The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nyy486

nyy486 New Member

OH MY GOD I never thought I'd see the day. I check this thread for some laughs at the mindless Revis bashers, and see....gasp...intellectual, thought out, reasonable posts. Thank you Ignatius, Cato, and whoever I missed, for restoring my faith in humanity, and more specifically, the Jets fan base, that they can actually put together a thought without spewing mindless rage words.

2. davecrazy

davecrazy Active Member

Rex could of praised him as a player and motivated him without slurping him like a 5 dollar Thai hooker.

If your boss is calling you the greatest and most important employee in the whole business you'd expect to be paid like it.

The only leverage NFL players have is holding out. If he showed up and played then the Jets would have no motivation to work on his contract. Why would they pay him more if he's showing up anyways?

And then god forbid he gets hurt and he's doubly fucked because the opportunity to earn more is totally gone.

3. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

Yea, those guys Mangold and DBrick really missed out.

4. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

No I wouldn't I would take it for what it is, a bit of motivational flattery.

5. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

This is going to come as a major revelation to several posters on this board. Counseling may be required.

6. kid_b

kid_b New Member

I guess if I'm just looking at this through my life's lense, it makes me wanna ask.. seriously?? My boss frequently tells me how much he appreciates the work I put in and how I'm the best worker he has, but it never suffices for the fact that I deserve a raise. It almost feels like a cheap, manipulative way to keep me around by trying to suck up to me.

However, it's worth noting, I still go to work everyday cuz I gotta pay bills like the rest of us..

7. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Yes, really. Like most workers I get an annual appraisal in which your bosses (hopefully) tell you what a great job you are doing, how much they appreciate your efforts etc etc but I would never walk out the room thinking "wow, I am awesome, I am going to demand the highest salary ever seen for my position even though its three years to my next scheduled pay review and if they dont pay me then I am not going to come into work"

Clearly my job is very different to that of an NFL player so you are not comparing like for like, but I cant believe that revis would take some positive encouragement from his coach (the person employed to motivate him) and use that as the basis for demanding a ridiculous pay increase.

If that was really the case then going forward no coach will dare say anything more than:

"Hey kid, you showed some satisfactory levels of hussle out there, that was an average catch for a player of your level of seniority and pay scale, you are certainly meeting but not exceeding my expecations for you"

8. kid_b

kid_b New Member

It's really more than some type of 'annual appraisal' here and to try to nudge it off as otherwise is just utterly asinine. The man was the best god damn CB in the league. He basically had a historic season. He carried our secondary as far as he could in the playoffs (two crucial INT's) until we met Peyton Manning. To relate it on a personal level, imagine you work 3 years at a job for the initial wage you had signed up for, all while your boss/managers give you fellatio about what you have accomplished/exceeded all their expectations and how you are the best they have but at the same time refusing to give you more than even the second best of your co-workers (which Revis doesn't even earn, BTW!), I'd like to see how long you stay with your current employer. It's just a hilarious argument. "Yes, I make less than Drew Coleman & Ihedigbo, thank you very much sir, in a few years I hope to make as much!"

#10168 kid_b, Sep 2, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  9. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Maybe we are discussing/looking at different points?

Many posters were essentially saying that it was Ryan's fault that Revis was demanding to be the highest paid DB in football because he had publicly said that he thought Revis was the best DB in football - my point was that this was pretty ridiculous because its the coaches job to go out and talk his players up and that no-one should take such encouragements/statements to heart. All coaches, esp Ryan, engage in hyperbole when it comes to their own players.

Now, I believe he is (probably) the best DB in football and he clearly believes the same, but to say that his stance is due to or based on Ryan's comments is (IMHO) daft. I am not saying you are saying that, just that it is a point that has been made.

edit: to summarise - if I was going to look for a raise it would be because I thought I was due one, and not because of any praise my boss had or had not showered upon me.

#10169 JetsUK, Sep 2, 2010
  10. kid_b

kid_b New Member

Haha, my bad man, this feels like a bad misinterpretation now on my part. :beer:, I'm a lil drunk tonight. I think I tried to apply this situation to the real world too much (and I'm not convinced that's what davecrazy meant at all now). Maybe it's not quite a bad point I made, just not relevant right now.

Edit: It's also worth mentioning I've decided to hire Feinsod and Schwartz to renegotiate my wages at my shitty day job and hold out for better pay. Work your magic boys, I'll probably be homeless for a few months. :smile:

#10170 kid_b, Sep 2, 2010
  11. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

No problem, I wasnt very clear in my post(s), its the problem when you quote someone but the point you make isnt really the point they made, its an issue with the quoting function on this board where it just picks up the last post and not the whole of the post (understandable thoerwise the threads would be even longer)

:}

12. Jerseyboyisback

Jerseyboyisback New Member

That has nothing to do with revis!! I am going to all of the games when I am here and when Im at college my family is taking them.

I was saying sell cause they looked like SHIT all preseason!!

13. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

Suckup... nobody likes a brown noser... :smile:

14. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

I was saying something similar thousands of posts ago. A situation like this could make coaches and front offices think twice before levying praise in the open.

15. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

Thats if we signed him to a 5 year deal. Trade him after the 4th year is up. He would be 29 by then, and the Jets would probably be able to still get something good for him.

16. ajetsfan4ever

ajetsfan4ever Active Member

did anyone else read between the lines on hard knocks last night?

looks like a revis deal should be done soon.

17. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Care to explain what you are referring to?

18. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

You do what preseason is right? There is a reason why there is a preseason, it's mostly to fine tune the things that need practice, evaluate the rookies as well as seeing who will make the cut.

I personally think the Vets should have an option not to play, but if we go to a 18 game season they will most likely be out anyway.

19. eyedea

eyedea Active Member

Revis is hoping the Jets will shit it up the 1st few weeks, that way the Jets will give in. If the Jets play well, then it changes the game and Revis hits the panic button. Sorry kids, hes not going to sign, and if he does its going to be after the first few games of the season.

20. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

I think the team is setting up so that if/when it happens they're ready financially... but that's just the sensible thing to do (one would expect Revis signs before the season opener).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.