The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JFToLong

JFToLong Banned

exactly!!!!

2. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Say we do end up being forced to trade Revis, hopefully to a crappy NFC team.

How soon after will he realize that he was built to be in Rex's defense? The Raiders are now copying the style Rex used and letting Aso just follow the number 1 WR around the field, not just stick the the right side.

That allows them both to furiously study game film on that 1 receiver and the know who they'll be covering as soon as the schedule is released.

Not only that, the pressures that Rex designed around Revis being able to stick with them (for a certain amount of time) aren't so easily replicated.

If all Revis cares about is money then he'll be fine, but he can most likely kiss the HOF goodbye.

3. Nacho Sanchez

Nacho Sanchez New Member

The Cole article seems like a last ditch effort by Revis camp to get top dollar before opening day

4. Nacho Sanchez

Nacho Sanchez New Member

When i read this all i could think about is Tom Cruise as Les Grossman in Tropic Thunder. "We don't negotiate with terrorists" haha

5. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

bingo.bango.bongo.

6. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Revis won't be traded unless someone offers the Jets a package that makes the Saints trade for Ricky Williams look like a minor deal.

Also, if Revis goes elsewhere he would be highly successful elsewhere. His body control, speed, instincts, and study habits will result in him being top 3 for most of his career as long as he never gets hurt.

7. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Seems like these 2 sides need to get in a room w/a strong mediator. This s/b a done deal. this type of a holdout isn't just bad for revis and the jets, its a negative for the league. they need to build in a mandatory dispute resolution process with stricter regulations to force players and teams to reach agreements and avoid prolonged holdouts.

absent any of the above, presumably the Jets have made a fair offer and presumably revis is still off in the clouds. thus the jets should refuse to trade him unless they receive bona fide comparable talent - not a draft pick. nobody is likely to offer that and so the merry go round keeps spinnnig. Ultimately it will all mean that revis may not play this season or next season if he refuses to negotiate in good faith.

8. JFToLong

JFToLong Banned

I pretty much agree with this, except for the fact that after this whole incident, how motivated he will be if he gets his 10/165 with 65m+ guaranteed. I think he will always be good, but I think he is so money motivated, that I am not sure we will see that level of play again IF he gets his $$

9. ajetsfan4ever

ajetsfan4ever Active Member

I am really close to saying FUCK REVIS, and about ready to move on.

maybe we drafted k.wilson cause we knew this might happen w/revis?

either way, theres not any player worth 162 million over 10 years.

except maybe p.manning.

10. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

Actually...we drafted K.Wilson because we were lucky enough that he fell to us....he shouldn't have been there @ 29.

11. 34miami23

34miami23 Active Member

We got Ricky for a conditional 2nd round pick that ended up turning into a 1st round because he rushed for over 1,500 yards. I think it was also the second round pick in 03, but it's not as much as you think.

If the Jets were going to trade Revis, it would have to be for another elite player, or a multitude of draft picks.

12. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

SO why wasn't he considered a top CB under Mangini?

13. xxedge72x

You must have missed the part about the Saints trading for Ricky... as in when he was drafted and they gave up almost their entire draft for him.

14. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

A number of posters are talking about a trade. I don't see that happening for a number of reasons.

Perhaps the most esoteric and speculative, as I concede it is, is that while I don't believe the league is a conspiracy with collusion widespread on contract negotiations, there is a certain common interest among teams and owners to not letting players profit too much from this sort of thing. That alone would not prevent all owners from wanting to do a deal with Revis, but of course there are other factors, with this one being perhaps enough to be a factor as well.

More practical a problem is that any owner has to wonder what they would have to do to get Revis to play for them. Meaning in turn what do they have to sign him for and what do they have to give to the Jets in a trade. In any situation of this sort that calculation has to take both those costs into account. And here's the problem - the numbers just don't add up. We seem to have the info that Revis wants @$16 mil a season. Most here and I would agree think that's too high, particularly for someone with three years remaining on his contract. But even if someone else was willing to pay that, what in addition would they give the Jets in a trade? Really anything above that makes the cost prohibitive.

Draft picks have value, and so do the contracts to players who perform.

Given the high number that another team would have to pay Revis, and correspondingly the impact that has driving down what they would be willling to offer in a trade, what trade offer would be enough to make the Jets do that deal? A fourth? I don't see that. A third? Not that either. People here talk about multiple first round picks - stop with the silliness. No one is going to add that on top of $16 mil a year to get Revis on their team. No one.

Going back to the first point, I have to wonder whether the Jet FO and maybe Woody are getting encouraged to not buckle by other teams and owners. I am sure the league itself is concerned as well. How one should quantify that, i don't know. But it's not like there's anyone out there saying the Jets are crazy not to give Revis what he wants. Remember, the league is facing contract negotiations with the players union. You think the league wants to see a team buckle under to a holdout in these circumstances on the eve of those negotiations? Again, this is a difficult factor to quantify, but I think it goes into the mix.

But even if one limits the analysis to quantifying the market cost to another team that might want to trade for Revis, I don't see that happening.

In other words, either the Jets and Revis find their way to cut a deal, or he holds out.

And I still think Revis and his agents are banking on a slow start for the Jets increasing their leverage. And the Jets are thinking they are competitive without Revis.

Add that all up, and it looks more and more like no deal until somewhere after the second game, maybe the fourth game, if that. And there's a significant chance Revis sits the year.

15. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

bring on the ditka!11!!

16. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

He's a fish fan, you have to allow for the brain damage when evaluating posts.

17. xxedge72x

Perhaps because he was a rookie and still developing? Players aren't born elite, they are developed.

18. xxedge72x

LOL you are right, you have to be patient with fans of the gay sharks.

19. JFToLong

JFToLong Banned

Yup, I feel exactly the same way.

Shame too, he was on his way to becoming one of the all time favorite Jets.

20. 34miami23

34miami23 Active Member

wow my bad ... just woke up lol. that's pretty sad I didn't realize it was THAT trade.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.