The Deshaun Watson Situation (POLL added for the potential price)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Rockinz, Jan 16, 2021.

?

What is the MOST you would give up to get Watson?

1. Just the #2 pick

24 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. The two 1's and 3 we got from Seattle

37 vote(s)
    27.2%
  3. The #2, Seattles first in 2022, our 1st in 2023

55 vote(s)
    40.4%
  4. More - just get it done.

20 vote(s)
    14.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I’m happy to do the deal if it’s little more than the Jamal Adams and Sam Darnold trade output (and some chump picks) for Deshaun. In fact, given our drafting history, they can have our next 100 second round picks.

If it’s anything nuts (3 x 1st rounders or more) then I'd rather watch the rebuild.

2. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

This I agree with completely! I think It would be awful to not try at least. We just got to be smart about It. Some of these suggestions that people are making that we give the Texans to get Watson Is just asinine though.

NCJetsfan and Wut? like this.
  3. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

It doesn’t bother me because unless Woody gets involved we will get a fair trade.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  4. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

The Jets wouldn't be mortgaging their future for Watson though. They would have a normal amount of draft capital and 60-70M in cap to build the roster around him. The only round the Jets would be missing a pick in is the 2023 first round and by that point, it should be a late pick anyways. The Jets can have a rock solid amount of cap space + a normal amount of draft picks + a QB who at his absolute best is just as good as Patrick Mahomes.

The Vikings issue is that Cousins' play doesn't warrant the contract he got. They went all in on an above average at best QB to carry them over the hump and it didn't work.

EDIT: Forgot to mention this, but the asking price for Sam according to Albert Breer is two 2nd rounders. So you can throw a 2nd round pick in there as well.

The Jets are the only team that can realistically trade for Watson and still build their team around him. Everyone else in the league will be mortgaging their future or hamstringing themselves (Miami, SF, Chicago)

rickjet likes this.
  5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Bro, bang out early. We don’t want to wait for this.

6. NYJFOREVER

I'm currently wasting my entire prep time on TGG right now.

FJF and Brook! like this.
  7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

How much have the Seahawks, Saints, Steelers, and Packers struggled since paying their quarterbacks?

Do you think the Chiefs will struggle with Mahomes going forward?

I thought the Rams were going to be a mess after the Goff signing and trading for Ramsey/signing Donald to a massive contract and they were 10-6.

The key is filling gaps within your roster beyond round one. The good teams do it and the bad ones do not.

You're inevitably going to have to overpay a quarterback because that's just what the market dictates. Why not get a player whose excellent and a tier above the Cousins, Tannehill, Stafford, etc. range.

8. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

If Joe Douglas wants to go to the hall of fame he needs to trade the Jamal Adams picks we got straight up for Watson.

They get #23 and a third rounder this year as well as a first and third next year from Seattle.

You turn Jamal Adams into Deshaun Watson you get a gold jacket.

#608 James Hasty, Jan 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    Rockinz likes this.
  9. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Exactly, paying a QB is not a killer. It leaves less margin for error, but if you draft well and don’t respond with emotional selections and trades you have every opportunity to be one of the best franchises.

10. MaximusD163

Unfortunately Houston won’t accept that trade. There will be teams who can and will offer more than that.

11. NYJFOREVER

Any trade the Jets make will include #2.

12. Once Watson decides which teams he would accept it comes down to who puts together the best package. Assuming Jets are involved they can beat any other teams if they so choose.

But these teams should not be offering the moon for Watson.Really.The Texans have absolutely zero leverage. Watson is too expensive for them to just let sit nor does any new HC want that distraction & cap peril hang over a turnaround situation.PLUS its likely teams will need to eat some of the cap hit to help make it financially feasible.

If teams are smart & take Texans to task as they should,the Jets could very easily walk away w Watson for alot less than anticipated.

13. MaximusD163

I still cannot fathom that this might actually become a reality. How could the Texans get themselves into this situation? How can you alienate your franchise star this much, and actually entertain the idea of trading him?

The Jets have the inside track to Watson because of the #2 pick, excess picks, a vacant franchise QB position, a popular HC hire, a NY market for Watson, and are poised to build around Watson’s strengths. There is no team better suited to acquire him when you take every factor into account. It just becomes a question of if a another team decides to sell its soul. To outbid the Jets they would have to tear apart their rosters by giving up big time players either to the Texans or flip them for picks, and have to give up more future assets as well.

The #2 pick is all important, because the Texans don’t have the cap space to take on a veteran QB, and this is their only real route to getting a franchise QB in 2021.

14. Jonathan_Vilma

They don't have a ton of leverage with the player, but they can leverage teams against each other. They have more cards to play than just the player wanting out.

The question is whether Watson will waive his no trade deal based on what his future team will be giving up in compensation. I don't know if he's thought a ton about this. He may just want out at all costs but he could refuse to waive it if it screws the teams future.

It should really be a two team race with the Jets and Dolphins leading the charge. I see the 49ers and Falcons as dark horses. Local connection to Atlanta and they can send Matt Ryan and Julio to give the Texans something to market to their fans (even though most fans will understand that'd just be a flash in the pan of success at best).

The 49ers have Bosa to move and while he's unbelievable, he doesn't hurt the 49ers offensive production in the deal. Not sure if they'd be serious about moving him but he is coming off an ACL tear.

15. MaximusD163

Similar to the Jimmy G situation, the Texans couldn’t afford either Ryan or Jones. They don’t have the space for them on the roster. Maybe Jones, but it doesn’t make sense, they’d be dropping Cooks and Fuller and others like Watt for another expensive over 30 vet?

16. NYJFOREVER

If I was Houston, I'd take flip the #2 pick around for more picks. They need all the help they could get. If they take Darnold that's what I picture them doing.

rickjet and Snatch Catch like this.
  17. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Agree but they are not just offering the moon for Watson. Teams will be looking to outbid the other. It is going to take a large package to get him. If the Jets offer the 3 firsts, we get him as long as he waives his clause. Miami can not match that package and we have the pick above theirs.

rickjet and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  18. Jonathan_Vilma

Yeah it doesn't make much sense, but it'd be more of a PR move than anything. Look! We got one HOF receiver and a former MVP to fix our horrible management of this situation! Even though both are heading over the hill and overpaid for what their production is going to turn into.

As far as Garroppolo is concerned I believe he is cuttable for the 49ers this year without a huge dead cap hit. Not sure he has the same selling power to a fan base as Julio/Ryan even though he's younger. He sucks.

19. MaximusD163

I doubt it, how can you justify swapping Watson for Darnold? I think they have to go QB at 2

20. NYJFOREVER

Uhm... @FJF you might get your dream come true.

rickjet, KY Jets Fan and FJF like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.