The Defense Wasn't Great Last Night

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by nyjunc, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

I don't care how the defense plays, if the offense can't score 10 points then you're not going to win.

2. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

The D was very good outside of cromartie.

3. IATA

IATA Trolls

Title change ownage.

4. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

Good call on changing the title. Junc probably won't reach his quota of petty arguments for the day now.

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The way I would put it is that the front 7 was outstanding for most of the game and the defensive backfield had some moments when it looked shaky. The overall effect was very strong though. That defense last night looked very much like the defense that started out 3-0 last year.

6. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

What you fail to grasp is that every game is different, one game you may have to hold an opponent to under 10 pts to win, the next week under 30.

Who changed the title of the thread? That's as weak as the lame attacks against me b/c certain posters just don't understand the game.

7. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

No, your thread title was created to generate a reaction (AKA trolling) and was not the point of our thread. You admitted this. Please do not try to provoke people this way.

8. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Last year we were #1 in the NFL on 3rd down with about a 32% clip, last night it was over 50% which is terrible, it didn't help that our O had a 9% on 3rd down but the Raven's D did a better job then ours which allowed them to win the TOP and control the game. In other words the D isn't without blame for this loss.

9. nyjunc

opponents 3rd down conversions:
    2009 first 3 games: 14-41 w/ only 5 of 7 yds or more
    2010 vs. Bal: 15-23 w/ 9 conversions of 7 yds or more

Our D looked nothing like it did the first few weeks last year

10. nyjunc

I don't need to generate reactions w/ thread titles, when people see my username in a thread it generates reactions. I posted my educated opinion and backed it up. Dig deeper and you'll get a better understanding of this game- it's not all black and white.

11. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

then don't.
    I don't disagree with your actual point that the defense wasn't great last night. That was fairly obvious.

12. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Junc, dig deeper and you'll realize your full of shit right now. You always blame the D. we gave up one TD last night and you still find a way to blame them, your a broken record on this topic.

13. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

True, Cro struggled with stupid penalties and Wilson was beat time after time. They still looked good.

14. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

...adn LOL on the thread title change, good work.

15. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

if the offense requires the D get them back the ball on the opponents side of the field simply to be able to score, it is the D's fault that the offense has such a pedestrian ability to move the ball on their own? we have a truly awful football team if the defense setting up the offense at their own 45 rather than their opponents 45 is deemed the defense not doing their job.

the D did their job and got the offense the ball in great position all game, so those conversions only hurt our defensive statistics, but they certainly don't lay the blame on the D for not putting the offense in a good enough position to win.

16. nyjunc

I didn't, don't change titles b/c you don't agree w/ it. That's BS and you know it. I made my point, I backed it up. You don't have to agree but don't act like a 12 year old and change titles.

Yes I always blame the D:rolleyes:

Can you bring something relevant to this thread please?
    Of course you agree since you also have no clue what you are talking about.

17. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Oh I have, but you choose to ignore it.

our offense was historically bad last night for the Jets franchise with 6 first downs. Thats Kinda relevant. We scored 0 touchdowns last night. Thats kinda relevant. You titled the thread "the defense cost us the game" which it clearly did not.

So show us how the defense failed us so badly by giving up 10 points and causing 3 turnovers?

18. nyjunc

I have acknowledged the O was terrible but please read the whole first post so I don't have to keep repeating myself.

19. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

The defense was on the field for 40 minutes last night and gave up 10 points, which could have arguably been 6 points. Did they shoot themselves in the foot on 3rd downs? Yeah, obviously. The front 7 was tremendous in stopping the run and short passes. Heap and Boldin earned their paychecks against Cromartie and Wilson, who need to improve.

I'd rate the defense an A- for that performance last night. If it wasn't for overofficiating and sloppiness - PI calls, holding the receiver on a 3rd and 28, defensive mismatches with receivers then they would have been spectacular. We all knew going into the season that this secondary would be special, legendary even. If they play to their capabilities and standards from last season paired with the way our front 7 did, we may be looking at an all-time great D. The offense needs to keep them off the field though. The offense was downright disgusting... miserable.

20. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

no, you didn't back up the assertion in the original title that the D cost us the game, you simply explained how the D wasn't perfect. nobody said they were.