The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Right now Holmes isn't a quality WR. He is clearly mailing it in. Looks like a guy trying to get out of the season without an injury.

Look Geno has looked awful at times. But he has made some throws and he is in a terrible situation with the Jets. It's hard for me to believe the guy who lookedcompletely clueless with nobody on O looked like a pretty good looking rookie with one decent WR. It could be a blind dog smelling a bone under his nose but it could be he may actually be an NFL prospect with some real upside?

I just can't watch the Jets this year and get overly concerned about the play of rookies when there are so many badly fielded positions on both sides of the ball.

2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

you didn't watch him yesterday I see.

3. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I hear you here. I was very unhappy with the Milliner situation since it all came as a result of the Revis trade, and whether a deal could have been worked out for Revis or not, it still bothers me that Woody did not even try to find out if that was possible. The need for Milliner to get in there and succeed came directly from the Revis trade, and when Milliner did not do that, it was painfully obvious how much the Jets miss Revis.

But... those who labelled Milliner a bust were also too quick to do so, and I believe it is critical that Milliner work out. So patience is indicated, and I in fact think he is showing progress.

Richardson is doing fine, and while many are really concerned about Winters, I think he will get better.

But Smith I do think about differently, since the Jets have had so much trouble getting decent Qb play since Favre was here for only one year. I was not even a fan of Chad, mostly because he could not stay on the field. Seeing Smith as a value pick who some argue now requires that the Jets not make any other significant move at Qb is troubling, and I disagree. Mediocre Qb play is not something the FO should accept, and they should instead keep at it until they can get a quality Qb on the team.

This is after all today's NFL and if the team is not going to even try to get a good Qb on the roster, I am not sure why we should bother following it.

So it's not that Smith is a rookie and I expected more. It's that the Jets need to do what they can to get a good Qb on the roster.

4. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Kerley was only in on 27 the offensive plays.

He had played well but that is not why we won this week.

Winslow, Holmes, and especially the Raiders defense had more to do with Geno's success than Kerley.

5. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

He had a decent game but did not look like a QB of the future. That's even if he had completed the Holmes TD pass which I believe was his best throw of the day.

6. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Agreed, Geno was the best QB the Jets put in the game on Sunday.

No more, no less.

7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

The Carolina game for me is a big test to show what truly Geno has to offer. Their front 7 is beastly, but they can be exposed in the secondary. Geno will need to make his progressions and get the ball out quickly.

8. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Looked like a pretty efficient game to me. Good ypa. Good completion percentage. Balanced O. Very good 3rd down conversion percentage. I'm not sure what you want to see? I saw a well managed, clean game with a couple of nice passes in the red zone that both should have been TD's.

Granted I was hopping he would self destruct and prove that we needed to go in another direction, I just didn't see that happen. That was the kind of QB play that the Jets would be happy to have over the last several years and I expect him to actually improve once he has some talent around him and a full off season to work with the talent.

9. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

agreed overall....... but right after that throw m father & I both said "That was probably the best throw he made all season"

He was nothing more than serviceable but serviceable with the JETS D could be good enough. Just keep em honest with some downfield chucks and cut out the turnovers...... sound familiar?

10. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Off the top of my head you might be right about that being his best throw of the season. Outside of that throw he was pretty erratic. When he was in the vicinity of the WR, the ball placement was pretty poor. The WRs were bailing him out all game long. As I've said in other threads, the best part about yesterday was his mental clock in the pocket. There was no burping the baby. If nothing was open a couple seconds at the top of his drop, he tucked it away and ran. There was no Roger Rabbitting his way to a 15 yards sack which I was very pleased with.

11. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

Pundits here are just showing their agenda. No matter what Geno does they will only see negativity. But that is their right. Geno has won 6 games and has fooled all the other pundits. The ones who get paid to write and / or report about the Jets. They said our team was only going to win two games. Well we are at 6 and Geno has been instrumental with very little talent on offense to assist him. Granted he was (and is raw) and extremely inexperienced when he reported to the Jets. Most Jets fans without an agenda knew that he was a project. They also knew it would take more then 13 games to look experienced. He has shown flashes of physical ability and a live arm to consider training him further and building a team around him. He has also shown a mental toughness that seems to be made for NY. Some QBs just can not handle NY. Geno looks like he can. We all knew this was a developmental year yet some here for their own reasons are overlooking that. They have a need to compare Geno to QBs that were drafted in recent years like LUCK and Wilson. They refuse to admit that those teams those QBs were drafted by had tons of offensive talent. I wonder how those QBs would have looked if they were drafted by the Jets and their lack of weapons?

Not a single person has stated that Geno has looked great! What has been said is that he shows good physical ability and mental toughness. It could be enough for the Jets to look further at him and try to build a team around him. Rome was not built in a day. This is after-all a developmental year for the whole team not just Geno. I thinlk we all knew that prior to the season and even the anti-Geno pundits said it! It willtake a few years to completely right this ship but its headed in the right direction.

#6571 Kentucky Jet, Dec 10, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  12. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

Geno has played GREAT all of once, that atlanta game was a masterpiece of clutch play as good as it gets for a first year player.

other than that he's had 4-5 good outings and games where he's struggled MIGHTILY. I reject the idea that QB's show all they have in their first year (or rather I reject the notion that Newton, RG3, and Luck's rookie year is the new standard) and I'm more willing to be patient, but I understand where people are coming from with their skepticism.

20 picks...13 TDs TOTAL. people won't say he's great with that. its what it is.

13. MenOverGod

MenOverGod Well-Known Member

If in his 13 total touchdowns, you must include his total number of turnovers not just interception. I think he's fumbled and lost the ball about 3 times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. nyjunc

I am not giving up on a rookie in any way but he hasn't had 4-5 good games.

TB- ok
    @NE- terrible
    Buf- ok
    @Ten- terrible
    @Atl- excellent
    Pit- terrible
    NE- ok
    @Cin- terrible
    NO- mediocre at best, best thing he did was not turn it over.
    @Buf- terrible
    @Bal- terrible
    Mia- terrible
    Oak- good

13 total TDs
    24 total TOs
    leading O to 16.2 PPG

Every rookie is expected to have ups and downs, the problem is there have rarely been ups but hopefully Sunday is a good sign to finish string. if he finishes strong I throw the first 3 months out the window.

15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Junc, if the games were played out exactly the same except Sanchez was the QB, I have a feeling you'd label games like the TB, BUF, NE, and NO wins as higher than "ok"..

I think it's obvious based upon your track record that would be the case.

Just admit - you are biased and harder on Geno than you ever were on Sanchez.

16. nyjunc

Instead of making excuses that you perceive to be true w/o any basis for fact how about you attack my post and show me where I am wrong about him?

17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Junc - you spend a whole summer labeling examples of 5 turnover games, or games in which Sanchez had more incompletions than completions as better than terrible. Conversely labeling wins in which he threw for paltry, comparable numbers to Geno's "ok" performances in wins, as much better than just ok.

Do I really have to go back and rehash these same arguments over and over again, or can't you just acknowledge that this is the case?

Either way I have a feeling that even If I did show you evidence of what I describe (and there are numerous!) you would make some kind of statement that I need to "add context" or something pathetic, so we really wouldn't have an argument at all. I'm going to save everyone the headache of beating a dead horse.

18. nyjunc

Do me a favor and please find those posts here I said Mark played well despite turning it over3-4-5 times?

The problem is poor reading comprehension on the part of the majority of the sanchez haters acting like I said he was great and could do no wrong. The reality is I was always fair w/ Mark as I am always fair w/ Geno but if I don't say mark was the worst QB ever then I must be saying he's the greatest and if I don't say Geno has been good I must be attacking him and judging him more harshly than mark.

So please either find those posts or be quiet and learn.

19. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

How is the Oakland game good but the Bucs, Bills(At Metlife), and Pats games ok? He was much better in the latter 3 over the former. And the Saints game is the definition of "Ok", not mediocre.

20. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

I love how when speaking of Geno he has won six games...when people bring up Sanchez he won because of defense, running games, and luck.