The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

Im just as we're finally going in a new direction. I'm excited to see what Geno can do.

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I'm rooting my ass off for Geno Smith this weekend. I want him to work out, and I'm glad we'll get an early look at him.

Just hoping that this is the beginning of the Geno Smith Era and not the Geno Smith Error.

3. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

LOL....I'm putting that in my hip pocket for later....era instead of error. Clever play on words Byz!!!

I, too, hope he plays well. Let's be real...as fans it is ONLY in our best interests that he does. For people to be wishing injury on the guy or to fail...well, Kharma is a two way street my friends.

4. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

OC has to keep this game plan "basic" for the Rook. Let's take some shots down field and run at 'ol $16mil bum knee.

Fuck!

5. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

First off how is Geno a bust? He's yet to play a real NFL game. ??? Lmao. Second, how was he a reach being the 7th pick of the "SECOND" round?
    So either your a dark sider of all dark siders who's being bitter and wants to knock him with out any real reason because there isn't one yet or simply we have found the second coming of Nastradamus right here on our beloved forum.

6. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I like Geno but not so much in this offense. IMO I think the WCO is a better fit for Sanchez.

7. n3putts

n3putts Member

West Virginia fan here. Watched Geno's entire career, and a few games in person. I totally expect him to be good in the NFL, but here's one undeniable factor that will determine his career more than most young quarterback in the NFL today. He will need real protection due to the fact that he will not run. He may be fast, but he doesn't run. He doesn't even scoot up in the pocket very well - if pressured, he bails out to a sideline and throws it away.

IF he gets real protection from both a running game and his offensive line.
    IF he gets receivers who are not drop-happy.
    IF he doesn't get down on himself early...

...He can be very successful. I haven't seen a better quarterback when it comes to sitting in a big, open pocket and drilling receivers downfield. Andrew Luck went 44-of-50 at the combine against NO DEFENDERS. Geno went 45-of-51 against Baylor with 8 TD's. The guy throws the deep ball, the fade and the back-shoulder stuff in his sleep. He leads RBs coming out of the backfield perfectly. But when he's down, he's out. When receivers drop balls and he he gets pressured, he will check out mentally, throw a fit and give up. I've seen it.

It's all about protection. I realize that's the same for everyone, but it's deathly important to get him rolling early.....

8. laxin

laxin Active Member

Or he's just a pathetic troll.

9. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Good post. Thanks for the insight. Hopefully MM can work on his shortcomings. One thing I noticed is his footwork on the throws. He doesn't seem to step forward and get the most leverage. If he did he would be even more powerful and quick on the draw. I wish him nothing but the best.

10. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

Because Sanchez has started 62 regular season games, Geno has started 0.

You expect rookie mistakes from a rookie QB.

11. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Wow, that's a great write up. I have never seen him play, outside of preseason, and this helps with my thought process when evaluating him.

It does kind of scare me a little, though. There really is no such thing as a "clean" pocket in the NFL. Maybe a handful of snaps a game can you sit out there simply untouched. But, moving around in the pocket is what makes QB's like the Mannings, Brady and Brees as good as they are. None of those guys are scramblers. Andrew Luck is more of an athlete than is credited and RGIII, Kaepernick and Wilson are just that, full boat scramblers. Even with the best NFL lines ever to be assembled no QB went a quarter of a game with a clean pocket. (I'm sure you could find a game or two...but you know what I mean)

Geno is simply going to have to learn to utilize the pocket better or his god given athletic talents to scramble. I'll take a run to the sideline here and there with a throw out of bounds. Beats turning the ball over. But, if that becomes a habit that will not go over too well with the fans. We'll see how he matures into this.

12. rico college

rico college Well-Known Member

And so it was in the beginning........

13. buddapaw

buddapaw Well-Known Member

Definitely agree with you there

14. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Geno is not ready for this. It doesn’t mean he will never be ready but on Sunday its going to be a rough start. With that said two things to keep in mind:

1. If he crashes and burns that does not mean he is a bust. He is not ready for this and we cannot expect seasoned play from a rookie - one with limited play time with the first team until a week ago.

2. If he surprises and really shines that does not mean he is the second coming of Joe Nameth. It could mean he is the second coming of Browning Nagel.

We won’t have a clear idea of how good Geno can be until after 8 or 9 starts. But on Monday no matter if he sucks or shines a lot of people on this site will be defining his whole future based on that one game.

15. laxin

laxin Active Member

That may have been because of his ankle injury on his plant foot

16. rico college

rico college Well-Known Member

Geno will suck for most of the season. But if he shows improvement every week, I will be fine with it.

Plenty of great QB's have had bad rookie seasons.

#2736 rico college, Sep 5, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Yep. That's the situation.

18. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

all rookies in my eyes get at minimum 2 years before even a chance of being labled a bust, and probably 3 years.

19. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

You expect rookies to make mistakes, especially early on. What you want to see is progression over the course of the first season and beyond. One game does not dictate anything, regardless of if he throws 500 yards with 6 TD's in, or for 100 yards with 6 picks in the first game. Remember last year's first game? Was it an indicator of the season? No....

20. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

There is NO way for you to know whether Geno is ready or not, none whatsoever. It is a ludicrous statement.