The Defense Wasn't Great Last Night

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by nyjunc, Sep 14, 2010.

1. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

The offense did nothing with it's opportunities. That is not the fault of the defense. The defense and special teams units set the team up for an opportunity to win (4 FG attempts) and the offense blew it by only getting off 3 FG attempts.

If the offense never touched the field, Folk would have had an opportunity to give us the win. Unfortunately, they cost us the game not only by not producing ANYTHING (which is there job) - but by losing an opportunity the other units gave us.

2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

It's not the D's fault the O did nothing w/ their opps but it's the D's fault for allowing an opponent to control the clock for 40 mins.

3. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

And if the O actually converts 3rd downs the D won't be on the field for that much longer.

It works both ways.

Maybe the D was tired.

4. nyjunc

Yes it does work both ways BUT our D is the unit that carries this team and is held to a higher standard. The CS asked the D to win the game and it didn't work, did they ask for too much? I think so, I think we should have attacked more on O but they wanted to play it ultra conservative and let the D win the game for us and it didn't work out.

5. WhiteShoeWillis

So in your opinion, the offense cannot be held responsible for costing us an opportunity to win? This is the NFL, you don't need 15 warm up drives to produce ONE DRIVE to put us in position to score ONE FG.

The offense has to be held to a higher standard than doing nothing but costing us.

The offense is what cost us the game, it's as clear as day.

6. nyjunc

I never said the offense was blameless, the offense was terrible and gets their share of the blame but the D is held to higher standards and I believe they didn't play up to those standards.

It's clear as day to those who just look at the final score, it's not as clear when take the flow of the game and gameplan into account.

7. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

I agree with junc to some extent since the D gave the offense far far too much time on the field. Once you allow the opposing team to control the T.O.P then you've already lost half the battle.

8. WhiteShoeWillis

But you're attempting to point the finger at one unit costing us the game. Junc, we're "digging deeper" here - not just looking at the final score. The defense and special teams set us up with 4 FG opportunities. The offense blew one of those which could have been the winning score.

I assure you the game plan wasn't for the offense to do nothing but cost us an opportunity to kick the winning FG.

When the defense and special teams allows 10 but gives you direct opportunity for 12 it is insane to say the defense cost us the game. The defense was one of the units that put us in position to win. The offense blew it.

9. nyjunc

It was a team effort in losing but I blame the D more than the O.

The gameplan was for the O to win the TO battle and we did that. They did not allow the QB to play b/c they feared against that D he would make big mistakes.

10. WhiteShoeWillis

The defense could have played better, particularly on 3rd down, but they put us in a position to win and I've clearly shown that in this thread. Either you're arguing for the sake of arguing or you don't understand how the game works.

If the Jets had the production of any other offense in the league, including the Bills, they would have won. That was a historically bad offensive performance.

Your ridiculous argument has been shredded and I'm not going to continue to argue to appease your need to argue. Good day sir.

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'm sorry, when a defense is on the field 2/3's of the game and gives up one TD and one FG you just can't find them remotely accountable for the loss. With all the penalties and the few big plays that defense still played better than 99% of all Jet defensive game day performances in the past.

This loss was on a malfunctioning offense. It doesn't belong anywhere else. You just can't make a case that it does. It's like the Atlanta game last year, the defense bent on ONE drive the entire game and the Jets lost. The reason they lost though is the offense couldn't get anything going. If you let a team hang around they're eventually going to beat you. That's the NFL. That's all it is.

12. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

Thank you for saving me the time.

13. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

disagree ... if the D doesnt extend drives with penalty after long third down conversion after penalty after long third down conversion, the ravens arent even close to scoring in that game, and then, the few points we scored are sufficient

from what rex said, it seems like the game plan was to win on special teams and defense, and not fuck everything up on offense

this loss goes on the O and D

14. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

The loss is mainly on the offense for not being able to get 6 points in the Red Zone and for fumbling the ball away at a critical juncture with the ball in FG position and for a complete inability to get a first down.

You cannot have a dysfuntional offense that cannot move the chains. You cannot simply have your D on the field for 70% of the game and expect to win.

Win as a team, lose as a team - but if the offense did their job and converted good field position into points the Jets would have won this game. Blaming the D is a bit ridiculous.

Both sides have room to improve and the good thing is that both sides will improve. Also the Ravens are the toughest team on the schedule - so there is that too.

15. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

When you go 1/11 on 3rd down, and you have the ability to keep the ball out of the Ravens hands, its on the offense. If the Jets wanted more TOP, make a fucking 1st down.

16. nyjunc

Again, it's not black and white. In a typical game where you have equal O and D I'd agree w/ you but you have to factor in the gameplans, the fact that our D is our domiant unit,...

You haven't shredded anything, all you did was change the title b/c you don't understand the point which is ok and why you should pay attention so you can learn.

Again:

When facing a high powered O what is the goal? To keep your O on the field as long as possible in order to limit plays for the opposing O and keep them out of rhythm. That is what Baltimore did to us except we don't have a high powered offense. Add in the conservative approach of our O and it's easy to see why we lost the way we did.

17. WhiteShoeWillis

No one is going to learn anything from you on this subject. You're so full of yourself that you don't even realize how incredibly stupid your argument is. In your mind the only possible reason people could disagree with your misguided opinion is that they don't understand and need to learn from you. Unfortunately for you, you're the one who doesn't understand.

Please stop with the "dig deeper", "you can learn from me" schtick already, I'm genuinely embarrassed for you.

18. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

It's kinda hard to not get dominated in T.O.P when your offense goes 3 and out all night.

Here is how I look at this situation. If the D plays like they did on Monday all season the Jets will have an opportunity to win most games. If the offense plays like they did on Monday all season it will be hard to win 4 games.

19. nyjunc

The only embarrassment in this thread are folks like you attacking me b/c of something you do not understand.

I am trying to help people like you who only see the game in black and white but you refuse the help and you keep sounding foolish.

20. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

You would have made a good King during the crusades.