The Eric Smith PI call

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 94Abraham, Nov 7, 2010.

1. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

Can someone clarify how that was even pass interference? He had his hand on his back and didnt seem to turn the receiver in anyway yet he was flagged and thus Lions were gift wrapped a TD. Looks to be one of the very many horrible calls again today...

2. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

I cant remember, but im fucking tired of these Refs. Week after week its bullshit after bullshit.

3. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Considering how much favoritism receivers get & how protected qb are in today's NFL, I'm always hesitant to compare the great qb in today's game w/ qb in the past.

Think all fans are just gonna gave to accept that this league wants to see the ball moving big chunks of yardage via pass or penalty.

4. DisgruntledLionFan

DisgruntledLionFan Active Member

He had a fistful of jersey.

They'll make that call every time if they see it.

5. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

looked like he had a chunk of his jersey iirc

6. 624

624 Banned

I don't know but I hate how we keep putting Jim Leonhard/Eric Smith on 6'5 Tight Ends

7. southsidejet

southsidejet Member

Saw it on the replay reverse angle fistful of jersey

8. TheBlairThomasFumble

TheBlairThomasFumble Active Member

I have to agree. That was hardly the worst call today. He did grab the jersey.

9. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

It should have been defensive holding, though. (5 yards and an automatic first down, NOT defensive PI and first and goal)

10. slimjasi

When you Bltiz as much as we do, you are going to be left with less than Ideal matchups. And either way, any TE is going to be covered on MOST plays by either a Safety (Leonhard/Smith) or an LB.

11. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Yeah but Eric Smith is black so he should be able to match up

12. TheBlairThomasFumble

I think that's a fair point, but I guess my point is that it's hard to get outraged about that call after all the fucking horrible calls that have gone against the Jets this year in the Denver and GB games. At least this one wasn't a total phantom.

13. TheBlairThomasFumble

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

14. DisgruntledLionFan

DisgruntledLionFan Active Member

That depends if the ball was in the air or not.

I'm pretty sure the pass was already released as Smith grabbed him around the 3 yard line.

15. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Agreed. When you're tugging the jersey, you're asking to be called regardless of how much it actually affects the play.

16. slimjasi

Totally agree. Still should have been holding though.

17. coloradojet

coloradojet Active Member

I think the problem with the Jets is that they are in the same division with the Patriots. You notice how the sportscasters always shower praise on the Patriots. Woodhead is now their favorite player. Hillis, Thomas Jones who have been playing as well with new teams are never praised like Woodhead. The NFL wants the Patriots to win for some reason. When was the last time the Patriots had BS calls against them? It almost never happens. Do they ever get called for holding? Probably not. Yet it seems like the refs are doing everything they can to make the Jets lose, game after game. If the refs are not trying to fix the games the Jets should also get some BS calls in their favor too. I just can't remember the last time that happened.

It looks like the refs, Goodell and sportscasters owe something to Bob Kraft, maybe their jobs? Did I forget to mention Goodell, like a good commissioner, destroyed all the NE video tapes and we had to take his word when he said he looked at them and there was no other cheating other than what was on the tape the Jets confiscated.

Anyway, this is just a theory but just read up on Bob Kraft and decide.

"Kraft's impact on the Patriots was immediate and it didn't take him long to earn the respect of his NFL colleagues and peers. Since 1994, he has played an integral role on many of the NFL's most prominent owner committees. As a member of the broadcast committee, he had an essential role in negotiating the most lucrative broadcasting contracts in the history of sports. In 2009, as the chairman of the broadcast committee, he was one of the principals responsible for negotiating the extensions of the CBS and FOX contracts, as well as the extensions of the broadcasting agreements with DirecTV and Comcast."
    "Kraft is now widely recognized as one of the most respected and influential owners in sports."
    The NFL is a business after all.
    Link
    http://www.patriots.com/team/index.cfm?ac=mgersexecsbio&bio=547

Another thing. Ty Law was called for holding a lot when he was with the Jets therefore making a lot of people say that he wasn't that good. I don't know, was he called for PI when he was with the Patriots like he did when he was with the Jets? Probably not. Maybe that's why he was such a good CB with the Patriots.

#17 coloradojet, Nov 7, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  18. firemanedjr

firemanedjr Active Member

It was the right call. One of very few good ones the refs made today.

19. RevisOfNazareth

RevisOfNazareth New Member

your continuing to post here is a bad call. did you ever work on an officiating crew?

20. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

This, he didn't reroute the Wr in any way though. They could have called it holding. Tamatoes and Tahmatoes though, it was definitely a penalty.