can scan the entire field and check down if necessary. It just happened that his primary read most of the time was to Tavon or Stedman, and the majority of the time they were able to create separation immediately so there wasn't a need to go through his progressions.

-The guys that have met him and IMO are the most knowledgeable of the position (Dilfer and Jaws especially) have had nothing but great things to say about Geno and his ability to succeed at this level. Mayock, who some have pointed to his negative comments, even gave Geno a First Round grade. Dilfer talked about the summer that Geno was a counselor at the Elite 11 Camp and was given an 80+ page playbook around 3 weeks before the camp. The participants were required to know the playbook front to back, but not so much the counselors. He stated more than one time that he owned this playbook and could have taught it to the other QB's himself. All of his coaches have said that he is always in the film room putting a ton of time in to both improve himself and study the opposition.

-He was in an entirely different offensive system his freshman and sophomore seasons. During his sophomore season when not in an Air Raid offense, he still threw for 2,700+ yards with 24 TDs and only 7 INTs. In three seasons as a starter in two different leagues, he threw for 97 TDs and 20 INTs with a completion percentage over 65%. He protects the football and makes good decisions, which is what I constantly read is the criticism of your starting QB for the last 4 years.

-I've seen comments on here knocking the Air Raid offense and even stating they'd rather have the chance to draft Manziel next season. What system to you think he, as well as former #1 selection Sam Bradford play or had played in? Sumlin (former OC at Oklahoma and HC at TX A&M) runs a version of the Air Raid offense.

I cannot post links yet here because of my post count, but there is a video on youtube that a KC Chiefs' fan put together awhile back trying to justify KC taking Geno #1 overall entitled "Geno Smith: Worthy of the #1 Pick." I really recommend taking a look at it, because there is a lot of good footage showing you the type of QB you now have on your roster.

4. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

That is some great analysis. Was that offense in year 2 the one that was run with Bill Stewart at the helm?

[YOUTUBE]FTZZh4cKfXs[/YOUTUBE]

#684 SienaSaints, Apr 30, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  5. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Good post. I don't get the criticism of him firing his agent or threatening to leave the draft early. That means nothing to me.

I'm not convinced in Geno. He played in a system that causes most QBs to be productive, he threw to very good receivers, and he struggled against better defenses for the most part last season.

That said, he's got a good arm, accuracy and mobility, and he works hard. Lot of tools to work with there.

The completion percentage is inflated because of many of the short passes, many even behind the line of scrimmage. But he did throw some downfield passes and showed good touch in many of the games I watched.

And he has NEVER played with a good defense. He had to score 50 a game last year, or WVU had no shot most games.

6. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Nice have a Geno fan on board instead of the other QB, us that word lightly...welcome aboard.

7. talisaynon

talisaynon Well-Known Member

The red flags about Geno are his inability to make multiple reads. Pretty big one if you ask me.

8. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I wonder if its gonna be another invasion.. LOL

9. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

I don't mind people who are here to root for individual players, except when there are 10,000 of them and they're all insane!

10. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Most Tebow fans weren't football fans and certainly not Jet fans.

11. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

Yea I have read that too. In the video that he was talking about that I posted you can see him actually moving his head around. I think he does study well and that is a lot of what goes into being able to read a defense.

There are two things in sports knowing what to do (he seems to study a lot and he seems very intelligent) and being able to execute that under pressure. He does seem to have shown that at least somewhat.

12. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I'm OK with Geno and getting him in the second round it was a good value.. I'm glad we didn't invest a 1st round pick on Smith.

Jet fans need to give him a chance. He will have a learning curve coming from the system they ran at WVU.

13. bobby2times

bobby2times Member

Thats because he wasnt asked to in the Air Raid offense. You should be concerned that he's coming from a gimmick offense.

14. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I think Geno needs to improve his pocket presence and awareness. A lot of the tape I've seen, he never seems to step up in the pocket, just let's it rip. Footwork needs a little bit of work also. He's got the arm though. The footwork will improve his accuracy.

15. WVUMountaineers

For some reason, I'm not able to quote posts.

-Yes, Coach Stewart was at WVU Geno's freshman and sophomore years. A little FYI, one of your DEs (Finau) originally signed his LOI to be a part of Geno, Stedman, and Tavon's recruiting class in 2009 but there was an issue with a few of his credits transferring from his JUCO in AZ and he ended up at Utah.

-I don't know why people are saying he doesn't go through his reads. Mel Kiper Jr., who I think was one of the more critical of Geno, said he reads sideline to sideline when necessary in the pocket. I also think with a successful NFL OC like Mornhinweg and game experience at this level, he's only going to improve in this area. As I stated a lot of times he didn't have to go past his first read bc Stedman and Tavon were always open. Please take a look at the video I mentioned. It addresses this and shows footage of him scanning the entire field and finding the open WR.

Geno can make any throw asked of him, is mobile in the pocket, and protects the football. With some time to develop and a few more weapons at WR and TE, I really believe he can have a very successful NFL career with the Jets. Most of the pieces are almost in place with your organization to compete at a high level.

BTW, I saw a Kent St. game live this past year and was told to watch out for Winters. He's a beast and should start from day one. I thought that was another very good pick by your FO.

16. WVUMountaineers

What is it with the comments about the offense he played in and why aren't they the same for Manziel, who plays in the same type of system (HC at WVU Dana Holgorsen was OC at Houston when Kevin Sumlin was their HC). Geno is not the "stereotypical" (which I don't buy into BTW) Air Raid QB because he wasn't recruited to play in that system. He can make all the throws and was trusted enough to make changes at the LOS. That should be all that matters, as your HC and OC will teach him the WCO.

17. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I don't think Manziel is going to be good at this stage. He's a playmaker but Geno is a far better passer. I hope he does well with us. I just think he needs some major tweaking to his game

18. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

The WCO is all quick reads and short routes. One of his Geno's stenght's is his accuracy. He is excellent at leading receivers and putting the ball in the right spot for YAC. I can't wait for his camp!

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I don't believe that flag at all. Just go watch the video on him. The facts are that he had two good WR's playing with him and each of them caught 114 passes. If you're in that situation you're going to throw to your first read fairly often because he's got his guy beat.

If you watch the full game videos of him you'll see him make his share of second and third reads. You'll also see him throw a lot of passes to his first read in a tight window.

He's got the goods to be a WCO QB. If he doesn't work out it isn't likely to be a football smarts issue that gets him. It's more likely to be a speed of the game issue.

20. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

Great analysis and great vid.

Sanchez couldn't make 80% of those throws.