The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

The difference between Mark Sanchez's emotional problems and Geno Smith's is that Geno gets pissed and plays better, Mark sulks and you get the snowball effect.

I like Sanchez too, that is just the truth of the matter.

2. Sixto

Sixto Member

At least now we have hope, which if we didn't pick him we wouldn't.

3. Win4ever

Win4ever New Member

Not only does it give me hope, atleast I have a better shot in Madden with a QB that can actually hit his WRs in stride or not get picked off every other slant!!

Here is a list of the offensive guys (because I assume anyone and everyone here would've wanted offense with this pick) taken in the top 12 of the second round from say 2007 on...

2007:

Aaron Sears
    Kevin Kolb
    Zach Miller
    Justin Blablock
    John Beck
    Tony Ugoh
    Drew Stanton
    Sidney Rice
    Dwayne Jarrett

You got one star out of it in Rice.

2008:

Donnie Avery
    Devin Thomas
    Jordy Nelson
    John Carlson
    Chilio Rachal
    James Hardy
    Eddie Royal

You have one star out of it in Jordy Nelson.

2009:

Brian Robiske
    Eben Britton
    Pat White

Not exactly the greatest bunch there.

2010:

Roger Saffold
    Dexter McCluster
    Arrelious Benn
    Rob Gronkowski
    Zane Beadles

Obviously Gronkowski is the lone stud in this group.

2011:

Andy Dalton
    Collin Kapernick
    Ryan Williams
    Kyle Rudolph
    Titus Young

Dalton and Kapernick should be stars.

2012 (Might be a wee bit early, but might as well...)

Brian Quick
    Coby Fleener
    Mitchell Schwartz
    Amini Silatoilu
    Cordy Glenn
    Jonathan Martin
    Stephen Hill
    Jeff Allen

The jury is out on a lot of these guys, so I'll avoid them.

So what's the point? That's 4 stars out of 29 picks, or a success rate of 13%. This isn't like this pick is generating superstars left and right on offense and we missed our prime opportunity to grab a sure fire stud. The hit rate is pretty low. Smith doesn't have to be the second coming of Marino to actually be a GOOD pick. He can be a league average QB and actually be a GOOD pick for this slot. That is the difference in value from the first round to him falling to the second round.

Yeah we can argue that, there were stars taken later in the draft that would negate this post. I just wanted to show a 12 pick range near where our pick was, and on offense, to show that a lot of teams MISS badly on these picks. All these guys look great with highlight films and hope coming out, but a ton of them struggle.

As for Geno, I do like him a fair amount. He does have good upside. He has very good accuracy, and one thing I did notice was that, a fair amount of his interceptions were tipped first by his WR or the DB instead of straight picks. So while he might have been getting lucky like most QBs with dropped INTs, he was also a bit unlucky with a few tipped passes.

4. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Sanchez got a 28...I also agree with LJF...Geno has Football intelligence which is different then regular smarts.

Peyton got a 28 too you know, but he is a general out there on the field.I think the things that Geno needs to work on is being behind center and some of the fumbles

#544 Poeman, Apr 28, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

yea, but he also ran straight into the proctor and dropped the test paper

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Favre got a 22. Roethlisberger got a 25. Donovan McNabb got a 14.

Wonderlic score and QB excellence don't correlate very well. Chad Pennington got a 25...

Chad btw is a guy I see as very similar to Geno Smith in terms of background and college play. Every time I looked at Smith and tried to evaluate him there was this little voice in the back of my head saying "system QB, very efficient at running the system, had great players around him, played in the hills of West Virginia, led a middling program to great results." I think the biggest difference between Chad and Geno right now is WVU went to the Big 12 for Geno's senior year. They win about 3 more games minimum if they stay in the Big East, maybe more.

#546 Br4d, Apr 28, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  7. TexNYJ

TexNYJ New Member

Geno "Dumbfuck Retard Shitbag Crybaby" Smith is going tits up in his first season. You heard it here first. Just another crybaby piece of fucking shit that doesn't do anything but talk shit and cry. The cock gobbler didn't even play against real defenses and he's the product of a gimmick system offense. Why we blew a pick on this fuck nut is beyond me. Between him and Sanchez I don't know what the fuck this team is doing. Fuck this pick, fuck Rex, and fuck this entire circus sideshow we call the fucking Jets.

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Adding one more thing to my post above: it is impressive as hell that Geno Smith led the Mountaineers into a new conference with a fairly high level of competition and a wide-open offensive flow and managed to get them to a bowl.

They lose that shootout at Baylor where he passed for 656 yards and 8 TD's and they do not make that bowl game. They lose the game the next week @ Texas and they do not make that bowl game.

It's really hard to step into a new conference that has a bunch of established teams and play the way Geno did this year. The Mountaineer defense was absolutely shell-shocked the entire conference year. In their first 7 conference games they didn't give up less than 39 points and they gave up 45 to 63 in 6 of the 7 games.

Talk about heavy pressure on a QB.

9. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Don't sugar coat it, how do you really feel?

10. bucknasty

bucknasty Member

You sound like an educated man, im going to listen to everything you have to say.

11. nycztonee

nycztonee Active Member

A for effort. Can't say I didn't chuckle. Just curious where did you learned to say cock gobbler. :rolleyes:

12. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

To be honest I'm tired of hating this pick, I want to join the masses who seem to think this is a great deal. Can someone link me to some footage on YouTube that shows this franchise QB material as I haven't found it yet. Thanks in advance.

13. TexNYJ

TexNYJ New Member

Good idea you bunch clown fluffers. Can't wait for another year of Rex acting like a fucking clown, getting jobbed up the ass by officiating crews that hate us, and watching this gimmick offense idiot pout and cry all game after he throws pick after pick because he's never played against anything resembling a decent defense in his life. He's too busy crying and talking to the crowd on the bench. The Post better get their cartoonist ready because this year and the next are going to be a big fucking joke. These motherfuckers, arrrrgggghhhhh.

Geno "VY" Smith is going tits up son, you just watch. Bray, Barkley, Wilson, and Jones would have all been better picks.

Be back in a bit, think I'm having a stroke. If I die I want my tombstone to say: "Geno Smith Was a Horrible Fucking Pick and Rex's Wife's Feet Stink."

14. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

15. John

John Active Member

I cant post link because i dont have 50 posts but go on youtube and search Geno Smith Worthy #1 pick and the video is like 14 mins great video Geno does have lots of talent

16. Mayhem

Mayhem Active Member

Can we please give Marty M SOME credit here? I think he's earned some.

There is ZERO chance MM was not a key part of this draft pick. There is ZERO chance Woody, Idzik and Rex sat in a locked room, decided to pick Geno and then called in MM and said "we got Geno Smith! Hope you know what to do with him!".

As much as I didn't want to draft him, you know that MM decided that he would be a good fit for his system, and that he at least has the skills to be effective in that system. If he didn't, he'd be setting himself up to get fired in a couple years, regardless of what happens with Rex.

So let's all sit back, have a nice scotch (nothing from the speed rack or from a plastic bottle thank you very much), and see what Marty can do with the kid. Either way it will be a fun ride.

17. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

I'm not enamored with the pick too, but nothing's really changed. The plan is to still suck this season and then hopefully get a franchise QB in the first round in 2014. In the meantime we get to watch someone other than Sanchez, Garrard, or McElroy bore us to death and that makes me positively giddy! Throw Geno to the wolves this season and see what he's got. Maybe we strike gold. Most likely we don't. The plan still remains the same. Suck in 2013, draft a QB in 2014.

18. Mayhem

Mayhem Active Member

As much as some people may not like it, we will be competitive next year. At least competitive enought no not have a top 5 draft pick. And if this year is any indication, we are not going to sell the farm to move up in the 1st round. Which means the uber QBs next year wil go to the crap teams with no QB that will in no way trade out of said picks, especially to a team like us that will take one of the Über QBs.

Bottom line is I think we are hitched to the Geno Smith wagon for the next 2 years at least, so we'd all better get used to the idea.

19. Mavericknyc1980

Mavericknyc1980 Active Member

Zach Rodgers, poor mans Austin. He will contribute.

20. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

I can't take "fans" who think like that

You really think our front office has that plan smfh