The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. endydee

endydee Active Member

Wouldn't be surprised if Geno wore #1.

2. egelband

egelband Well-Known Member

Is Geno Smith tall enough? I know that's a bit subjective, but, i mean, Sanchez was always considered a bit too short. and we saw a million of his passes tipped. partially due to his height and partially due to mechanics, i'd say. will Smith have the same issue? what is the consensus? thanks!

3. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

He's a legit 6'2. Height will not be an issue for him. He also has a very high release point. Additionally he has POCKET PRESENCE. A lot of Sanchez throws were tipped because he does not know how to slide in the pocket. Geno has great pocket quickness and can extend a play to find a lane to throw.

And let's not forget that he ran a 4.59 40, which is sick speed. That threat will make the line think twice about jumping up in the air bc he will blow by you.

4. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

He's a Jet like it or not. Lets just see what happens.

5. vedmedv

vedmedv Member

geno will take off and run. from the tapes it looks like his runs are more like wilson than rg3, which is reassuring. he has a chip on his shoulder, hopefully he plays angry.
    he will mature. he stayed in ny and came back on second day. nice start geno.

6. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

Well said. People are really sleeping on his ability. I know I must seem like the forum schizo because I was killing Idzik all day yesterday over the round 1 picks. But Geno is an excellent value at 39. We are not paying him 15M per. People need to relax. He has first round level talent. The clips that Mayock showed has frightened everybody. What Mayock did not mention is he LED THE NATION in efficiency. He is super accurate and played in a very complex offense. He can make all the throws and is excellent at extending plays. yes he had Tayvon Austin, but he threw a ton of bombs to him on the money and Tayvon is 5'7. And not to mention he ran 4.59 40! The only real knock on him was the way he slumped as the year went on. Which is he justifiably slipped. but there is no questioning his talent or tools.

I just can't see how we can be upset with a guy who could have easily been a top 5 pick falling to us at 39. There are no guarantees we'd have the No. 1 or 2 next year to get Bridgewater or Johnny Football. Look at how sorry the team was last year and we almost made the playoffs. This is the best case scenario given the value of getting Smith at 39.

This is what drafting is about - talent AND VALUE. Richardson WAS NOT a value pick at all. Smith absolutely, 100% is. I ripped Idzik and now I am giving him his props.

7. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

The 32 career fumbles make me question his pocket awareness. This article touches on that a bit.

http://blogs.thescore.com/nfl/2013/...ies-geno-smith-lacks-awareness-and-instincts/

8. F Miami

F Miami Active Member

I really hope he works out, but if he doesn't, it's not gonna kill us. 2nd rounders get 4 year contracts and we can pretty much release him whenever. And with the way the rookie pay scale is, he won't cost us that much money. The thing that worries me the most about Smith is that most of his passes were completed either behind the line of scrimmage or less than 10 yards from the line which means he depended on his playmakers to get all that yardage.

9. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

WRONG again. Richardson is a value pick and is a need - INTERIOR PASS RUSH is a major need especially when you play Brady twice a year. Get over it - you were wrong about Richardson and you need to get over it and get with the program.

10. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

The article makes very valid points but I think it's too small of a sample size. Geno started 3 years so he basically averaged 10 fumbles a year, which is a LOT for a QB. but remember, in this offense, they average almost 100 snaps per game. And about 50-60 are passes or read option type plats. So we are talking Well over 500 times Geno's throwing or handling the rock for a significant part of the play. And he only took NINETEEN sacks. That is a very good sack rate for the type of offense they run, which was virtually no huddle and involved a TON of pre-snap reads and adjustments. This was not EJ Manuel's offense. This was pro-style offense. WVU brought 8o-90 plays to a game. That is an insane number. And Geno made it all work. Compare that to Cam who while much more talented, played in one of the simplest offenses (he obviously dominated in it though). Cam had no problem adjusting to NFL offensive systems. Geno from that standpoint has a huge head start.

On many of those amazing bombs to Tayvon Austin, Geno bought a lot of time with his feet while Tayvon split safeties to get open. Geno DID make mental errors in the second half of the season, which is why he slipped, but it was nothing close to Sanchez-esque blunders. Like most top QB prospects, he gets overanalyzed, which is fair.

So he does have bad footage out there, but his positives are much, much, much greater. He definitely has the tools to be a great NFL QB. He needs the right coaching and patience to make it happen though. The crazy thing is that the WCO will be a much slower pace.

All this to say again, there is no way you can knock taking him at 39. It's a very good value pick. If Geno duplicated his first 6 games of the season the rest of the year, we wouldn't even be having this conversation because he would have gone 3rd overall. So again, I think it's very worthwhile risk.

11. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

Brilliant pick because we forget that Brady hates pressure up the middle and thats when you can rattle him

12. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

All we can do now. Wish him the best but I think it was a bad pick and that we will be drafting a new QB in 2014 or 2015 at best and a lot of these pro-Geno people will be denying they liked it at the time.

13. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

You are misunderstanding me. It's not about interior pass rush. it's about taking a guy too early. Star and Floyd were stll on the board and were rated higher. So there was no urgency in taking Richardson at that spot. We could have traded down or taken Jones, who many teams wanted and traded him later. That's how you maximize value.

Richardson has one year of experience in Div 1. This is not a Cam newton situation where a guy switches to a big time program and blows the roof off. Richardson has eye-popping talent but he has a very small body of work, showed immaturity and stupidity (the Georgia fiasco) and was questionable in the gap (he played all over the line at Missourri). Floyd and Star both had better resumes and Floyd ran a 4.9 40, which is off the charts for a 300lber. So all I am saying is that by trading down we could still get a stud interior pass rusher and an additional pick. That's how you maximize value.

So in that light, Richardson was indeed a reach. we could have been in the 20s and still gotten one of the big 3.

14. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

While I hope he's a stud, I'm not all that impressed with this pick, although if you were to take him, at least they waited until rd. 2. Like others I thought he had inflated stats in college.....

Not impressed with his demeanor when they announced the pick. If dropping in the draft caused that, wait until the NYC media is on his ass.....

Like I said, hopefully he works out, but if the JETS go deep into the shitter this year, he can be this year's Jimmy Clausen.

15. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

Well save some of that brew to toast him when get goes off this year.

Comparing him to Jimmy Clausen, whose stats paled in comparison to Geno's, and also came out a year early, is a little off base.

16. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I hope so....... but my Clausen reference was the college hyped QB that dropped to rd 2. Then the Panthers still sucked & picked their guy the next year (Cam Newton). I can see a similar scenario with the JETS. Either way I can see the pick as good insurance in case they don't get within striking distance of Teddy Bridgewater.

#456 stinkyB, Apr 27, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
  17. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

Geno spent the second half of the season and the pre-draft time getting roasted by the press. Where is his hype?? The media came down on this kid hard. Not saying it was unjust criticism - just saying he had no "hype machine" behind him entering the draft.

18. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Geno is doing a presser now.

19. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Says he was told that it would have came down to himself and Richardson.

20. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

well said and I am glad you leveled that guy. He is totally wrong and dumping on Richardson for his own gratification. You are right! Playing Brady twice a year requires a DT to move him out of the pocket towards the advancing DEs. Brady gets inaccurate when that happens.