The Deshaun Watson Situation (POLL added for the potential price)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Rockinz, Jan 16, 2021.

?

What is the MOST you would give up to get Watson?

1. Just the #2 pick

24 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. The two 1's and 3 we got from Seattle

37 vote(s)
    27.2%
  3. The #2, Seattles first in 2022, our 1st in 2023

55 vote(s)
    40.4%
  4. More - just get it done.

20 vote(s)
    14.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Seems like there's a lot of focus on draft picks, but don't forget, the Texans totally screwed their cap. Take a look: https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/houston-texans/ They have negative 18.7M in cap space, which is an incredible feat.

The Jets have more free cap than most other teams that'd want Watson. If Watson will waive the no-trade for the Jets, they could offer the Texans a package that include cap relief. Remember when the Browns ate the Rock Lobster contract for a pick? The Jets could eat a couple cap heavy, talent questionable contracts for the Texans (e.g., Mercilus, Martin, Cobb). Putting a package together of picks -- say everything that the Jets got in the Adams trade -- plus Sam and cap relief sounds like a pretty compelling bailout for the Texans. Then again, nothing happens unless Watson will waive the no-trade for the Jets.

2. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I get that they’re saying “no shortcuts” but thats not the same as saying “we’re going to ignore the opportunity to trade for Deshaun Watson”.

At least, I’d certainly hope not. JD seems like the kind of guy that will at least talk to the Texans whether he plans to make a hard push or not.

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Seriously? The Jets would still have picks #23, #34, #66, #87, #98, 2-5th round picks and a 6th this year, they'd have a pick in every round except the 4th next year (including three in the 6th round), and all their picks except their #1 in 2023. They'd also get a pick or picks for trading Sam, and JD could trade down in each of the drafts to acquire additional picks if need be. We have PLENTY of draft picks, and when coupled with all our cap space, could easily build around Watson.

4. NCJetsfan

You don't know that. He likes Saleh and wanted the Texans to interview him. He is presently hanging out in NYC. He has seen pictures of himself in a Jets uniform in the media and liked them. His business manager is lobbying him to go to the Jets because of the endorsement deals he would get. Allen Robinson has also signaled that he would be interested in playing with Watson on the Jets. Does that sound like someone that wouldn't come here?

Ralebird likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

No, he isn't.

6. NCJetsfan

Nonsense. Watson has proven he can do it in the NFL. Lawrence hasn't. I don't think Lawrence has the leadership or accuracy of Watson. I have a feeling Lawrence is going to be a disappointment in the NFL. Even if not, you don't trade that kind of draft capital for an unproven rookie, when you can get a great veteran for the same price.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

Or at least willing to sign for a reasonable amount rather than charging the Jets a premium because they've been so bad. Saleh, JD and Watson would give the Jets immediate credibility, and that's priceless.

Get me the Damn Ball likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

You could be right, but I don't think the Niners have enough to get it done.

9. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Also, the goal should never be to get an average QB. Average QB's very rarely win Super Bowls. That is especially true in recent history. A team with an average QB is a team that has a definite ceiling even if the rest of the team is talented and coached well.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

Watson will never be a top-tier all-time QB? In what universe do you live, because he's already at that level in the NFL universe and in my universe. He's on a HOF trajectory already.

NYGANGGREEN likes this.
  11. NCJetsfan

They may not turn the job down, but they may not be that good or Watson may not want to play for them. That's the point.

12. NCJetsfan

In which case, the Jets wouldn't get Watson. They're not doing a trade for Sam and the #2 pick or for the #23 pick and two first rounders next year. I wouldn't want to give up both 1st rounders next year anyway. I think a better offer is the #2 pick this year (which the Texans will demand), our #1 pick in both 2022 and 2023, and Sam. In that way, we'd still have #1 picks this year and next. The Texans could either roll with Sam and trade down from #2 for a bevy of picks, or they could take Fields or whichever QB they want and still have two additional #1 picks to help them rebuild.

I agree that the Jets and Watson have the leverage. Houston doesn't. That said, Miami could be a player for Watson as could the Niners or Carolina. They could have other options if we don't give them what they want.

NYGANGGREEN likes this.
  13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

They have more leverage than advertised. It's all relative to what other teams are willing to pay. There will almost certainly be somewhat of a bidding war.

14. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

Watson supposedly sat in with the interview with Eric Beinnemy yesterday.

Beinnemy wants partial roster control and doesnt like that men of God have been chosen over good football players on the field.

The new GM will do everything possible to keep Watson now. Although this all depends on who's coming in as HC.

Still think it's a very low chance, but a chance is a chance.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

15. NCJetsfan

I think that's utter nonsense. Your view is entirely too negative not realistic at all.

NFL Caliber starters
    Becton
    Crowder
    Mims
    McGovern
    Fant
    Herndon
    Q Williams
    John Franklin-Myers
    Mosley
    Maye
    Hall
    Mann

The Jets could add Robinson, Thuney, Sherman and another player or two in FA

Draft - Trey Smith, Javonte Williams, an Edge prospect, a OLB who excels in coverage, and a SS and would be immediately competitive.

Next year with the exception of not having a 4th round pick, they'd have a full complement of picks including three 6th round picks. Unless JD blew all the picks they'd be a playoff team.

apjbfc likes this.
  16. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Fatukasi and Hweitt were stout this year.

Not sure about Mims just yet but it was only his rookie year.

Hopefully he and Davis are keepers.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

And yet we have posters pissing on the idea. Sometimes I hate Jets fans.

18. NCJetsfan

Exactly! Saying that one has to have a team of elite players is absurd and totally clueless. No team can do that.

19. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Conflicting reports on that one:

Snatch Catch likes this.
  20. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

yah....I get it. I love Watson too....like I said, he was the draft pick I was pulling for at 6.

I hate giving up three first rounders, but he is a great QB and he’s young so I can see it as a valid discussion, though from what I’ve seen of JD, I don’t think it’s his plan. But of course...plans can change when new info comes available.

going to be fascinating to see what JD does...trade multiple picks for Watson, draft Fields or Wilson, trade down and keep Sam, trade down for more picks and take Lance, trade Sam....so many ways to go....

JD will certainly earn his money this offseason

NCJetsfan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.