The Deshaun Watson Situation (POLL added for the potential price)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Rockinz, Jan 16, 2021.

?

What is the MOST you would give up to get Watson?

1. Just the #2 pick

24 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. The two 1's and 3 we got from Seattle

37 vote(s)
    27.2%
  3. The #2, Seattles first in 2022, our 1st in 2023

55 vote(s)
    40.4%
  4. More - just get it done.

20 vote(s)
    14.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

This is not even remotely close. Jamal whined because he wanted to get paid, and then when he didn't get paid he whined about getting out. Watson already got paid, he wants out because he's been disrespected multiple times by ownership. When someone has already gotten paid and they want to get out, that means the situation is terrible. And it is. I wouldn't even mention Watson and Adams in the same breath.

Fiftynine, KY Jets Fan and Ray Lucas like this.
  2. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

I wish there was an unlike button. So you are saying you would trade Fields (unproven rookie with lots of question marks) and maybe some later round flier picks for Desaun Watson (a top 5 NFL pro bowl QB) ... It's gonna be a long couple of months. This is a franchise changing move in so many ways, it's not just the QB. FA would be knocking on the door to join this rebuild, ARob, Sherman... It would immediately make this a desirable team for any FA as well as selling out stadiums and jerseys. It's a no brainer for a GM and Owner. Sorry if we disagree but this is about so much more than a QB and all you are willing to give up is an unproven rookie QB?!? Ugh, I'll never understand the thought process here.

88toon and Lon Chaney like this.
  3. BroadwayAaron

Yup, which is why I'm not getting my hopes up every time one of these dopes likes something on Twitter or posts a video with subtle hints.

When guys like Richard Sherman are telling him to go to NY though...

4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Not too often a 25 year old 3x Pro Bowl QB in his prime becomes available. Like once in every 20 years.... and that's a maybe.

you gotta go out and get him.

5. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I’m leaning against it. There are too many outsiders pushing for this. I get nervous when non Jets fans tell me “it’s a no brainer”. It’s not like they care about our best interest. Signing Bell was supposedly a “no brainer”. I preferred Josh Allen but the pundits said Sam was the “no brainer” pick. When I was “whining” about passing on Mahomes for an in the box safety, the they were saying Adams was a “no brainer” pick.

Rockinz and NCJetsfan like this.
  6. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

As a Brit, can you explain?

Are they not all one and the same, college kids good at sport, Baseball, Football or Basketball? It is more likely to be a generational thing and besides all of that it isn't the typical player wants out to move to a better team scenario, hell, he is coming to the Jets, for starters :D and more to do with how they are treating him by breaking promises, if that is true then who can blame him for wanting out.

7. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

How is he being disrespected? he is an employee, he’s getting paid, he’s not part of the ownership or front office.

This nonsense of empowering the employees has to stop. The owner made mistakes with some of his hires and personnel decisions, he’s trying to fix it, he fired them and is trying to hire new people to change direction of organization.

A true leader would be on board with changes and know the limitations of his role in the decision making process and encourage compliance and support for new direction.

ouchy likes this.
  8. BroadwayAaron

This post is a perfect example of why Watson wants out.

Long story short, if you don't seek the input of your franchise QB, the one who will make or break you, the one who is making you all the money... and even worse, you tell him you want his input then ignore him... you are a shitty owner and you deserve everything that come your way.

9. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I don't disagree with that but when they promise that you will be empowered and then shit on you instead what do you expect?

I believe Sam sat in on Gase and he was still a rookie ffs

Fiftynine likes this.
  10. chad2coles

chad2coles Well-Known Member

It's hard to overpay for Deshaun Watson. He just had an incredible season for a complete mess of an organization. The Jets are well positioned draft picks so that they could hold on to a 1st round pick in each of the 1st 2 years of his time on the Jets to continue to improve the team. We've also got the cap space in a year with an unusual amount of talent in free agency to build a strong team around him, and when his salary jumps up, the cap should increase by over $20M to cover most of the increase.

2021: #2 overall, Jets 3rd round pick
    2022: Seattle or Jets 1st round pick
    2023: Jets 1st round pick

Trade Darnold for a 3rd round pick and we still have 2 picks in the 1st 34 picks this year and 2 3rd round picks and a lot of cap space for Douglas to fill out the roster.

11. BroadwayAaron

I honestly can't ever remember a time where an elite QB in the early years of his prime was available. Definitely not in the last 20 years.

Also how the hell was 20 years ago not the 90s? Ugh.

jonnyd and BrowningNagle like this.
  12. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

JD really set himself up here to do whatever he thinks is right. He’s got the picks, he’s got the money.

He’s got a ways to go before he’s anointed, but I really like how he’s going about his job. To even be in the conversation here is a huge positive and in part a testament to his decision making.

13. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I would go one step further. If Watson is really on the market, it's unprecedented. The only close scenario I can think of is Drew Brees but he was a free agent and coming off a shoulder injury - and really only had one year of pro bowl level play.

This type of QB never hits the market at this age. People who think a deal is getting done for just the number 2 pick are delusional.

14. chad2coles

chad2coles Well-Known Member

I can't think of a QB this good this young ever being available.

15. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

Absolute insane thinking on this board. We are literally in the middle of a completely unprecedented situation to get a top 5 QB on a friendly salary ($85 million over the next 3 years) at 25 years old and people want to pass on him for lottery tickets. Insane thinking it really blows me away.

I'll ask it in a completely different way. I think everyone would agree that we have NAILED some recent 1st round picks. Becton, Quinnen and Jamal. I think we all agree that those have been some home run picks for us. And those picks were not just 1st round picks, they were HIGH first rounders all in top 11 of the draft. If you were guaranteed to nail the next 3 1st rounders (which of course there is no guarantee) would you trade these 3 players for a top 5 franchise 25 years old QB on a GREAT contract and still have 2 other #1 picks to help him with $70 Million in cap space? That may a simplistic but semi practical way to determine (generally) if the draft capital needed to make this happen makes sense. If the answer is no, then I may not agree but respect it. I would give up those 3 players for Deshaun Watson

Ray Lucas, Fiftynine and Snatch Catch like this.
  16. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

At the time, I was saying Watson was the no-brainer pick. :confused:

legler82 likes this.
  17. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

AFAIK ownership (ie Cal McNair) asked him who he wanted to see get interviewed & McNair went out and totally ignored his advice (as well as the advice of Korn Ferry whom they had hired for the search) to just hire the dude that Easterby wanted.
    It's also pretty common for FQB's to sit in on interviews as well iirc

18. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Like I said it’s the non Jets fans that are making me nervous about it. When random Giants fans are telling me “you guys have to trade for Watson”, I take a step back.

19. BroadwayAaron

I am ready to get hurt again.

legler82, NYJFOREVER, NOVAJET and 3 others like this.
  20. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

My Guess is ATL or CHI

Houston does not want to trade him in Conference.
    ATL would be a great spot for him and they do have the #4

ouchy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.