The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

2. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

By pre-season a lot of people on here will be eating crow. 5 weeks into 2012, the "experts" were calling him the best player in CFB. He knows how to ball.

3. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

I love Tayvon but the dude is 5'7!! Geno was dropping bombs in his right hip pocket all day over 2 defenders. That is not easy. Yes, Austinmade some big plays out of 2 yard passes but don't get carried away. Unlike Samchez, Geno actually attempts passes beyond 15 yards.

4. JetsFanDoc

JetsFanDoc Well-Known Member

I actually heard somebody call up the radio and say "this is the next Ryan Leaf"...how is that possible when Ryan Leaf was taken 2 overall? Do people even have a clue what the NFL draft is all about? If they would have taken him at 9 or 13, then I would understand people being upset, I would probably not even like the move. But I see verrry little downside to taking this guy in the 2nd round! Didn't Jake Locker go like 8 overall?

The only reason Geno even fell that far is because of last year's draft. Many teams looked at this QB class in comparison to last year's class, and YES it is inferior. Of course it is inferior, last year's class has the possibility of being a historically proficient QB class. Do I think Geno was worthy of a 1st round pick? On a team more ready to start fresh with a QB and surround him with good talent in the mid-1st round, yes I do. I admit, the Jets situation now is extreeeemely unconventional. But when this great talent fell to them in the 2nd round, in my opinion that value is just too good to pass up. This is a similar spot that they took Kellen Clemens at, and a similar spot that the Dolphins recently took John Beck at. I think we can all agree (even the naysayers) that Geno's body of work in college BLOWS those two guys away.

Stop whining and crying, and realize this is a low risk high reward move. And stop being concerned about "Mark Sanchez's feelings"....I stopped worrying about those the second he ran into Brandon Moore's ample buttocks.

5. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

I hope you're right but I doubt it. I think this time next year we're talking about whicjh QB we are going to take with our top three pick. Which will be great for the long term of the franchise, just sucks we will have wasted a second rounder this year when we could have got a long time starter.

6. Zeppelin

Zeppelin Member

Jets fans need to realize that in relative terms, Geno Smith is our Tavaris Jackson. He can either develop into a starting caliber QB or he can ultimately just end up serving the role of stop gap QB during the rebuilding phase. Is it wishful thinking to believe that he is a franchise quarterback? Possibly, but he possesses some major upside. Afterall, the worst that could happen is that the Jets end up with even better draft positions than this year.

I don't know if this is the end of the Jets' post-Mangini draft woes but these are swell moves on behalf of Idzik and the community should be feeling high on the prospects of this team. They're beginning to resemble a near-by National League baseball team.

7. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Why is he like Tavaris? is it because he's black? and his skill resonates good there?

He is nothing like Tavaris...What a lame comparison

8. Zeppelin

Zeppelin Member

You chose to make that racial comparison. I clearly and concisely explained why Geno Smith is our Seattle Tavaris Jackson and it in no way involved race. Lame response, dude.

9. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

No, I am trying to make sense as to why there is a comparison to another QB like Tavaris fucking Jackson.

10. Zeppelin

Zeppelin Member

"He can either develop into a starting caliber QB or he can ultimately just end up serving the role of stop gap QB during the rebuilding phase. "

This is what Tavaris Jackson did in 2011 for the Seattle Seahawks.

11. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

To me aside from his fumbling issues and getting acclimated to the pro-style offense he has all the tools and IQ. I can finally say we have a young QB with a deep ball arm

Unless we are in position to draft Teddy Bridgewater or Johnny Manziel next year, there is no reason to keep drafting QB. I'd hope we build with Geno and hope we lucked out with him like Seattle did with Wilson, Bengals with Dalton, and Niners with Kaeps

12. GoldenShowers

GoldenShowers Well-Known Member

And by week 12 people realized that he was a product of the system that was in effective against good defenses.

Lol the dude likes to read so he's a good pick. The lengths Jets fans go to in order to convince themselves the Jets are a good franchise. Smh.

13. NYCKNP

NYCKNP Member

Now that Geno Smith is a Jet, the writing is 100% on the wall. I have no hate towards Sanchez, but I am a realistic person and I know that this is the end for him. If I was Sanchez, I'd go to Monster.com and find a job.

14. Zeppelin

Zeppelin Member

I feel he fails to put that zip on the ball that you see exclusively from top tier QBs, as many of his biggest and best throws from last year were somewhat wobbly. I seriously hope he's as smart as they say because he doesn't seem to articulate himself spectacularly well either.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst imo.

15. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

I dont think Taco Bell hires from Monster.com. He would be better off showing up in person.

16. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

The clown show is out in full force today. Youre such a hater. Go root for the Bills.

17. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Apparently according to nfl.com, Rex says Sanchez is taking the first practice snap on Monday.

Idzik, please...cut Sanchez before Rex falls in love again.

18. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

Lol Rex is probably the guy who called Sanchez to warn him on Friday, which lead to Sanchez and crew to leak it to the press.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2013/04/mark_sanchez_heard_from_jets_a.html

19. Lucas Hood

Lucas Hood New Member

I'm not convinced Geno Smith is a franchise quarterback, but I think need met value with Smith at #39. I think it was a pick this franchise pretty much had to make.

We're going to lose this year, so I hope we at least lose seeing what Smith has. If he shows he can be that franchise guy, we're set. If not, I hope it doesn't deter us from drafting Teddy Bridgewater in 2014.

20. BleedGreenDaily

Geno Smith was a bad judgement call. I feel they got scared and fired the gun on Geno. It is very odd he was pouting and about to go home and "someone" called him and convinced him to go back... I hope this works out but right now this is adding onto a circus for a kid that I don't see can handle it. He was already fighting with media before the draft.
    Sorry but I had to get that off my chest.