The Defense Wasn't Great Last Night

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by nyjunc, Sep 14, 2010.

1. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

dig deeper, it isn't that simple. the Ravens converted multiple 3rd downs which they were unable to turn into points. it isn't about how many points you give up, it is about your ability to keep the opponent from gaining any first downs. if you can't stop them from getting firsts, you lose the game.

2. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I'm at work so some pages of threads are denied.

Why was the thread title changed? Just curious.

3. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

because it was that fucking stupid an argument that the mods had to change it.

black and white.

4. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

Oh good, a non-inflammatory thread title.

5. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

cool. Good to know.

6. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I'm not trying to get people to argue w/ me, I see the game differently than the average fan and I share my well thought out opinions. I cannot help it if some of you only see black and white.

It's ok for you to admit this is over your head rather than acting like you usually do.

B/c too many people do not understand this game.

It's ok for you to admit this is over your head rather than acting like you usually do.

Some of us have a deeper understanding of the game, others do not. Some see 10-9 and think the D must have been great, others can see through it. Don't attack people b/c of what you do not understand.

7. ajetsfan4ever

ajetsfan4ever Active Member

It's all about how many points you give up, and we only gave 10 up.

and had two sacks, and 3 turnovers.

and you forgot to mention that half of there 3rd and long conversions were on penalties.

thread headline = FAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

ok so I actually read the OP.

Yes and no.

That is all.

9. nyjunc

No it's not.

Again, I'll bring up the 2003 Jets example. We were 8th in points allowed but our D was terrible and killed us all year long. Unless you have an elite offense you aren't winning many games when possessing the ball for just over 20 mins.

Penalties don't count? There's fail in this thread but it wasn't the headline.

10. ajetsfan4ever

ajetsfan4ever Active Member

we can give up 50000000000 yards and i wouldnt even care, as long as we held em to 10 points.

if we had won you dont make this dumb ass thread!!!!

11. nyjunc

Obviously if we had won the defense wouldn't have cost us the game.

Who cares that an average offense had the ball for about 20 mins while the opponent had it 40, as long as we didn't give up points. They sure allowed our O to get into a ryhthm and score at will in those 20 minutes:rolleyes:

People forget that we are driven by the D, the D is held to a higher standard. The O and D are not equals. Obviously the D played much better than the O and looking at that the simple thing would be to say the O cost us the game but again you have to dig deeper. The D drives this team and when they can't get off the field keeping our O stiff on the sidelines it affects the O.

When facing a high powered O what is the goal? To keep your O on the field as long as possible in order to limit plays for the opposing O and keep them out of rhythm. That is what Baltimore did to us except we don't have a high powered offense. Add in the conservative approach of our O and it's easy to see why we lost the way we did.

12. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

This is why Dungy never won a SB in Tampa. I fear that with this team.

13. nyjunc

We have the pieces on O, we just have to begin to trust them. The biggest weakness I see is at LG. Faneca may not have been great but we shouldn't have let him go, that could change as Sluason develops but that is the biggest concern for me along w/ Greene and his fumbling. That becomes mental and is tough to overcome.

14. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

By all accounts Slauson played well minus an All-pro embarassing him. I saw him pull around Mangold and it looked like Faneca. The kid is going to take lumps this season, but as long as he isn't Adrien Clarke he should be fine.

15. nyjunc

I didn't watch him enough but the few plays I did specifically watch him he didn't look very good. rex is a positive guy and he'll always put a positive spin on it. I hope he gets alot better b/c through preseason and through week 1 our OL has not played well and a new LG is part of that reason.

16. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

How is it the defenses fault the offense couldn't sustain a drive? The offense was given the ball already in FG range 4 times and managed 3 FG attempts on the night. They were basically handed 4 FG attempts and only managed to get 3. They accomplished less than nothing. I could argue that if our offense never touched the field we had a better chance to win that game with a 4th FG attempt.

Prior to the last drive where the Ravens went into prevent the Jets offense ran 5 plays at most in a drive. The longest drive by the Jets offense all night was less than 3.5 minutes.

Code:
    TOP	Start	Plays	Result
    2:23	NYJ 21	5	Punt
    1:36	BAL 11	3	FG
    3:06	NYJ 22	5	Punt
    3:23	BAL 37	4	FG
     :49	BAL 31	2	Fumble
     :06	End of half
     :52	NYJ 31	3	Punt
    2:20 	NYJ 32	3	Punt
    2:14	NYJ 40 	4	Punt
    1:30	BAL 35	3	FG
    1:46	NYJ  8	4	Punt
    1:01	NYJ 18	7	Downs

(didn't count offensive penalty no-play as plays)

17. nyjunc

People forget that we are driven by the D, the D is held to a higher standard. The O and D are not equals. Obviously the D played much better than the O and looking at that the simple thing would be to say the O cost us the game but again you have to dig deeper. The D drives this team and when they can't get off the field keeping our O stiff on the sidelines it affects the O.

When facing a high powered O what is the goal? To keep your O on the field as long as possible in order to limit plays for the opposing O and keep them out of rhythm. That is what Baltimore did to us except we don't have a high powered offense. Add in the conservative approach of our O and it's easy to see why we lost the way we did.

18. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

So the fact that we would have had a better chance to win had the offense never touched the field is irrelevant? They were handed 4 FG opportunities and lost one of them for us.

The fact that our defense is supposed to be better than our offense does not mean the defense is faulted for every loss. The offense has to do a job too.

This is a simple game, you keep telling everyone to "dig deeper". How about you open your eyes and look at what actually happened.

Tell me why the defense is responsible for the offense doing less than nothing.

19. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

wow, i almost never agree with your assessments but im with you on this one ... but the original thread title was definitely too bold of a statement. even if the O is held to a lesser standard than the D, they still both performed below expectations

i think the O and D were equally disappointing ... the good news is that it looks like the problems were a bunch of issues that are correctable

20. nyjunc

The D limited the O's opportunities and the chance to get into a rhythm. They set them up a few times and the O didn't take advantage b/c they were playing conservative thinking all they had to do was win the TO battle and the D would win it but that didn't work out.