The Deshaun Watson Situation (POLL added for the potential price)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Rockinz, Jan 16, 2021.

?

What is the MOST you would give up to get Watson?

1. Just the #2 pick

24 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. The two 1's and 3 we got from Seattle

37 vote(s)
    27.2%
  3. The #2, Seattles first in 2022, our 1st in 2023

55 vote(s)
    40.4%
  4. More - just get it done.

20 vote(s)
    14.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

The only comparative big name youngQB that I have seen traded like this was Jay Cutler in 2009 for the 18th 84th pick 2010 1st rounder and kyle Orton in return for the 140th.

The net on that is 1474 trade value points plus Orton or the equivalent of the 7th pick in round one.

In this case we also have to account for Watson's salary cap figure.

By comparison to the Cutler trade giving up the 2nd pick (2600 trade value) is a much much steeper price.

#1321 Noam, Jan 21, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
    Poeman likes this.
  2. Cromartie's_kid

Cromartie's_kid Well-Known Member

that’s speculative at best. Not saying they won’t want that but this is hardly confirmation of this.

ouchy likes this.
  3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Thanks. So a whole bunch of nothing. That Tua stuff was making the rounds on Twitter so I thought maybe this article had some substance but it's just more of the same.

Texans not liking Tua is great for us if true. That means they can't trade to 3 unless they value Fields and Wilson equally.

NCJetsfan, FJF and NYJFOREVER like this.
  4. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

If a box safety that can't cover (Jamal Adams) went for two 1st round picks you can guarantee that Watson will be more.

5. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I understand that but really a guy following a man up and down the line pulling on his fucking jersey, hows about just not stepping on the field of play or on the white line and engaging the old brain instead, surely it can't be hard to avoid doing :rolleyes:

Bloody ridiculous lol

REVISion and NYJFOREVER like this.
  6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

And now the get back coach is out of a job. He’s has bills to pay, a house and kids. Now he turns to selling drugs to make ends meet. The. One day he gets blown up in a deal gone bad. His kids are fatherless. The son breaks bad hell bent on getting revenge on the people that killed his dad. Finally finds them,chases them down on the freeway, collides with a bus in a fireball of a collision. 43 dead. All because you want to get rid of the get back coach. Are you happy now?

J-Raw24, NCJetsfan, Fiftynine and 6 others like this.
  7. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

You’re going to have to claim there is no difference in the laws and social practices of the 50’s and 60’s and today to argue the racism of those times still exist and is not a relic of a bygone era. That’s not to say racism doesn’t exist, but the claim you are clearly making isn’t based on racism in general, which has been part of humanity through its entire existence — from all races, but a specific practice of racism.

8. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

TL;DR: Let’s acknowledge that not getting Watson is 100% fine, too.

The Jets getting Watson at a reasonable price would be great. Short of that, Watson staying with the Texans or going to the NFC would also be good. The only real negative outcome would be Watson going to the AFC East. (He’d would really alter the balance of the AFC East.) Regardless if Watson’s the QB or not, the Jets have a ton of picks to build a young foundation and the cap space to cement it with quality vets.

Future’s bright.

9. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

REVISion and FJF like this.
  10. Get me the Damn Ball

Get me the Damn Ball Well-Known Member

Best case scenario would be trading for Watson after the draft. This way we can capitalize on this draft and trade picks starting from 2022 instead.

11. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I am perfectly fine not getting Watson and staying the course unless he ends up with the Dolphins for a package comparable to one that would have still left us with a first round pick in each of the next two drafts. If he ends up there because we didn't try, I'd lose a ton of faith in Douglas. If he ends up there because he chose them, then it shows how important it is to NOT fuck up the course.

12. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Nah man, that's the long snappers story :D

FJF likes this.
  13. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

You could also argue that the #2 overall is worth 2 typical 1st rd picks ;)

NCJetsfan, REVISion, Jets79 and 5 others like this.
  14. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Actually the 2 pick is worth 3 Jamal late round 1st picks.

15. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Agreed. If Watson doesn't come to the Jets because Douglas didn't do his due diligence, it would be very, very disconcerting. I doubt that would be the case though. Strong agree that it's really important to not fuck up right now. The Jets absolute cannot afford an Idzik-style 2014 draft with 12 picks and 12 misses.

NCJetsfan, ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.
  16. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

Maybe, but there's the human factor to consider. If you expect me to make it through 3 months of this, my blood is on your hands.

17. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

This is true, but the two Seahawks picks were never likely to be earlier than 20. This year's has turned out to be about as high as it could have realistically been, the only way next years will be different will be if Wilson misses a significant period of time. So that's 2 picks in the 20s plus a mid/late 3rd.

However, the #2 alone is worth a fair bit more than that. The equivalent of 2 first round picks in the early teens plus a third. Throw in a 2022 first and a bit of cap relief and that gives the Texans their 3 firsts plus and some cap space. That's probably equivalent to double the Adams fleecing.

I also don't particularly understand this idea of giving up a 2023 first. If you get Watson that's when his cap hit will start to bite more. I'd say that's exactly when you want your first rounder, not to have none. I'd rather give stuff now.

18. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Ya we have two things working against us.

Texans LOVE Watson and would despise losing him

Douglas LOVES his draft capital and would despise losing it.

Jets79 and Noam like this.
  19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think it would behoove any Jets fan with a Twitter account to go on the Seahawks official page and tell them what a smart hiring choice it would be for Adam Gase as their new OC.

20. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

That I completely agree with. Unfortunately the premise of the original post could apply to anyone with parents because there are still plenty of people who use that same kind of language to this day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.