The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HarveyTheJetFan

HarveyTheJetFan New Member

Sad time for the NFL where players have wayyyy to much pull against the owners.

2. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Who plays on the field anyway? the owners?

3. Cellar-door

Cellar-door Active Member

A note for those who say the Jets have nothing to lose, of course they do, beyond his ability he also eats a roster space and his salary's cap room. While they don't pay his salary, if he is a holdout and not cut he takes up a roster space, and as he could return at any time you have to reserve cap space in case he comes back, not a big deal this year, but big before next year if he chose to sit out a full year the Jets would be forced to trade him or give him a contract. A dangerous move on his part, but one that is on the table.

4. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Uhhh, what?

5. SyracuseJet

SyracuseJet Well-Known Member

That entire statement made absolutely no sense.

So you don't think Revis should be worrying about the risk of getting hurt and losing money? He will NEVER be in a better position to get a max deal then he is now. He, in his own right, HAS to go after it. After watching Leon's situation unfold, he has to be nervous. If he plays good but not great this year, that could cost him millions. He knows that. He has absolutely nothing to gain by playing on his existing deal.

6. CatoTheElder

That was my understanding. Mostly from the reports about the deal when it was signed which said that hitting his playing time incentives triggered the void. I've never heard of a contract that could reverse voided years.
    Exactly. If he's going to get paid, now's the time to do it.

#1226 CatoTheElder, Aug 7, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
  7. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

Jason Fitzgerald, NYJETSCAP.com

He underestimated the Revis team's, shall we say, hubris.

8. ........

........ Trolls

The Darrelle Revis Holdout Thread

That doesn't say that he can't exercise the void. It just states the other options at the Jets' disposal if he sits out this year. It is interesting, however, to consider the possible scenarios which could play out if he fails to report by August 10.

Revis may be forced to choose between not opting out at all and facing and a truly crap deal at that point. This adds some fuel to the likelihood he gets a deal done by the 10th.

9. CatoTheElder

As for the guaranteed money in the last two seasons, I don't think those matter too much for him. He's made it clear that he doesn't want this contract, which would include those last two seasons if the Jets decide to buy them back. Losing that money does not seem to be too much of a concern to him.

If he can hold out for a full year then there is no chance he's on the team in 2011 - or 2012 if the NFL goes into lockout. The Jets are not going to keep a guy who forfeited a year's salary to avoid paying for a team he felt disrespected him.

And isn't the RFA thing a moot point? Didn't the RFA cut-off bump to 5 or 6 years?

10. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Nah, that was for this year only and that was the old CBA.

11. CatoTheElder

FYP. There's no new deal yet. We still don't know what that's going to look like. But most likely, it won't go back to being a 5 or 6 year line. I was just pointing it out because a lot of people seem to be assuming a lot of things right now.

12. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Florio

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/08/tuesday-is-the-next-key-date-for-the-revis-holdout/

I think it was discussed in this thread - but there are question marks as to whether or not that August 10th date truly effects Revis. It would be nice to have someone other than Florio talk to this.

13. CatoTheElder

The only way he shows up on Tuesday is if he has a new deal complete with a lot of guaranteed money. He'll sit the season if the Jets cannot agree to a contract he likes and then he'll be traded next season, if the Jets don't pony up the guaranteed money.

There isn't too much that Revis wants with free agency right now. He'll either get the deal he wants here or he'll get shopped and pick it up from another team(please, God, don't let it be the Steelers).

14. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

To be the best defensive player in the game right now, and miss a season just seems too far fetched.

I can see him holding out for all of TC, and then coming in week 1. Strahan did it, and the Giants beat supposedly the best team ever in February.

I hope this gets resolved, but its not like his situation is special. This shit happens, but we aren't used to this situation. I don't think he'll miss the season just because Gilbert is his uncle. That is the papers taking something and making more out of it.

I'll predict Revis playing the whole season. This will be resolved.

15. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

Jets blockade Revis Island

The New York Jets have announced they plan a naval blockade around Revis Island, hoping to bring the tiny nation to its knees. "No money, no cafeteria food, no team gear shall flow into Revis Island until it ends its aggression against the Jets," said Jets leader Rex Ryan. "We must crush this uprising and set an example in the region." But Darrelle Revis, the sovereign king of Revis Island, has no plans of folding. "I do not fear the Jets. They are no superpower," he said. "They will fold to me when they see what it's like to have Kyle Wilson and Antonio Cromartie as their sole allies. The national debt and overpopulation problem of Cromartie will bring them down."

:lol:

16. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

17. ........

........ Trolls

And Strahan's job required significantly more integration with his team. He was more of an interactive cog than Revis is. I'm not suggesting that it doesn't hurt a bit to have Revis missing time with the team, but it hurts less than it would if he were a defensive lineman or a linebacker, or even a corner in a zone defense.

I agree, though, that it's less likely for him to miss a season at the top of the game than it was for Gilbert. Obviously Gilbert was a solid player and a one-time Pro Bowler, but he was no Revis.

18. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

In related news, the republic of Petoria has officially recognized Revis Island.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJLOnkAgvI8&feature=related[/youtube]

19. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Personally I'm of the mind set at this point make him a one and done offer on top with the fringes somewhat negotiable. The one and done part, Tell him flat out Davis's countract with Aso is out of line and offer a contract that splits the difference between Aso and Baileys contracts in terms of total value and in terms of guarenteed monies. Make him better paid than probably the best CB of the decade, Bailey, but not as much as the overpaid Aso. In other words that would put Revis at about 14 million a year, not sure what the guarentees work out to be though.

20. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Revis' camp has said they don't want better than the Aso contract and that everyone understand its an abomination.

its about guaranteed money. Revis wants a certain base salary per year and the jets wont give it to him. There is that aspect and then the Skill/Injury clause, and the Jets don't have the room to guarantee everything to satisfy revis. This whole thing is stagnant for more than one reason and we don't know enough to understand the difficulty.

We can only sit and hope that they find a unique deal to get this over with and get him playing in some preseason games

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.