The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

how sad will that be to see? If Revis could somehow nearly duplicate what he did last year, he would be on the fast track to the HOF, and quite possibly might be labeled the best that ever was. Everyone would stop comparing guys to Dieon and start saying, oh he might be the closest thing the league has seen to Revis since Revis.

instead, if he sits out the season, he will end up with a total of 15 million in his pocket, and the story about what could have been.

2. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

How funny would it be if they organized a meeting with Feinsod & Schwarts rapresenting Revis... and Tanny and the Terminator for the Jets :p

As soon as they meet Conner takes one of them out... and then Tanny starts negotiating with the other one. I bet we could have Revis signed in a day in that scenario :p.

3. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

This isn't Sicily.

4. jmclaw

jmclaw New Member

Wow! I just read that garbage on the agents website.

#11284 jmclaw, Sep 5, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  5. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I had to... btw NY is much more dangerous than Sicily...

#11285 Mambo9, Sep 5, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  6. GeshJet

GeshJet Active Member

Whichever NFC team offers the best combination of player and picks, taking into account where in the draft the picks are likely to be (how good the team is). I would try not to trade him within the AFC. If a very good trade offer doesn't come in, I'd just hold his rights.

Even if the Jets let the agents shop a deal themselves, the Jets can always reject a trade, using the agents' own position against them. For example, if the agents find a team willing to give a $160M contract, but only offer a 1st round pick, the Jets can tell the agents that their own position is that Revis is the best defensive player in the league, obviously worth more in a trade than that.

7. GeshJet

GeshJet Active Member

Jets have his rights forever.

8. DonnieBaseball23

DonnieBaseball23 Active Member

Well, we can all thank Al Davis for getting us in this situation...

9. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

Lito was unreliable at best. He was subject to getting burned quite a bit, which I'm sure Wilson will be this year, and he couldn't tackle. I have higher expectations for Wilson.

10. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

The good ones almost invariably have franchise QB's - Brees, Manning, Brady, Rivers, even Romo and Eli to a degree. We don't have that, at least yet, that's why we need a dominant defense to be successful.

11. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

Tony Homo isn't much of a franchise QB, but I digress

12. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I say the Jets play fuckin hardball with Mevi$ and call his agent with their absolute final offer and tell that bitch,"either your client signs this or he sits his ass on the couch for the next 3 years watching his career go from All-Pro to has been".

13. biggundewayne63

biggundewayne63 Active Member

how different would your life really be if you had 160 million vs 120 million?

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The best thing the Jets can do right now is to just stand fast in silence. Pick a standard line to use when dealing with questions about the situation and have that be the only thing that comes out of the organization's lips until a resolution is reached.

The first few games will tinge the situation somewhat, however unless the failures are on the defensive side of the ball - which is unlikely in a Rex Ryan/Mike Pettine defense - the Jets should just keep moving forward.

There will come a point at which Revis really has to ask himself exactly what he is gaining out of the holdout, not what the Jets are losing but what he himself is gaining, that point will likely lead to a decision to return to the team and start the clock again.

If the Jets actually had a miserable season with some of the blame on the defensive side of the ball it would not increase Revis's leverage or make the Jets more inclined to give him what he wants, likely quite the contrary. Right now Revis is angry, I don't think it would be good for his football future for the Jets to join him in that state.

15. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

+1

right on the money, Br4d.

16. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

If so, I would never trade him then. Let him ruin his career and sit out. Treat it as if he had a serious injury. I wouldn't let him play anywhere but New York.

17. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Largely agree.
    I wonder if he was to return, what kind of player we would get, a totally focused one, or one thats distracted with a chip on his shoulder.
    The other thing is that should he NOT get the deal he wants, which is unlikely now, what happens to his agents? Hopefully he fires their a$$es .

18. Glenn Pascullo

Glenn Pascullo New Member

MEVIS needs to honor his contract and see what the JETS have to offer him. It's a contract plain and simple. FUCKIN MEVIS needs to get that through his head and get good advice from people not trying to retire on this deal. If Tannenbaum and Rex told him he should be the highest paid corner in the league I would be very surprised. That was a mistake. None the less-he can't be the highest paid corner right now. GET TO PRACTICE MEVIS. Maybe Tanny will still be willing to renegotiate your CONTRACT!

19. 624

624 Banned

I can't believe how 11k+ posts into this thread 90% of people still don't understand an NFL contract.

20. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Angry

If Revis is angry it's only because he is being fed agent speak. They don't respect you etc. He will be fine when he gets with his teammates and has a chance to interact with them and the coaches. The agents probably worry that if he leaves the bubble he will get a different perspective.
    Sicily is beautiful. Last time I was there I checked into a hotel and there was a piano player outside my window playing the theme from the Godfather. True story.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.