The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

I highly doubt Revis is going anywhere anytime soon. Its just a matter of whether he's a happy elite CB for the Jets or an unhappy elite CB for the Jets. I'm sure something will get worked out. Just a matter of which side is happier in the end.

2. Jetsfan711

Jetsfan711 New Member

@ NDmick difficult deals get done all the time (see P. Willis & C. Johnson) IF both sides are realisitic & are negotiating in good faith. In this situation, IN MY OPINION, one side is doing neither....and it's not the Jets. But hey, I'm more than happy to let him sit out all year & get traded to someone who will pay him what he wants....say the Raiders? LOL Then he'll really see what an island he is. Sans this TEAM of talented players & being in NYC, Revis wouldn't even be close to being the player he believes he is.

3. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

There, Mr E can take a break for one of them.

4. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

Revis did not report

He's stuck in traffic right now. I can see him he's only two cars ahead of me... It's been bumper to bumper for hours.

5. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Not in the uncapped year. If he holds out beyond August 10th he loses a year.

A short term deal will not be the ridiculous Aso money he is demanding, I would bet money on it.

6. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

In any job in any part of the world, if your the best at what you do, you can pretty much command what you like in fees or wages from an employer.
    The problem is, his (Revis) employer is the Jets, and to a point, their employer is the NFL, so I find it a little bit hard to understand why Revis' agent/advisor's can't see that theres only so much that can be offered.
    If Revis goes elsewhere, via a trade hes going to soon bump into the same obstacles .
    I read how Wilson is so happy with his millionaire remark, it doesn't seem to take long before how much players think they are really worth to kick in, sadly.

7. WhiteShoeWillis

or, because the Jets hold all the cards, he either plays or holds outs and looses all that fine money and a year of eligibility.

8. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

How quickly times have changed.. remember when the tune of the board was along the lines of this post?

http://forums.theganggreen.com/showpost.php?p=1487431&postcount=17

That was only 8 months ago.

9. WhiteShoeWillis

I disagree with the entire premise of this post. It is simply not true that the best at any job can command whatever they like in fees or wages from an employer.

Every position has it's max price based on value to the employer, regardless of how good the person filling that position is at what they do. Employers cannot just pay someone more than their position is worth. That does not make any sense.

Do you think the best cashier in the world can go to their employer and demand $200,000 a year? No, because no matter how great they may be at ringing people up the value they add by doing that is not more that the $200,000 they are demanding. Similarly, the CB position in the NFL has a max value. No matter how great Revis is, he cannot tell Tannenbaum he needs to make $30 MM a year because he's the best. The salary cap and lack of CBA further complicates things.

10. onefanjet

onefanjet Well-Known Member

This is bad, very bad..........

11. Scoffaveli3

Scoffaveli3 Banned

You're exaggerating

If there is another guy on another team at the same position(Aso) that is making more than a guy that is the best(Revis) then that guy can demand to be paid higher than him especially if the teams short term super bowl plans run through him

If they didn't the Jets would have said fuck you a long time ago

12. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

You disagree, that fine, but you over simplify it.
    We are talking about a very narrow margin of athletes that make it to the top of their sport and play in the NFL, and an even narrower margin that become great, or on their way to greatness.
    I agree though that he cannot demand a wage of $_______ from Mike T because hes the best, and thinks thats what hes worth, because on the other side of the country someone asked for an absurd amount of money and got it. Someone needs a dose of reality here.

13. WhiteShoeWillis

If a contract by Al Davis is the dose of reality I need, then you can keep it. People are stuck on a crazy contract by a crazy old man. That shit isn't going to happen people.

They told him they were willing to give him a reasonable long term deal. I'm sure the scope of reasonable does not include Al Davis' insanity.

edit:
    and both of you are funny. You say I'm over simplifying and exaggerating, but the post I responded to made a very general broad sweeping claim that was easily disputed. If you want to make a smaller claim, go ahead, but don't much such a ridiculous claim and then tell me I'm over simplifying or exaggerating when I dispute it. It seems to me that the OP was the oversimplified, exaggerated post.

14. One thing this points to is that currently Revis is NOT a team player.One of the most anticipated seasons for a historic, nationally followed franchise and he's more concentrated on his contract which still has 3 years on it and was considered generous when he signed it 3 years ago.

With all the talk he's doing in his corner, when he DOES get his extension(which I believe he will), he better wear being a new york jet all over him. He better be a leader on and off the field,and be better play up to his contract. The front office and this fan base will not be forgiving if he doesn't live up to his words and arrogance.

15. ........

........ Trolls

I could be wrong, but I think Gus was saying that Revis' camp needs a dose of reality if they're using Asomugha's contract as a benchmark.

16. WhiteShoeWillis

maybe I misunderstood.

17. ........

........ Trolls

While I agree it's frustrating, I'm not sure I'd take it that far. I've met plenty of players who don't have a clue about the money aspect. They do as they're told in that regard by their representation. Let's see if and for how long he holds out, and what he actually signs for.

I agree, though, that he needs to be 100% demonstrably committed once he's back in the fold.

18. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Is there any doubt that that would be the case?

Just because he's holding out for money doesn't mean he isn't committed. He hasn't made one statement that he wants to leave the team. Not one comment about being traded, not one comment about finishing out somewhere else.

He wants to stay with the Jets. He loves Rex Ryan and he loves Rex Ryan's defense. He just wants to get paid what he is worth which, frankly, is a sentiment that I agree with on this one. $1million for Revis this season is ridiculous to the point of being insulting. This was a deal that was written with the understanding that it would be redone later.

They're stumbling on the terms right now.

19. Benny Bing

Benny Bing New Member

The Jets should just call his bluff and deny him the right to play if he doesn't agree to their contract terms. Revis will be forced to decide how he wants to be remembered, as a great team guy, or as a money player.

20. ........

........ Trolls

That's why I used the word demonstrably. He hasn't made any comments about wanting to leave the team, and I truly believe he wants to be here. However, this is an unforgiving fan base, and for a lot of people, he'll need to very obviously demonstrate his commitment. It's sad but true. If it weren't, we wouldn't have comments like Kurt's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.