The Favre Difference

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 1969jets, Oct 12, 2008.

1. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

At what point have I said I dislike Favre? Please show me and Chad and Torre are looking pretty good elsewhere, right?

I am loyal and I will defend people that have come through for me. I don't think that's a bad quality to have.

if your 1st sentence is the case them why did you write this:

Clearly you are giving Favre credit for the running success we had Sunday on his strong arm which is a shot at Chad's weaker arm.

teams did respect anything we did a year ago but in '06 they respected the pass game as we had alot of success in the passing game w/ no running game and in '04 they respected it as well as '03 after he came back and obviously '02.

if favre's arm is making D's lay off the running game then why, w/ 2 quality backs, are we not running the ball well?

I agree w/ your last sentence and there are plenty of things Chad brings that Favre cannot deliver. Tey are very different QBs but both very good(Chad when healthy and favre all the time b/c he always plays). let's not act like favre took over for Kyle mackey.

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I always give credit where credit is due, but Chad just isn't the type of QB to make the offense we have work, that is plain. Chad is great at managing a fluid offense like we have, but not so much in the execution. Favre is taking much longer to adjust to the offense than Chad would, that is also plain.

As the to question of the running game, I think you are expecting me to name one single thing that is causing the running game to falter, and there isn't one single thing to point to. Jones is indecisive hitting the hole and can't push tacklers for much when they hit him, so defensive don't have much respect for him. Leon is a blazing-fast gamebreaker that may be getting the majority of the starting reps soon, but he's either not used to getting that many reps and needs to adjust or he's just not capable, because right when they start relying on him heavily in the backfield, he ends up losing yardage. That also could be the fault of Schottenheimer for not utilizing him properly, or Favre's fault for not making adjustments to Leon's speed versus TJ's.

I think the main problem with the running game is that we haven't displayed any presence of punishment between the tackles. Watching the Giants game last night, I found myself green with envy watching Brandon Jacobs and Derrick Ward smash into linebackers and safeties. The Giants lost, but it wasn't because of the running game. Defenders think twice about how they are going to hit guys like that, because they know they are going to be hit back. That's not the case with Jones and Washington. Finesse runningbacks can only get you so far, and then you need a grinder.

By the way, it's only clear in your mind that I was giving all of the credit to Favre, but if you look around the board at my posts, you'll see that isn't the case. I wasn't taking a shot at Chad, I was taking a shot at you. :) And the 'success' of the rushing attack on Sunday isn't as trumped up as it sounds, the Bengals had seen all of the passing plays we had run in previous weeks and gameplanned it badly.