The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

You got that right :grin:

But man, after his second year going to the SB, and that arm and release and accuracy, who didn't think he wasn't going to a "bunch" of SBs.

We tried to steal Marino's helmet in the Carrier Dome back in the early 80s, but we couldn't pull it off. Was much easier to get on the field at Archbold Stadium than the Dome.

_

2. murksauce

murksauce Member

Not only do we talk all Geno vs random QBs in this thread, but we also talk about past QBs vs other past QBs here. WTF?

3. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

I think folks were likening Geno and the Jets to a rookie (well, second year) Marino going to the SB.

Apologies for responding.

_

4. lamont_jordan_rules

i pledge allegiance to the Geno of the United States of Murksauce
    and to the Republic
    for which it stands,
    one Geno under God,
    indivisible,
    with liberty and justice for all.

5. murksauce

murksauce Member

Thats more like it, thank you good sir.

6. north06

north06 New Member

I think it has been a long time since the Jets have had a QB with a "gun" for an arm is why people are making the comparisons. Geno has that. And he showed it last Sunday. And he has a quick release. Let's face it, having those attributes is exciting to watch. To me, Ken O'Brien had the "big" arm and was very accurate - and is one of my favorite QB's of all time -but he didn't have the foot work - hence why he got sacked often. Also, he held the ball to long at times. But he still was a very good QB and put up big numbers. Since him, there hasn't been anyone until Geno.

7. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Thing to keep in the back of everyones mind also with this kid is accuracy..and how you cant really judge that the first year. He seems to have the behindzees on slants and throws short on some long ones but that doesnt mean that long term this kid cant be very very accurate. Eli comes to mind as being labeled his first few years as not being accurate with throws. Its just timing issues.

Compared to Sanchez at this point..what I like the most is his sideline and huddle behavior. He is a calm dude. He doesnt get rattled or sulk. He is willing to sacrafice himself without fear. Most importantly is that he has the ability to leave the pocket and run up field but does not use that as a crutch. He is a pocket passer first.

I also like his reactions after games. His "it seems like every game I say I have to protect ball better and not turn it over..but thats the truth" mentality.

There is not much to pinpoint right now in the negative and cross fingers we might have found a diamond in the rough here.

8. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

Rich Cimini wrote:

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/27853/qb-watch-jets-geno-smith-2

But you have to take into account the fact that Geno Smith has thrown the ball more. Geno has 102 pass attempts, Sanchez didn't break 102 until his fourth game (where he got to 110). The ratio of TD passes to INTs then was:

Geno: 1 int every 17 attempts.
    Mark: 1 int every 22 attempts.

But then if you take fumbles lost into consideration it was dead even. Smith has had one, Mark had 2. Also, Smith has one fumble, which he lost through these games. By the time Sanchez had hit 110 attempts, he had 5 fumbles, of which 2 were lost.

Silly Cimini.

9. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Mods:

Can you please remove the thread I started from here and put it back on its own? I was intending to have a thread with all his stats and update it weekly.

10. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

haha If Revis Christ sees this you're a dead man!

11. WhySoSerious488

WhySoSerious488 Well-Known Member

The comparisons are stupid anyway. Sanchez started out reasonably well his first 3 games of his rookie season, at which point the season descended into a nightmare for him up until the gift playoff berth. It may have taken him 6 games to throw his 6th INT, but he threw 14 the rest of the way on very few pass attempts overall.

Sanchez also didn't crack 300 yards passing all season I believe

12. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

The game where he got to his 6th in was also the game where he got to his 10th int (the 5 int game vs BUF) which is another reason why that line by cimini was so stupid.

13. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

The point of my thread wasn't to say Geno is the answer after three games!!! How many times do I need to say this?

The point of the thread was to track Genos stats in comparison to other rookie years of other quarterbacks

14. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Probbaly better off to just start a new thread each week if the mods are ok with that. Threads are going to get sidetracked because there's only so much you can say week to week so it's going to derail into Geno vs past Jets QBs and etc.

15. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

You make a fine point with how every thread ends up. It's just annoying dealing with it, and it was a very bad day for me yesterday, as well as my 8th day of work in a row.

BTW, for me the 1st unread post was post #1. I just wanted to see the stat thread, period..not stuff from April.

Anywho, I apologize about the blowup RT.

16. lamont_jordan_rules

17. Mayhem

Mayhem Active Member

From ESPN's Cimini artice on how Rex's "Changed his philosophy" on the air game:

-Smith is tied with Green Bay's Aaron Rodgers for the NFL lead with nine completions on attempts of more than 20 yards in the air.-

Interesting and smile inducing stat. This is why the INTs are less of an issue than why they were with Sanchez. It's all about risk vs. reward. Also this is with a rookie's first 3 games in teh NFL. I'll take it.

18. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

Geno got this team believing.. Hell, he has got me believing.

19. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

would it be ok for him to restart the thread in hope that it doesnt get ruined again? or is it just going to be inevitable at this point?

20. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Will people please just relax for the love of Pete let it play out. The kid is a raw rookie making some good plays and some bad plays. Stat tracking all that other bull-shit is meaningless.

We will not for three to four years if Geno will make it and that depends a lot on what is around him. It takes a QB seven years to reach their peak.

Carr, Meyer, Brees etc all had decent rookie years. Bree's bounced back Meyer and Carr did not. Hell Sanchez had a decent rookie year and we know what this board thinks about him.

Let the kid develop without being the next Joe Namath. This way he will really have a chance to be.