The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

No way they will be limited. He showed against the Giants that he can be easily fooled by a defense, that he stares down receivers, he doesn't trust what he sees with routes being run, and he panicked near the end zone. He also showed against Detroit that scrambling all be himself is a bigger danger to his health than him getting hit.

2. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

+1. This is pretty much my perspective.

3. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

this

(filler)

4. 85inthehall

Alex smith was in year 7 when things finally clicked for him with the right coach, the right offense, and the right team around him. Went from a career sub 70 qb rating to a 90 and 104 before he cut hurt last season.

5. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

First of all, Alex Smith is exceedingly mediocre. At best, he's a nice game manager. Secondly, I'm not waiting any longer for Sanchez to "develop". Fuck that. No team should have to wait 7 fucking years to begin to reap the benefits of a top 10 pick, let alone 5 years. Lastly, Alex Smith was never the consistent turnover machine that Sanchez has been. I could actually live with a guy who didn't make a lot of plays down field, but also tended to protect the football (the prototypical "game manager"). Unfortunately, Sanchez not only doesn't make a lot of plays down the field, but he also turns the ball over like it's going out of style. With Mark, we get the worst of both worlds . . . all of the mistakes of a daring gunslinger with virtually NONE of the passing production.

#2505 slimjasi, Aug 31, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

and yet he was still replaced by a younger cheaper more explosive yet inexperienced player at the first opportunity.

harbaugh saw the ceiling and knew it was a. not good enough and b. an aberration and not the norm.

same as mark, he was having a good preseason for his standards but still hovering around average.

7. 85inthehall

Geno is no where close to Colin. He is running a read option offense and uses his threat to break an 80 yard run to his advantage - also has Frank Gore back there with Vernon Davis and Crabtree.

Geno won't run the read option, won't go off book, and will have to be able to quikcly read coverages, changes, mismatches, etc...that will be his downfall.

Colin also didn't come in day 1 - he sat on the bench as a rookie (24 of 50 passes for 257 yards and 5 interceptions in preseaosn which seems oddly familiar), in year two he had a coming out against the Jets in a wild cat and got onto the field in week 10. Jets should do this with Geno but they feel they can't or just won't.

8. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

I don't know about that. If Geno can keep his head out of his ass and keep the turnovers to a minimum of 1 then we have an excellent shot. I've watched all four Tampa games from this preseason and I'm not impressed. Freeman doesn't look too good, Revis hasn't played a snap of ball in almost a year and their secondary is ripe for the picking. That is, of course, if Geno can throw the ball with any consistency and accuracy.

I am sooooo not worried about Revis. Not in the first game after a long layoff...I don't see it happening. It's the Bucs run D and pass rush. I think we can win if we mitigate those.

9. 85inthehall

Josh Freeman has looked piss poor this pre season and he is in a make or break year. They were 7-9 for a reason last year just like the Jets were 6-10 for a reason. Both of these teams are in the same boat - what has gotten better, what has gotten worse, and who makes fewer mistakes. With Geno at QB you just assume the Jets will make more mistakes.

Freeman has also been sacked 10 times this pre-season

10. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Just went through this entire thread again, and I'm no less excited about the season. A week from tomorrow, we'll find out just how ready Geno is for the NFL. While I know it's not likely, I hope that performs exceeding well. Either way, I'm ready to find out.

While I agree with the rest of your post, if given the option, I'd rather not have Geno test Revis too much. So much of football is about moments. To be sure, Revis will feel that this is his moment to exact revenge on Jets' decision to trade instead of pay him. IMO, this game would not be the one to try to "throw open" a receiver covered by Revis.

That being said, Sporano is no longer the OC. That means there's bound to be at least one other option covered by some dude who is neither named "Revis" nor as a good a corner as Revis. While I'm not a professional footballer or coach, but I would go with that option.

11. mezzavo

We'll find out...but I'll tell you...our Defense is considerably better than theirs...I think that is the offset. Just as long, as you mentioned, we make fewer mistakes...and I hope Geno makes FEWER mistakes.

12. laxin

laxin Active Member

I would still stay away from Revis at all costs... Even if he has been out for that long, he's still a great player with great football instincts and technique.

13. mezzavo

As much as I stand by Revis will not be himself...you speak much wisdom there. Always go with the "safer" option. lol :grin:

14. 85inthehall

I hope so to - i have bled green since 82 and I hope with everything I am wrong about Geno and he lights it up in week 1. I don't believe you rebuild in the NFL - you retool and look for lightning to strike out of nowhere. 1998 & 2009 were like that....I just hope if Geno doesn't live up to the hype the coaching staff don't wait for the season to get out of hand to make a change.

15. mezzavo

In this I hope you are right! I don't believe we need to blow an entire HALF of football season to see if there is anything there. But, then again, who am I...these butt clowns could easily play him the whole season to "justify" either needing to/needing not to pick a QB high next draft.

Sadly, unless something drastically changes, Simms is gone next year, barring injury. That is unless they are blowing a smoke screen right now...lord only knows.

16. 85inthehall

to have a shot they need to be 4-5 after 9 with a soft last 7 on the schedule.

17. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

make a change to who? if the season gets out of hand there is no qb on the roster who will stop the freefall

turn to mark. he had 2 seasons in a row where he couldn't right the ship. (stay out of this hobbes)

turn to phils son? maybe. but thinking an udfa who never faced live action against a team really trying to win is going to be the savior is a bit much to hope for.

this is the season that really stings when its time to rebuild. the last 2 were disappointing, but this one causes conflict between brain and heart,
    the heart doesn't want to believe this year is a wash
    but the brain just can't see where there could be much success
    maybe we get lucky but if the season starts to slip it will be a rapid freefall

18. Joeyd223

Joeyd223 New Member

Are you going to make a post saying the Jets colors are green and white?? So why make a post saying Geno isn't ready?? (Sorry for the sarcasm) Its so obvious Geno isn't ready and I cant see why the Jets would throw him into the fire like that. Im not a big fan of Geno but if the Jets really liked him, why would they throw him into the "fire" week 1 and possibly destroy the kids confidence and mindset.. Rather have him sit back and learn, its not like he has a huge contract that demands quick action.

19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I'm not sure you get how Simms is gone next year. It's pretty much a foregone conclusion that if Sanchez doesn't do something, HE is gone. And that frees up plenty of space.

That leaves Simms and Smith.

After what we saw from Simms, he earned a roster spot and will most likely earn a real contract before this regular season ends.

I don't think Simms is going anywhere.

20. 74

74 Well-Known Member

because we literally have no other choices. Its between him and Simms. if Geno just completely shits the bed then you can put Simms in there and see if he can do any better. If Simms sucks also then no big deal, by then Sanchez will be healthy enough to play again. but if you start with Simms and he sucks then people are going to be getting fired.