The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

I think Kerley has been and will continue to be a weapon, not having him last Thursday probably proved to be the difference maker although there were many missed opportunities to win the game anyway. Holmes is no world beater but he shouldn't be a huge detriment if he gets back to playing 100% and tries a little in the process. Hill is still a work in progress but he has shown an improved ability to get open and catch in a short sample this year, he obviously still needs to work on mental aspects though. If Hill can keep producing and keep bringing down the frequency of bonehead errors I'd say the weapons should be adequate for a developing QB to work with.

2. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Are you really analogizing the Jet's situation with Geno Smith to Colt's situation with Peyton Manning?

_

3. laxin

laxin Active Member

I think he's trying to make the point, that if you have a young promising QB (obviously Geno is nowhere near Peyton, but he can develop into a good QB), you dont just throw him away 3-4 games in, even if he struggles a good amount.

Whats the harm in giving him a season, or at least the majority of the season, before you move on, or at least bench him?

4. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

There's no problem with the analogy. At that time, the Colts had just as much information on the player Peyton would become as the Jets do about the player that Smith will be.

Let me be clear. No one is saying Smith will become Peyton Manning. What we're saying is that pulling Smith before he gets live game experience (i.e., the chance to develop) would be the wrong call because it will prevent the Jets organization, and its fans, from ever finding out what Smith could become.

My additional $0.02 - if we're never going to draft and actually develop young talent (i.e., putting them in competition and letting them make mistakes while progressing), then why draft players? Why not just re-hire Tannenbaum?

5. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

+1. Strongly agree.

6. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

At least the coaches dont need to use a color coded system for Geno like they had to for Sanchez

7. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Benching Geno after 3 weeks would be ridiculous. If this was week 8/9 then a benching for a game or two is fine. This is what happens when you have a rookie QB, growing pains are apart of it. Even if its aggravating to watch.

#3247 The 1985er, Sep 18, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  8. JStokes

I'm not suggesting you pull Geno after 3 starts--far from it. I don't think Simms is going to be a long-time NFL starting QB, don't think he's the answer this year or in the future, and I think we need to see what Geno has so we can decide if we delve into what is shaping up to be a much better QB class next year.

Full stop.

But comparing Peyton Manning to Geno Smith in trying to make the point of when or if you pull him is illogical, IMHO.

_

9. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

fair enough, the only point of having it be Peyton is to prove that something good can come out of a rocky beginning.

10. JStokes

A rocky beginning for what was universally viewed as an all-time generational player is not a great analogy.

That's all I was suggesting.

_

11. Mr. Green Pants

Fuck's sake, when someone makes a comparison like this, or compares Stephen Hill's situation to that of a Pro Bowl receiver who struggled early, it doesn't mean he's predicting they'll have comparable careers. It just means there's a precedent for sticking with a young player through his early difficulties. Don't like the Manning analogy? Insert some other good quarterback who had a tough rookie season but blossomed into a legit starting QB. That's happened plenty of times in the NFL.

12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

That's because we had a dumb-ass OC / QB coach that couldn't teach a QB the basics.

But you don't bench Geno at all IMO this season, unless it's at the end of the season and Geno showed nothing, then you put in Simms.

13. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

It depends why you're benching him. They may want to Bench him to give him a chance to sit and watch. They may feel playing is hurting his development. There are lots of reasons to not put a rookie QB into the fire. The Jets have had their hands forced but if forcing their hand is setting back his development a well managed team might well decide to bench him for his own good.

14. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Maybe they felt the color coded wristband was the best approach for Marks development. How do you know what they could or couldn't teach Mark? Or was Mark able to retain the information that was given to him.

15. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

I'm going to say this. Some people may not like it because of their disposition to Mark but(t),

Everything that has been used for Makr's "development" by any of the ass clowns @ QB coach & OC is to be thrown out the fucking window.

Mark was under the thumb of 2 of the most incompetent coaches in the NFL at their position.
    I don't ever want to hear "They should do w/Geno what they did for Mark" EVAAAR!!!

16. JStokes

For fuck's sake?

I know BWay wasn't predicting Geno would have a comparable career, I was just questioning using possibly one of the highest rated QBs coming out of college in draft history to a second round pick as a good comparison when analyzing how much rope you give him.

You don't sit Peyton Manning his rookie season just like you don't sit Andrew Luck his rookie season.

You absolutely can sit Geno this season if his play warrants it. Just like the Bills could sit EJ.

Compare apples to apples when making predictive presumptions, that's all I was saying.

Sheesh.

_

17. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Oh, and one more thing... Geno wants to be a leader then he has to hold people accountable also.

Standing on the sideline like JC after a win is not what I mean.

When mutherfuckers drop a pass, give them a slap on the head...

This comes w/time but seems like Mark only did this in the playoffs when he was killin shit..lol

18. NewYorkEveryThing

What team tells a first year second round pick QB that he is on a week to week basis?
    Why did izdik waste a high pick on him if they don't want to wait it out to see if he can develop?
    I don't get it? They waste no effort in looking for some type of weapons for the kid.
    Izdik should have not drafted him then. He should of got rex a vet QB or waited till the 4th or 5th for nassib or wilson and then let rex just ride the season out.

19. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

brfeaking news on nfl network: browns traded trent Richardson to colts for a 2014 1st round pick.
    a number of posters thought jets should look at bridgewater.

if browns offer a team 2 first round picks in 2014 draft, plus additional picks in future years, unless you have the 1st pick in the draft, you can be undercut by a team in front of you trading that pick to Cleveland. just like the bills did this year letting the rams swoop wr Austin away from the jets.

20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

No, just pointing out that pulling him if he has 3 or 4 bad games is not a clear cut choice by any means. Lots of good QB's have had 3 or 4 bad games when they were put up against it their rookie season early.

Exactly. If the Jets had a veteran QB who was past it then pulling Geno for parts of games to get his head on straight would be a good answer. Unfortunately they don't have that available and pulling him for other young guys is going to create problems of a different nature.

Richard Todd - Matt Robinson was a disaster for the franchise. It split the team, coaches and management right down the middle and probably set the Jets back a year in the process in addition to altering the future course of the franchise (Idzik Sr out, Joe Walton in).

Yep, with Geno on hand the job this year should be obvious: figure out if he's got the stones to be the guy. If not then draft a QB next year and let him and Geno compete. Matt Simms and Mark Sanchez were absolute red herrings this year, although for different reasons.

I made the comparison because somebody above said that if he had another bad game the Jets absolutely had to look at Quinn or Simms. Obviously it would be a bad move to shift horses in mid-stream to a non-prospect because your good prospect had a few bad games.

I just used Peyton Manning to point out that young QB's, no matter how good, can easily have a few very bad games early on and moving on from them at that point is a bad move.