The Deshaun Watson Situation (POLL added for the potential price)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Rockinz, Jan 16, 2021.

?

What is the MOST you would give up to get Watson?

1. Just the #2 pick

24 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. The two 1's and 3 we got from Seattle

37 vote(s)
    27.2%
  3. The #2, Seattles first in 2022, our 1st in 2023

55 vote(s)
    40.4%
  4. More - just get it done.

20 vote(s)
    14.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

That is a very good point. If Texans are high on Tua, the package with him in it could be VERY attractive. However, Tua's value has been drastically hurt last year. It's definitely higher than Sam's, but he has been underwhelming thus far when he played. At this point, someone like Jalen Hurts proved more than Tua did. And this is on top of Tua's injury history and small for a QB size. Add to that the fact Mac Jones just replaced him and did even better in Alabama, and chances Texans would be thinking of him as a potential starter at QB after Watson are not that high and they may be looking at the draft to find a replacement. So, Tua I think more likely than not is not in play, and that removes a major chip off the table.

Aside from that, Miami's pick is #3, while Jets are picking 2nd. Depending on how evaluation of QBs goes, there could be major difference. After giving up on Watson, if Texans value one of Fields/Wilson higher than the other, they would want to get their top choice of the QB in the draft (outside of Lawrence), and #2 pick represents that, while #3 does not. Another element is that #3 would have been their original pick. It would not be a good visual to give Watson to get a pick back, which they gave away in the first place!

All and all, I think that depending on their value of Tua and QBs in the draft, Jets package of QB replacement (#2 pick) is likely going to be more attractive than Miami's. That is important, plus Jets have other assets. The huge factor in Miami's favor was that Watson would be unwilling to go to the Jets even if we do offer a better package. However, circumstantial evidence (him definitely liking Saleh, like of a nypost, and hanging out in NY) shows that may not be the case. If he demands a trade officially, Jets may actually have a legitimate play here.

#621 Borat, Jan 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    Footballgod214 and Jets4eva9011 like this.
  2. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Fuck that. That's 4 first round picks.

No fuckin way

James Hasty likes this.
  3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Three... and we'd still have a first round pick in each of the next two drafts. I don't love the package but if push came to shove and it was give that up or watch Watson go to the Dolphins, I know what I'm choosing.

4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

See, stuff like this is not fair to Jets fans. We have suffered all this time, and now you are telling me it is possible to have Robert Saleh as our Head Coach and Deshaun Watson at QB throwing the football to Allen Robinson at WR? Unbelievable!

5. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Nightmare scenario which definitely adds incentive for the Jets to take the initiative. This is a rare situation where I think you consider overpaying, but not at the expense of crippling the rest of your team. There aren’t too many teams positioned to do that but the Jets are one of them.

ouchy and alleycat9 like this.
  6. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

Deshaun Watson
    Allen Robinson
    Najee Harris

Who says no

7. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I agree, the #2 (or #3 if they go Miami) will be Watson's replacement. They could probably sell that, something like Fields is younger version of Watson on a much better contract. Other assets on top of it would be to bolster the team. That is why they will probably want another relatively high pick THIS year. I doubt at this point that Sam or even Tua will be in play as a major asset - perhaps a throw in at best.

8. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

This. And this is probably why they'd have no interest in taking Sam. Texans already paid Watson his $22M signing bonus which is divided across his entire contract. If he's traded or cut, the balance of his $22M signing bonus comes due. And if they take Sam, he'll be looking to get paid in a year, and the Texans will end up being WORSE cap hell then they are right now.

They may even require whoever takes Watson ships over $22M in cap relief, putting Watson's contract back into the $40's per year. This just happened a few years ago...the team that got the good player also took on a scrub player with a huge cap #, just for cap relief (anyone remember this? Might have been that QB the Bronco's unloaded a few yrs back???)

This is where Randol Cobb comes in. He costs almost as much as Watson and his new contract is 'untouchable' for at least 2 years. Texans may want to part with both of them. Maybe 2 different trads, maybe packaged into one trade? But these 2 trades would put Texans back into green with significant cap $ to start their rebuild with.

So, could we afford cap wise to take on BOTH Watson AND Cobb? How awesome would THAT be!!!

9. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

The way I look at it is that the Texans should just strip it all down and get as many picks as possible. They can trade Watson and take Fields or Wilson, but those guys would get slaughtered on that team.

10. Yes to the first 2. Dont understand the hype at all for Najee.

J-Raw24 and NYJFOREVER like this.
  11. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

According to twitter posters, Watson did not like the NY Post tweet, he liked a comment on it that was left by a company that he partially owns and the comment had nothing to do with the NY Post picture.

12. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I don’t think they would pass on a QB. F you think you can bring in a good coach, you don’t expect to pick top 10 in 2022. They need to find an answer at that position.

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  13. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Again, I brought it up yesterday, but why is the #2 pick being treated so lightly in this trade scenario? Do you know what the Jets could get for it if they trade down? MULTIPLE 1st Round picks. So all these packages to Houston with the #2 pick plus 2 or 3 other 1st Round picks is ridiculous and borderline terrible if Joe Douglas did that (which he never would).

Jets79, NYJetsO12 and Poeman like this.
  14. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i love justin fields, i would hate to see him get stuck with the texans. for me deshaun watson is a top 5 qb in the league and i could argue top 3.. if you have an opportunity to get him you do it. the jets have a ton of draft picks and a ton of cap space, this is what you want to have those things for. anyone in the draft is an unknown, the current qb is an unknown, watson is a proven commodity who is still young and the jets wouldnt even be responsible for the signing bonus money. its a no brainer. if he goes to the dolphins and we have to face allen and watson twice a year every year its going to suck balls.

15. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I agree to three. That tweet has us giving them 4.

Our 2 firsts this draft, 1 in 2022, and 1 in 2023.

16. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

It said 2nd overall, 34th overall, 1 in 2022, and 1 in 2023.

alleycat9 likes this.
  17. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

That tweet has us only giving #2 in this draft, we still would have #23.

18. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

With the Jets luck the Texans would take Fields with the #2 pick and he would turn out to be the next Watson, and on a rookie contract. So the Jets will have paid three #1s to get the more expensive Watson.

Borat, Brook!, REVISion and 1 other person like this.
  19. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

This. As reported, all I would do is #2, Sea or NYJ 1st next year, and 2023 1st. Not a penny more. We will be ok without him with our draft capital.

Catfish Billy likes this.
  20. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

If you had $10k in a stock that suddenly jumped to $40k what would you do?

A. Sell and invest in a bunch of cheaper stocks. (Less risk, but less likely to hit that big)

B. Keep the stock and hope it grows.
    (Big risk, but could be major continued growth)

C. Sell it and invest all $40k into Apple.
    (Very Little risk but lower more sustained reward)

Trading down is A
    Drafting QB at 2 is B
    Trading it for Watson is C

Rockinz and The Dark Knight like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.