The gameplan against Rivers and the Chargers Offense

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by hazmat, Jan 12, 2010.

1. JetsLookingforDWare

I expect something like Week 2, but with more blitzes from Rhodes. Possibly we even blitz Revis...I expect him to be used more like a FS because we won't play as much man to man.

We'll really need Pace to have a huge game, since he's our best OLB. One can only pray that Vernon Gholston tries to make something out of himself for a game. Otherwise, he's probably beat.

This is the biggest game for our D, and it'll tell us alot about what we're doing this offseason.

2. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I think simply playing man to man against Gates would get ugly, E. Smith's coverage skills are pretty bad and Leonhard is way too small against Gates, I think we will have to double him to try to take out SD's top 2 receiving threats and use blitzes to pressure Rivers from there, the worst thing that can happen is allowing Rivers all the time in the world to try to dissect our D. And we not only have to win but dominate the time of possession battle the 3rd down opportunities on both sides of the ball will be huge in that regard.

3. B1nary Bolt Fan

B1nary Bolt Fan New Member

This is an excellent post. Keeping the Chargers out of the endzone is the main key to the game. If we kick a few field goals and can't score a TD in the first half, I'll be very afraid. ...it can be done.

But generally speaking, I think both our run game on both sides of the ball may come as a surprise. If Rex field goes towards more DB's to slow Rivers down, I don't think Norv will think twice about running it. The Chargers run game found its legs in the past month. But looking at a stat sheet, you can't see it.

To win though, the Jets have to find a way to keep us kicking in the red zone.

4. JetsLookingforDWare

Rivers picks us apart anyway...take Gates and Jackson out of the game and he looks for Sproles, Floyd, Nanee, and Davis.

That's the kind of offense we're facing...It'll show us where we stand as a D. It's easily the best offense we'll face this year for numerous reasons...Colts quit and play in a dome...Pats had a down year...Saints play in a dome, we played them early, and they play in the NFC Souf...We got the Texans early...I really can't wait to see this game.

5. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Other than screens i don't expect much from Sproles, the other receivers will be a key worry but if we are hitting Rivers that worry lessens greatly

6. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

You just named six receiving options. Unless it's a direct snap to Sproles, that's an illegal formation.

San Diego delenda est.

7. Lightning_bug

Lightning_bug New Member

It will tough for the Jets to win that way unless they are a lot better than they've played all year long. The Jets averaged 64.38 plays per game in the regular season, and averaged 0.339 points/play or 21.8 points per game.

The Chargers averaged only 60.75 plays per game, but 0.467 points/play. Their offense is far more efficient than the Jets. Now the #1 ranked Jets defense and ball control offense held opponents to a measly 59.56 plays per game.

If the Chargers get the 59.56 plays typically allowed by the Jets, they'll score 27.8 points versus the Jets 21.8 points.

8. GoChargers

GoChargers New Member

You're all kidding right? I haven't been as confident as any other game this season than this game. I'll guarantee you after this game half of the whiners here will be crying for Sanchez head.

9. B1nary Bolt Fan

B1nary Bolt Fan New Member

[/flame thrower] :shit:

10. ........

........ Trolls

You're assuming that the Chargers will be as effective against the Jets defense per play. Seems to me you're making an argument based on the Jets as an average scoring defense, not an elite one.

Oh, and we have been playing a lot better of late than we did all season long.

11. SDMisfit

SDMisfit New Member

Stay Classy San Diego?:sad:

12. JetsLookingforDWare

Well they're not all in on every play. Even in their base formation they have 4 guys...5 if you want to count the FB because Rivers has and does dump off to Tolbert once in a while.

We have that too, but Rivers is slightly more efficient than Sanchez. Just a tad...

13. SDMisfit

SDMisfit New Member

so have we?

14. sdbound

sdbound New Member

??? Sanchez is a quality QB. Sheli on the other hand....

15. GoChargers

GoChargers New Member

so was Orton mid season. *snap*

16. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

You're Ron Burgundy?

San Diego delenda est.

17. AirFouts

AirFouts New Member

I keep reading about the blitz and Rex and his unique blitzing. Ok fact we have not ran the ball all year, yet we still scored over 20 points all year long (ALL YEAR LONG) You guys dont think every other NFL team we played had the same plan. Blitz Blitz and Blitz some more. Lucky for us our O line is very good at picking up the blitz and even though Rivers is not very mobil he has "It" when it comes to avoiding sacks and most important stepping up in the pocket. Your great D for all its amazing stats does not produce sacks (our crappy D has more in the season) If you send the house and dont get to Rivers its going to be a long day Jets fans.

18. SDMisfit

SDMisfit New Member

whales vagina?

19. sdbound

sdbound New Member

Hmm...I don't recall ever hearing a Bears or Donkey fan saying, "We're so lucky to have quarterback neckbeard on our team!"

Most Donkey fans were smart enough to not say anything outloud before the mid-season collapse.

The Bears fans did think they had a qb in Cuddles before the season started.

20. concussion80

concussion80 New Member

That's because QB's are getting hit really, really fast and just chucking the ball away. Not all of our schemes are predicated on getting backdoor surprise hits which produce sacks and fumbles. Many of our schemes are in your face and qb's just chuck it away.

Our first meeting with the Pats
    win 16-9

Jets' pressure too much for Brady
    Rex Ryan promised a suffocating defense upon his appointment as coach of the Jets. His troops validated Ryan?s prediction with their performance against the Patriots. Using a myriad of pressures from their base 3-4 defense and sub-packages, the Jets harassed Tom Brady repeatedly in the pocket. Although they failed to produce a sack in the game, the constant pressure resulted in numerous hits and hurried throws. While the Patriots attempted to slow the high-pressure approach by jumping into their no-huddle offense, the tactic failed to slow the Jets down and proved to be an ineffective remedy. With Brady out of sync and Randy Moss bottled up (four receptions for 24 yards) by the accompanying coverage, the Patriots could not produce enough offense to pull off a tough road win.