The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

Well read this..

Rex Ryan explains plans for new Jets offense
    January 8, 2013 11:55 am ET

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/e.../rex-ryan-explains-plans-for-new-jets-offense
    "But in the end of the day, I wanted to move this team in a different direction offensively."

So what is that direction? Ryan hinted at it but didn't offer much in the way of specifics.

"Where I've come up short in my opinion, in four years, I don't think I've done as good a job of implementing who I am throughout this team," Ryan explained. "And I want a physical, aggressive, attack-style of football team. … Unpredictable in all three phases. That's what I want.

" … I don't think it's gotten through offensively. When we look for a new offensive coordinator, I want somebody with that same type of belief that I would have as a defensive guy. … I want to be more of an attack-style of team, whether it's running the pistol or different types of offenses. As hard as we are to attack defensively, I want to be the same way on offense."

Now skip to 3:16 of that video and watch from there.

2. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

3. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

Yea that was the first thing that popped into my head watching this video as well. Might be great to have a quick player like Goodson who can use his speed out of the pistol formation.

I don't know who serves the Tavon role in the end arounds that they show in the pistol. I'm guessing Kerley?

4. GoldenShowers

GoldenShowers Well-Known Member

Epic epic fail of a post. Might be the winner for failure.

WVU runs the exact same system as Tech did and Hawaii did.

It's not "plays". it's the system. He doesn't make reads. He doesn't hAve to actual run the offense. He looks to the sideline and the coach tells him where to throw.

QBing is throwing the ball and running? Vince young did both extremely well. Let's bring him in too! It's the most cerebral position in any sport, and the transition to the NFL as a QB is the biggest mental jump in any sport. None of the air raid QBs have a foundation in reading defenses.

Weeden, Foles, Landry Jones. These guys aren't franchise QBs. You just named three guys that represent why I would never have drafted the dude.

5. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

watching that vid and some highlights(play-by-play not just the pretty stuff) my impression of him is a man that can run a very dynamic offense with a lot of change and be able to make the smartest decisions out of them.

He can be taught complicated set ups and has the ability to execute them the best he can, rarely forcing a bad decision. He's kind of perfect for MM in that way.

he also has most of the current QBs beat big time. smarter overall than sanchez, a stronger arm than G-Mac,and even more mobile than Tebow.

I fully expect him to be a very acceptable piece in a timing based set up. He should learn quickly and be able to come in and be a success in something involving quick thinking and being able to play unpredictably because of a wide range of plays.

his adverseness to the cold concerns me a bit though.

still seems like a man that can handle the adjustment and pull it off. I'd rather not see him start initially unless Garrard is down though, ease him in.

#405 TonyMaC, Apr 27, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
  6. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

what did colin kaepernick run then?

7. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

evidently.

missing not picking Austin dearly now, but hey it would have been worse to trade up.

8. SienaSaints

Gruden specifically said that he would audible at West Virginia and they actually did force him to read defenses. Like I said watching the video you can see him showing his intelligence discussing the sport.

Just for the hell of it I went to watch Russell Wilson's college draft video and they were showing video of him from college in it. You can see that he has questionable mechanics that look 180 degrees different than they did when he played for Seattle.

I can't wait to see how Geno looks throwing the ball after he gets NFL coaching to fix his throwing mechanics to make him square his shoulders more.

#408 SienaSaints, Apr 27, 2013
  9. unk0wn

unk0wn Member

I have been a member of this forum for atleast 10 years but I cant make a post so ill post this here. I made this song way back when..almost 10 years ago yet the problem is...it's more relevant then ever.

-https://soundcloud.com/bbqtriangle/same-ol-jets

10. laxin

laxin Active Member

Shhhh... That never happened. Geno never had to actually use his brain. He just was told who to throw to and he just did it without thinking. No such thing as making a decision for him...

/sarcasm

11. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

So I guess you think Manziel isn't worthy of a high pick next year? What holds Weeden down is his age, he did a good job given what he had to work with in Cleveland last year. Foles did a good job in PHI last year but new regime(Chip Kelly has a certain style) doesn't believe in him to click with him.

What I meant by throwing the ball and running is that people over complicate this type of stuff and dismiss a QB based on the offense they come from. I in no way meant to dismiss QBs reading and audibles. I think Geno has a problem with his eyework and he will have to work on that to take up the next step, like not staring down anyone and being able to trick DBs with purely his eyes. That's something he's gotta work on, no doubt but it can be fixed early in his career before he develops any lazy or poor technique.

Vince Young also lacks maturity on and off the field(Dude is bankrupt despite the money he got as a top 5 pick), had a laughable wonderlic score(I don't treat these scores like the bible except when it comes to QBs...Geno Smith got a 24, which is halfway of the 50 point mark) and basically maxed out the potential he had. Geno will be a better pro than "Invinceable" because he actually cares about what he will do as a pro....Young got lazy and content with what he was because of his accomplishments at Texas and besides the lone year where he manned up and played like a smart QB, he showed zero poise at given points and rather than fight back at his coaching staff...he took his ball and ran on home.

#411 BakerMaker, Apr 27, 2013
  12. Gastin-oh

Gastin-oh New Member

13. GoldenShowers

LOL what do you expect his coaching staff to say? "no we don't train NFL QBs".....despite a decade of the opposite being proven time and again.

Gruden praises every kid like he's Tom Brady. An offensive guru who's shit offense team won one title off the backs of an awesome D, and was horrible the rest of his career. I'm sure his five minute sit down with Geno erases dozens of scouting reports and years of consistent failures from Air Raid QBs.

14. GoldenShowers

Should be required reading for every Jet fan.

That list of players is a who's who of outrageous college production from the QB and consistent abject failure in the NFL.

Can Geno, who ended up at WVU bc he couldnt get into major BCS schools academically (which requires a special degree of stupidity) in the most pressure packed environment in the nfl, on a team with no weapons, with a fan base that half already hate him, break the mold? Sure.

But in the most important draft in years at 39th overall when you have a billion other holes it's an outrageous risk for a reward that after a decade has yet to come to fruition.

15. IBLEEDGREEN17

IBLEEDGREEN17 Well-Known Member

i really don't know much about smith, or college football for that matter, but im not in dissapointment using a 2nd rounder for smith. this draft was weak anyway.

it brings some excitement to the team, i don't know if i would've made it through this season with sanchez under helm.

#415 IBLEEDGREEN17, Apr 27, 2013
  16. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I should add that I feel bad for Geno Smith. This is not the best spot for him to succeed in the NFL. I am not sure he would succeed in any NFL city, but New York is going to make it even that much harder.

17. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Truthfully speaking, there isn't many chances he'd get to do anything in the NFL given how QBs have clogged up their team's starting gig for years to come.

He has a fair shot at this....granted the weapons and impatient fanbase are tough to deal with but honestly...I think the fans will give him a fair shake for the most part since they view him as someone not named Mark Sanchez.

18. SienaSaints

I don't think that I actually said a word about what his coaching staff said about him. I said that watching the video where he talks to Gruden he speaks of various formations and knows what the options are for when the defense does specific things.

19. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Btw, I was right down there...I saw the NFL Network coverage of the NFL draft at Radio City and they showed some idiot trying to get on the air from the second deck.

[youtube]LTgHFJkRMyU[/youtube]
    You can listen in, the crowd was mainly positive, alot of non Jets fans were hating. I mentioned in the Draft thread that this group of Giants and one Goofball Cowboys fan was yelling "DINK AND DUNK". I asked him who did the Cowboys draft last night, he said some tackle to help out Romo...I proceeded to educate the man on the reach of a Center they picked that no one had envisioned

20. GoldenShowers

Wait so Geno has a basic understanding of defensive formations? Superbowl here we come. Read the article posted. Then tell me about how it's not a big deal.