The Deshaun Watson Situation (POLL added for the potential price)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Rockinz, Jan 16, 2021.

?

What is the MOST you would give up to get Watson?

1. Just the #2 pick

24 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. The two 1's and 3 we got from Seattle

37 vote(s)
    27.2%
  3. The #2, Seattles first in 2022, our 1st in 2023

55 vote(s)
    40.4%
  4. More - just get it done.

20 vote(s)
    14.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I can't wait to see him supplex Bill Bellichek, then roll him into the camel clutch on the 50 yd line

NCJetsfan, Jets79 and NYJFOREVER like this.
  2. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Let's see. The Jets have less talent than Houston. With Watson the Texans won four games. So instead of using the draft to stock up on young guys we trade that chance and take on a ridiculous contract. Unlike media and some posters Joe Douglas is not after the shiny object in the short run. He wants to build a team.

Baumeister and ouchy like this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

This is a valid question, or at least was. I believe the Jets' image is changing rapidly.

Following are the reasons why I believe that he could want to be traded to the Jets.

One, JD is respected league-wide. He handled FA and the draft like an experienced GM and had an excellent first draft. He has positioned the Jets with a ton of cap space and 19 draft picks over the next two drafts, including four #1 picks and five picks in the top 100 this draft. He has proven himself so well, that the Johnsons stepped back, let him hire the HC and are letting him call the shots. They may even have changed the org chart to where Saleh reports to JD.

Saleh is respected league-wide as well. Players love him. Along with Bieniemy, they are the two candidates that Watson was most interested in as the Texans' new HC.

This is a twosome that Watson can trust and respect. He could easily believe that they will build a winner in short order with all the draft capital and cap space they have, particularly with him at QB.

The Jets already have a star LT in the making to protect his blindside. They have a solid C in McGovern. Even with Fant, Lewis and GVR, they have a better OL than the Texans. In addition, with JD being a former OL, he's almost certain to keep upgrading the OL.

They have a proven WR in Crowder, and an emerging WR in Mims. With their both being in Texas, I'm certain that Watson knows about Mims career at Baylor and what he is capable of. Allen Robinson has seemingly indicated that he would love to play with Watson in NY with the Jets. Hernandez is a decent TE and the Jets could add another in the draft.

It could be a ploy, but Watson's agent has indicated that he'd like Watson with the Jets.

The Jets are one of the few teams with the cap space and draft capital that could swing a deal with the Texans.

It may not happen. He may have no real interest in playing for the Jets. The Texans may refuse to trade him or they may hire Bieniemy and Watson decide to stay in Houston. IMO the Jets should certainly investigate, and if Watson is available and interested, then the Jets should pursue a deal, and anything within reason should be done to make it happen.

#1363 NCJetsfan, Jan 21, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
  4. Cromartie's_kid

Cromartie's_kid Well-Known Member

never said or implied it wouldn’t be - I was responding to your saying that what you posted from espn was proof that they would want 3 firsts and a player.

5. NCJetsfan

Have you ever considered that maybe we ALL should be more concerned with social justice, instead of sitting comfortably in our own cocoon and not giving a damn about others and their welfare? Our country and the world would be a better place to live and for your children, if we all cared more about others.

J-Raw24, KY Jets Fan and Fiftynine like this.
  6. NCJetsfan

No, it isn't.

7. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

There is very little chance that JD wants to give up 3 firsts for a QB. If he does that I will be shocked.

Baumeister and hornblower like this.
  8. NCJetsfan

I'm not so sure about that. If FJF is right about the way most of the NFL views Sam, then they could easily like Sam better. Tua had a much better team around him and much better coaching and didn't play well this year. He was benched for Fitz. He has that hip condition which could prove to be chronic. He's a southpaw too, correct? Some teams may not want a southpaw QB. What I'm seeing here and on Twitter is that other teams view Sam as a victim of how Mac, Bowles and Gase did everything wrong with Sam, including the wrong offensive system the last 2 years.

9. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Technically the Jets have less talent than the Texans as of today, January 21. But the Texans have very little cap space so they will have to cut and/or trade guys and no 1st or 2nd round pick. They will have a net loss in talent by the start of the 2021 season. The Jets have quite a few picks as well as substantial cap space, and there is every reason to believe they will have a net gain in talent by the time the season begins.

FJF likes this.
  10. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

agreed

not only that, I don’t think the Steelers have the ammunition to close the deal. They consistently pick in the 20s, so their picks won’t be high enough. Whatever package they can cobble together, there will be several teams, like the Dolphins or Jets or Lions or Patriots or Bears, who could most likely beat the package.

but really from a cultural team building standpoint, that just does not feel like the Steeler way at all...I’d sooner believe the Patriots swing a deal than the Steelers

#1370 Jets79, Jan 21, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
    Br4d likes this.
  11. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

why are we pretending like you can’t build a team around an elite quarterback who is 26 years old, a sophomore left tackle who is already playing at a high-level, first round picks in the next two drafts on top of extra day two and three picks, and a shit ton of money to spend? I don’t understand how this is still an opinion and we are like 70 pages into this thread.

NCJetsfan, Fiftynine, FJF and 2 others like this.
  12. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

It's also not just any QB, you're talking about an elite QB.

And I think he would easily give up 3 1st round picks, especially if you were talking about the Seattle first this year, one of the two 1st round picks next year, 2023 1st round pick, and Sam Darnold.

I do think JD would try to hold onto that #2 pick as much as he could.

13. MaximusD163

All I’m saying is that guessing what the Texans would prefer is about as worth while as trying to catch a giant squid with a rod and reel. They could like Tua, they could like Sam, or they could want neither and want to pick a QB.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Do we want:
    Watson, Najee Harris, Josh Meyers, Amon Ra St Brown with 2 less first in the next 2 years.I wouldn't do it if we have to give up that 2nd rd pick this year.

or

Zac Wilson, Rashod Bateman, Najee Harris, Josh Meyers, and Amon Ra St Brown

15. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Sam is 23.

16. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

To be fair 40 of the 70 pages are the same 6 people making the same point about how Watson will be the savior.

There are no shortcuts to success.

Robert Saleh

17. BroadwayAaron

listen, I wholeheartedly believe that Darnold would have been a very good quarterback in this league had the Jets provided him any kind of help whatsoever and didn’t hire the worst possible head coach imaginable. But if you are going to tell me that Sam can be anything even remotely close to what Watson currently is over the next three years, you are bat shit crazy. Not to mention that would include having to pay Sam a bunch of money to stick around if he does have a great season in the next two years.

KY Jets Fan and NCJetsfan like this.
  18. BroadwayAaron

Imagine how much shorter this thread would be if the same people didn’t have to explain a million times that trading for an elite 26-year-old quarterback entering his prime isn’t a shortcut

J-Raw24 and bicketybam like this.
  19. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

The notion that Houston wouldn't demand both our first rounders this season is wishful thinking. Its not like they are going to try to work around our rebuild. They will want both 1s this season.

Jets79 likes this.
  20. MaximusD163

I wouldn’t take either of this collection

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.