The Defense Wasn't Great Last Night

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by nyjunc, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

We knew junc would be around to say this eventually. Its a broken record of him finding fault with the defense. Yes our Defense that gave up 10... 10 points all game. That gave the offense good feild position several times only to see chances blown. That spent the majority of the game on the feild because we could only muster a total of 6 first downs.

You can argue this to death all you want junc, but the offense did nothing all fucking night. This thread should have been cesspooled right off the bat because it is ridiculous. Your better than this.

2. The Jutty

The Jutty Banned

Wow. No just no. I'm not going to read through the pages, but anyone who watched the game knows the defense did just fine.

3. greenbeanz

greenbeanz Well-Known Member

no they didnt. junc is right in a way.

at first i wanted to rip the shit out of his post and stupid thread, but hes right. you have to consider the penalties/cromartie and wilson. wilson is a rook. he had a rookie night. it happens.

but cromartie has no excuses. you turn around and you play the ball. if you play the man while the ball is in the air, you are either gonna screw up or get called. bottom line. THAT's what kept the D on the field all night long.

yes, the offense sucked absolute donkey dick and i want to know if schotty wrote the game plan in crayon bc thats how amateur it was. and sanchez needs to grow a sack and take a shot instead of checking down every play. and shonn "tiki" greene needs to hold the god damn ball. but at the end of the day, when you watch the ravens have a 76 yard drive that was 69 yards of penalties, you have to put blame on the D there.

4. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Huh? please explain this? You act like I attack the D all the time. I love our D but it is overrated, sorry you cannot see that. It's a very good D but too often they folded in big spots a year ago and they were torn apart on huge 3rd and longs all night.

I never defended the O, I never said the O was good I just pointed out how the D hurt us b/c many people cannot understand how a D that allowed 10 pts can hurt a team but it's possible and it happened last night.

I still feel that this D can become a truly great D and truly dominant but they have to prove it and last night they didn't. It's one game, I haven't lost confidence in the D, the O or the coaches even though none did as well as they could have.

5. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

You also have to consider those as BS calls, at least the ones that handed them a TD.

No matter what he said 6 points, oops, I mean 10 points given up should be enough to win.

Our defense was on the field A LOT, we had 6 first downs the WHOLE game. That is currently last in the league. Our defense at about twice as many tackles as theirs, why? We were on the field so damn much.

3rd down could have been better, but when a offense gets 6 first downs and scores 9 points how do you expect to win? Only a retard would buy into this.

6. greenbeanz

greenbeanz Well-Known Member

oh im not saying the offense is not the true enemy here, because they were beyond pathetic in EVERY aspect, but you cant say that the D doesnt get some blame here. a lot of those calls were BS but at the end of the day, when youre D is playing sloppy, like cromartie was ALL night, then you are not gonna have calls going youre way. i dont agree that they cost us the game, but they have to take some blame as well.

i also believe that this team has a bit of a discipline problem. for all the great things that rex brings to the table, keeping these guys in line is something of a weakness for him. i think he needs to be harder on them and get them to stop with the fighting and the sloppy wreckless play. i hope im wrong about this and it was only some week 1 "get it out of your system stuff" but it definitely was an issue.

7. nyjunc

There were a couple of bad calls but that's what happened when you play undisciplined football, you don't get the benefit of the doubt so on any close play it goes against us.

8. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Several times last year you attacked the D, defended Sanchez as playing well enough to win when he did not do great. We can go back to the pennington years as a great example of you defending an offensive player not matter the short comings.

Yes, our deense did some bad things last night, but came up with enough plays to hold the Ravens to 10 points. BUT THEY MADE PLAYS. Turn overs, Sacks, batted down passes. Our D did waht they had to do on all but one drive, that was continued on a ticky tack call against special teams.

Our offense ...... I'm trying to remember the big plays they made to keep drives alive, score points, or do anything for that matter. LT was out offense along with Brad Smith last night. Cotchery made a key drop, Sanchez looked lost, the Oline was very suspect in pass blocking (Woody formost amoung them), Shonn Greene could not hold on to the ball, Keller ran one yard short on the final drive, sealing a completely inept night for our O. Historicaly inept for a Jets O tying the all time record for fewest first downs by a Jets team. Just think about how bad that is, 6 first downs all night.

No sustained drives, no touchdowns, squandering great feild position, those things cost us the game, not the defense.

9. Cappy

Cappy Well-Known Member

Of course the defense gets some blame. No one's saying otherwise, far as I can tell.

People just think it's dumb to say that the defense "cost us the game" or that it deserves more blame than other aspects (offensive execution, playcalling).

10. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Here is something else that you can pin point on the D or maybe moreso on Rex. When the Ravens found out that Walt Anderson was on the game they right away realized that he and his crew have a tendency to call really tight games. That effects our style. We failed to adjust our defensive gameplan on how they were calling the game. I think Harbaugh was quoted on Thursday as saying "that's bad for the Jets"

Look it up, it's been posted on here a few times

11. nyjunc

Several times last year they were awful in big spots. You guys think b/c we were the #1 ranked D that we were a great D and that's simply not the case. The D cost us multiple games last year, they played well overall but they blew too many games that true big time D's not not blow.

I call it as I see it. Obvicouly the O was terrible last night but did anyone expect 20+ pts against that D? The gameplan was to not allow our QB to turn it over(I don't agree w/ it but that is what it was), the D needed to be great to win but they were just good and the awful performance on 3rd and longs absolutely killed us.

12. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

The offense did nothing to score points. NOTHING! If your D gives up ten points your supposed to win!

13. kaboom

kaboom Member

What baffled me (and I was at the game) was why, starting in the early 2nd qtr, Revis was assigned 100% of the time to cover Boldin. He was on Boldin way less than 1/2 the time including on critical 3rd down plays. It was so clear sitting in the stands and seeing Cromartie or Wilson (more Cromartie) lined up on the outside covering Boldin and with Revis over on Mason that Flacco would simply look to both sides of the field and know with 100% certainty that the play was going to Boldin. He is clearly their best and "go to" WR and we didn't try our best to stop him. I can see early in the game mixing things up and letting the flow of the game materialize but is was painfully obvious after a few series that Boldin was the guy and that they would go to him when he was not covered by Revis.

I believe that with better matchups on the Ravens WR's that the JETS squeek out a win as their were several key 3rd down conversions to Boldin.

14. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Revis did, he was bumping much more then Wilson and Cro, I guess they still have to earn the right to do that, as Revis did.

Am I the only one who really is not nervous about the season?

This is the same Ravens team that stomped the Pats at home in the playoffs 33-14. Again after all the complaints about this or that we still could've won at the end of the game. We were 40 yards away from a game winning FG and this entire board would be blowing everyone.

Pardon my language-

15. nyjunc

I'm nervous about Sunday but I still feel confident about the season and the ofense. I think we'll be fine, if we win on Sunday we'll see people talking SB again. I think we needed to be 2-2 after 4 to be in really good shape, however that comes about I'll feel pretty good.

16. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I would have loved one touchdown. Did you expect to hold the Ravens to 0? Did you think our Defense was awful because we gave up one touchdown and one feild goal all game?

I sure as hell expect to put up more than 9 points against any defense. I would love at least one touchdown a game, I don't think thats too much to ask when our defense and special teams gives you starting feild position inside thier 40 twice.

Yes, our pass D needs some work, but they still held them to 10 points. Our offense was HISTORICALLY bad for the Jets franchise. What part of that do you not get? Its not that they didn't score 20, but that they did next to nothing. They did very little all preseason and have continued doing next to nothing into the regular season. 21 mins TOP. 6 first downs. 2.6 yards per passing attempt. 0 touchdowns. Its funny that you will defend this offense and blame on the D.

17. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

I agree with you about coming out 2-2 - if we can manage that we should be OK.

18. The Mak

The Mak New Member

The first time the offense converted a 3rd down was inside 2 minutes left in the fucking game! WHAT FUCKING CRACK ARE YOU SMOKING?!

Posting in a shitty, horrible, terrible thread!

19. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

If it wasn't for the completions in that time sanchez would have throw for Forty yards! Disgusting! Against a no name secondary!

20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The defense didn't cost us this game. We had sloppy corner play from Cromartie and an over-matched rookie in Wilson in his debut covering a big elite possession receiver with speed, but they were just cornerbacks, and so their faults gave up field position but not a lot of points.

The Jets run defense nearly won the game for us and was the reason we were in it right to the end. As long as the defense plays exactly like it played last night we're going to be good for 9 or 10 wins regardless of what the offense does.

Next week is going to be a bit different because Brady can beat you without a running game and so the Jets could easily be 0-2. Most teams can't beat you without establishing the run though and that's where the Jets chances lie this year.