The Defense Wasn't Great Last Night

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by nyjunc, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

:) :)

I mentioned in the mod forum how thrilled I was to see this thread the morning after. See what I meant? When everyone else has had the life sucked out of them, junc, better than anyone, can keep this place breathing. Hehe.

2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

So the D was tired in the first half when this started happening? Bal's 2nd drive they held the ball about 9 minutes! so where does the tired excuse come into play on the 2nd drive of the year? They had the ball about 19 minutes of the first 30 minutes of the game. How could they be tired in the beginning of the game?

I anxiously await the next excuse.

3. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

Defense gives the offense the ball at the Baltimore 11. The offense proceeds to move the ball 6 yards on 3 plays and kicks a field goal. Maybe I'm not digging deep enough here but when you get the ball on your opponents 11 you should be able to score. Should the Jets D have waited to get the turnover so the offense would have more room to get into a rhythm?

This time the D forces a 3 and out and the special teams sets the offense up at the Baltimore 37. The offense hits their one lone play but Braylon doesn't get set and the play is called back. from the 42 the Jets move 32 yards to the Baltimore 10 with 15 of those yards coming from a penalty. Tough break missing out on the big play but it might have been nice to take more than one more look at the endzone on that drive.

The D sets the offense up in scoring position and the offense manages to run two plays before fumbling away another 3 points at least.

The D comes out and gets off the field in 6 plays to give the offense a chance to come out fresh after halftime and finally establish that rhythm!

And the offense proceeds to go 3 and out. I guess I need to keep digging to really see where the defense really costs us the game.

Brutal drive for the D but they manage to keep the Ravens to a field goal and give the offense a chance to take right back with their first sustained drive of the night.

And the offense responds with another brilliant 3 and out to send our D right back on the field after a long drive. It might have been nice to see the offense give the D a little help here and maybe let them get a drink of water before having to go back on the field.

Alright here we go the special teams helped out the D by pinning the Ravens deep and the offense by returning the punt to the Baltimore 35. Everyone seems to be pulling their weight. Just need a little help from the offense and the Jets can still pull this one out!

Seriously?

I have a sneaky suspicion that I still haven't gone deep enough but from this simpleton's point of view the offense sure didn't seem to pull much of the load in this game.

4. nyjunc

You shouldn't be changing headlines, it's part of the original post but b/c you couldn't counter it you went ahead and changed it.

5. nyjunc

What exactly dopes this tell us? so you posted the play by play from nfl.com? We can do that for any game? What is this telling us?

6. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

It was changed because you admitted it was created to get a rise out of people. If you weren't junc it would have resulted in at least a warning for trolling to go with the title change.

Stop acting like I didn't shred your argument to pieces. Your only counter argument is to whine about being attacked and to act condescendingly as if I don't understand your argument. That's why we aren't discussing the actual subject anymore, you can't hang.

7. ukilledkenny

Read and learn.

8. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

wait, how did the Raven's offense get in rhythm by the second drive if it requires multiple possessions to do so? shouldn't they have gone 3 and out again as well like the Jets offense? how were they possibly able to be successful on their second drive when their first possession lasted only one play? doesn't offensive success require having the ball multiple times before being able to move it, or does the Jets offense have a different criteria to be able to succeed than the Ravens? surely, the Ravens should have still been out of rhythm as per your own criteria for what an offense requires to succeed.

The Jets offense had the ball, did nothing, and then got the ball right back after one play, and still did nothing. clearly their inability to move the ball had nothing to do with being on the field as from the get go when they were on the field quickly they still couldn't.

I anxiously await your excuse.

9. nyjunc

what planet are you on? When did I ever say I made that title to get a rise out of people? please show me? and don't edit posts please.

You didn't shred anything, again you have you narrow minded thinking about the game and that's fine but you didn't shred a thing.

I don't care about being attacked, I point it out b/c people like you attack me rather than the argument b/c they can't attack the argument.

10. nyjunc

Does Baltimore have a better offense than us w/ a more experienced QB? Do they have more trust in their QB? Did Bal's Defense commit dumb penalty after dumb penalty to keep drives alive for us like we did for Bal? You act like the situations were equal and they were not.

11. JetBlue

it tells us exactly what you are trying to claim didn't happen. you claimed the offense wasn't given opportunities and needed field time to get in rhythm. well, after running a futile three play drive they got the ball back immediately and ran another futile three play possession.

then for the rest of the game they had equally dismal possessions. logic dictates that the similarity of offensive production between wither a long break on the sideline or a short break on teh sideline didn't change their production, so the break couldn't be the causation.

at this point it isn't even a matter of digging deeper, it is a basic matter of comprehension and intelligence, of which you have neither.

you want to make a causation argument, and logic disputes your causation.

on the other hand, my argument doesn't demand that the D be perfect from the get go and get 3 and outs, it only demands that over the course of the game they will get tired from being on the field. this is partially due to their own mistakes as well as the offenses ability to give them rests inbetween possessions -- possessions they successfully kept the Ravens from scoring on and thus ultimately accomplishing their main purpose.

you ignore that because it refutes your argument. that is your MO.

12. nyjunc

13. JetBlue

no, you just don't grasp the complexity of the situation. dig deeper.

placing the majority of the blame on the offense does not absolve the D for their mistakes. but they made up for their mistakes by keeping the Ravens from scoring and putting the offense into scoring situations which the offense could not complete. how did the offense make up for their mistakes? they didn't, and floundered the great position the D put them in.

14. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

+1:metal:

It is unfathomable to me that somebody such as junc, who pretends to know something about football, can even come up w/such a monumentally ill-conceived argument. The offense failed to move the chains and failed to give the D a decent rest. the longer your D is on the field the greater the chance is that the D will wear down and that the other side will get a big play. Its pretty basic football 101. In this game our D and was pretty damned good all game long. The Jets pretty much won the field position battle but our Offense failed repeatedly to convert positive field position into points. That failure is not the defense's fault - its on the offense.

15. nyjunc

Our defense got bal into a rhythm. We forced the TO on their first play the on their 2nd drive we had them at 3rd and 9 and what happens? Illegal contact and the drive continues, also on this drive we had a penalty on 3rd and 28 that kept the drive alive- did our O get those silly penalties to keep drives alive and get into a rhythm?

16. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

You cannot seriously be making such a dumb argument? Our O made plenty of silly penalties on their own. Our O repeatedly failed to even get a first down. Our O failed to get the ball in the endzone when they had first and 10 from the Bal 11. Our O repeatedly failed to convert excellent field position into points. Blaming those failures on the D is incredibly foolish. You are dismissed.

17. ukilledkenny

So your just going to ignore all the instances I just showed where the defense set the offense up in great field position? The defense and special teams made plays when they had to while the offense didn't make a single play the entire game. Did the defense cause all those silly 3 and outs that the offense had that allowed Baltimore to come back on the field and get into a rhythm?

18. nyjunc

You posted a play by play, get bakc to me when youn have something serious.

You guys act like I said the O was good, the O was awful and deserves their share of the blame. The reading comprehension levels in this thread are frightening.

19. JetBlue

nobody is disputing that. but the fact remains they still accomplished their main goal -- keep the Ravens from scoring and give the offense good field position.

the offense at no point accomplished their job -- move the ball and score, and they failed to do so whether they had a short break or a long break, so the break wasn't the issue.

but breaks for the D does have negative consequences as a game continues, that is they get tired and fail to perform as well. now the D caused this partially, and the offense caused this partially, so they are both to blame. so, even for arguments sake we will call that even, so how do we then assess blame to who is more responsible.

the only reasonable criteria is what each unit's task is. the D is to stop them from scoring and the offense is to core. the D gave up 10 points. no matter how you slice it, giving up only 10 points a game is great in the NFL, no ands, ifs or buts.

the offense only scored 9 points. no matter how you slice it, that is pathetic in the NFL.

so absent of the balme game for TOP, you have a D that did their job and an O that did not. logic dictates that it is thus the offenses fault for the loss.

please dispute that.