The Deshaun Watson Situation (POLL added for the potential price)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Rockinz, Jan 16, 2021.

?

What is the MOST you would give up to get Watson?

1. Just the #2 pick

24 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. The two 1's and 3 we got from Seattle

37 vote(s)
    27.2%
  3. The #2, Seattles first in 2022, our 1st in 2023

55 vote(s)
    40.4%
  4. More - just get it done.

20 vote(s)
    14.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

You don't have to keep explaining it. You just cannot handle anyone disagreeing with you.

Trading for Watson is another path - probably a riskier path. Likely a SOJ path.

Br4d and Red Menace like this.
  2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

disagree all you want, I don’t care. But claiming that it’s a short cut is just flat out ridiculous. As is is claiming that some thing would be “same old Jets“ despite the fact a 26-year-old elite quarterback in his prime has never ever been available via trade maybe in the history of the league.

3. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

does anyone think JD wouldn’t look at this? He was listening to every call he got, even for Adams, our best player. He’ll pick up the phone when Houston comes calling, and they will for sure. It’ll be their due diligence. If I were him, I’d wait and let them call me....I think we’d be their first call with the #2 pick and a struggling QB. Maybe their second call if they are hot on Tua. Either way, they’ll call...

and in any case, I’ve seen some rumors that JD may even have already inquired anyway.

so I don’t know what JD is thinking, but if I had to guess, I’d say he’ll think about it and probably make a reasonable offer. No idea what his definition of reasonable would be, but I’d be surprised if it’s three first round picks including #2 overall. I could see three picks but not the #2, I could see the #2 and one other first rounder, whether this year or next, and then a mid round pick....shit he could even get creative and trade down from 2 NOW for multiple first rounders and then trade 2 of our then to be three first rounders....shit could get wild who knows?

but I don’t see JD giving up a ton of draft capital and derailing his full team rebuild honestly....he seems more like the build steady the right way from foundations on out kind of guy

TheCleaner and Red Menace like this.
  4. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

5. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Acquiring a volume of valuable draft capital and then trading it all for one player reeks SOJ to me. Just chuck the rebuild out the window while green goggle fans insist it is a rebuild.

Baumeister, Br4d, TheCleaner and 3 others like this.
  6. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

yeah...agreeing early without a true commitment is way risky....it allows other teams to come in a top the offer. That happened to us with the free agent OLB from Minnesota a couple years ago....we had a deal agreed to and then Minnesota topped it at the eleventh hour. I know that a free agent and not a trade, but it’s still risky. You’d have to have a termination penalty in the contract, something like a draft pick would be the price if they back out of the deal at any point....something like that

7. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Without wishing to appear an argumentative stalker...

How the fuck do you know what JD would be willing to trade for Watson?

1 We have only seen him draft once.
    2 He has never had a chance to trade for a top 3-5 FQB in his time as a GM.

We do know he likes to trade and his a hard negotiator.

So with all respects, you know nothing of what JD will or won't do, just like the rest of us on this board.

J-Raw24, KY Jets Fan, Jets81 and 2 others like this.
  8. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

You act like they are planning to trade it for a bum, lol. It's for an elite 25-year-old QB, the most important player on the field.

And who said JD would trade "ALL" their draft capital?

bicketybam and FJF like this.
  9. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I know you are a free thinker and I’m just a plebeian so I can’t understand on the level that you can… But humor me. If you were looking at a completely different team that had in elite 26-year-old quarterback in his prime, a full array of picks including extra day 2/3 picks in 2021 and 2022, A stud young left tackle, a stud young defensive anchor, tons of money to spend and a new coach that was widely believed to be the top guy available… Would you consider them a rebuilding franchise or would you say they are in pretty damn good shape for moving forward?

Wah likes this.
  10. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

and how many pages have you taken up?

You could have said your piece and left, instead here you still are saying the same thing as at the start of the thread.

bicketybam and ouchy like this.
  11. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Ah yes. Sam Darnold, QB superstar kind of guy?

12. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

You clearly don’t read anything I post but that’s fine. Keeping Darnold would be the past of my preferred options. What I’m not interested in is spending a high pick on Najee Harris

edit: last of my preferred options*

13. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

I miss Tanner Purdem.

Jets81, HomeoftheJets and FJF like this.
  14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I understand and respect yours and others' viewpoint on this. The thing is none of us have all the facts. The story isn't that Watson asked for input into the HC and GM hire, the owner contacted him and told him he'd have it, then ignored his input. If Watson asked for input, that makes the situation very different imo, but if the story is correct that McNair went to Watson and told him that he'd have strong input into the new hires, then he created the expectation in Watson, and then to go back on his word? How would that make you feel? Would you want to keep playing for a guy like that? That situation is compounded by the fact that supposedly none of the players or fans like Easterly (or whatever his name is) as GM.

I read that Watson signed the contract after the trades took place. If that's accurate, that does paint Watson in a more negative light for now getting upset, but we don't know what they may have promised or told Watson with regards to those trades. They could have lied or gone back on their word in that situation.

If a team can cut a player willy nilly for underperforming, why shouldn't a player be able to "cut the team" for underperforming? He only has one career and one legacy. If you were one of the top players in the NFL and your team had been badly coached and GM'd the first 3-4 years of your career, you'd taken a pounding behind the OL, and all of a sudden the team was old, over the cap, in need of a rebuild, and didn't have draft picks with which to begin the rebuild for another year, would you want to stay there and possibly waste your entire career playing for that team? Wouldn't you want a chance to win a SB? Wouldn't you want a chance to maximize your place in NFL history? Wouldn't you want a chance to stay healthy and be able to walk once your career is over? I would. If that makes me a selfish, greedy, low-character man in some people's eyes, I could live with that. I think fans have a hypocritical view of things in terms of contracts anyway. Most fans side with the team out of their own selfish desires for the team to win and be good. They don't care how the players are treated or paid. I used to be one of those fans, but thanks to several posters here talking about how one-sided that is, I have changed my perspective on this.

By all reports, Watson has always been considered a player of high, great character, humble, team-first, hard working, etc. Does it really make sense that suddenly HE is the bad guy in this situation? Not to me it doesn't.

15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

3 1s, 2 this year. That’s the jump off. Anyone saying they would give less than that isn’t interested in trading for Watson. It sucks but why would Houston accept less when they have the 2 & 3 picks bidding against each other and both have 2 picks this year? It’s a sellers market.

16. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

So here's the interview Schefter just did this morning with a DEN radio station. They're obviously talking Broncos, but you hear from Schefter that the rumbling he's getting from the situation is Watson would want to force a trade to somewhere closer to where he's from, and lists ATL, CAR, MIA, and even WFT off the top of his head. He does not mention the Jets, and you can see why he'd have said to Greenie "I wouldn't get my hopes up" this morning, if this is true.

17. NCJetsfan

No, he wouldn't. If he sat out 2021, they'd have no choice but to trade him. Their fanbase would be killing them. They wouldn't want to risk not having a QB or the necessary draft picks to rebuild the team. That's the crux of the matter. They are in desperate need of a rebuild or they're going to just get worse and worse over the next 2-3 years.

18. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

GMs like to build with their own picks. JD having both the second pick and 2 extra firsts that he negotiated has dramatically increased his ability to rebuild according to his plan. Now he has to face the temptation of giving that all up for one star player. Its a test and I'm glad he is facing it.

No GM worth their salt is going to bail on a real rebuild by giving away all the assets they acquired for one player. Especially if that player is wiping his ass with the contract he just signed and signaling chaos on social media.

Our GM is being tested right now. If JD is the real deal there is no way we give up 3 firsts in this situation. Were just fans, we can agree to disagree on what's a fail and leave the results to history.

#1398 ouchy, Jan 21, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
    K'OB likes this.
  19. NCJetsfan

This. That is also a reason that they'd probably take Sam in a trade. He could start for them in 2021, and then when he walked in FA, they could get a compensatory pick for him, because they probably won't be able to sign any FAs any time soon.

20. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I tend to agree as well since all I’ve ever heard about him is that he’s a great guy....but still....it’s not a good look. We can all speculate without really knowing, we can brush it aside, whatever...the facts are he just signed a HUGE deal and he’s already bitching his way out of town. I don’t care if it’s because of on field or off field issues, real or imagined. Who knows? The facts are the facts, and for a star player to complain so badly that he’s forcing his way out of town on a huge mega deal he just signed is not a good sign. It is what it is. We skewered Adams for it and he hadn’t just signed a new deal....can we imagine the backlash he’d have gotten if he had just signed a huge deal and THEN complained? We’d have killed him for it.

So yeah, I have no idea what happened behind the scenes and it could easily be all the teams fault. Who knows? But it’s a red flag for me regardless. It just is what it is.

I would still love to get him at the right price....and I assume JD would dig into this and talk to the guy before finalizing any deal as well....I think JD is a smart guy with a clear vision of how he wants to build the team. I’m also assuming that he’s smart and savvy enough to be able to consider a pivot if a new and unexpected opportunity arises....like the unexpected and really unprecedented ability to trade for a quality top young QB. It would accelerate our relevance for sure. It would eliminate the risk of either banking on Fields or Wilson to become what Watson already is, or banking on Darnold to become what Watson is if he surrounds him with better coaching and better talent.

that’s essentially JDs dilemma now....he has three paths he can go down now....

1. Trade significant draft capital and use up cap space (though not really this year....more a 2022 issue) to get the franchise QB and then build around him but with less draft ammunition

2. Ignore the trade, keep the draft pick bounty, and bet on Fields or Wilson or Trask or whomever to become a franchise QB and build around him with all those picks

3. ignore the trade, bet on Sam to improve under new coaching and new system and use those picks to build around Sam....either keeping the second and using it or trading down (probably more likely if he’s keeping Sam)

These next couple of months are going to be super fascinating....I think if a deal is to get done, it’ll have to happen ahead of the draft.

#1400 Jets79, Jan 21, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.