The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

Dude we're pretty close to cap hell next year already. Play to win it now

2. Nacho Sanchez

Nacho Sanchez New Member

dead on...what happens when Randy Moss and Welker step on the field? What happens when Favre comes back to Meadowlands? Also this year you have to deal with Jennings(GB) Johnson(DET) Johnson (HOU) Ochocino & T.O. We play way to many good receiving teams this year and Qb's like Rodgers and Schaub and Brady could shred this secondary with no Revis

3. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Umm, no.

I had it correct above. The 1993 49ers went 10-6. They added Sanders and then went 13-3.

4. JetDynasty

JetDynasty Active Member

Thanks bro...you know what that spells right? 8-8 record. The offenses performance during the preseason has been terrible and I expect it to only be mediocre during the regular season to be honest...Revis not only improves the defense but he improves the offense as well...teams will score less points with revis on the field, putting less stress on our offense to put up points.

5. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Again, not sure if this worth it but..

Graziano twitter:

This "NYJET_Prime" pointed out that Wilson was playing nickle and shit

6. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

I think that was Fudgepacker Prime.

7. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I was going to list a few more earlier, but had to do some chores first. Now I have some more time.
    Okay, well, there are a few more than just Deion Sanders.

In 1967, the Oakland Raiders traded for Willie Brown from Denver. Prior to the addition of Brown, the Raiders had gone 6-8, 2-12, 1-13, 10-4, 5-7-2, 8-5-1, and 8-5-1.
    After adding Brown, the team went 13-1 and reached the Super Bowl. Ron Wolf said that Brown and Ted Hendricks are the two best Raiders defenders of all-time.

Of course, the Raiders lost that Super Bowl to Green Bay. However, the addition of Brown was huge for them and could be looked at as one of the key reasons why the team went from a non-playoff team with a record of 8-5-1 to a Super Bowl team with a regular season record of 13-1.

Mike Haynes was acquired by the L.A. Raiders in November 1983. The Raiders were 8-3 without Haynes. Including the postseason, they went 7-1 with him. We can say they were very good without him but were great with him. Without Haynes the team allowed 22.2 points per game. With Haynes the team allowed 15.9 points per game.

Washington general manager Bobby Beathard had this to say about the Raiders cornerback tandem:
    "I'll tell you what the real difference was in (Super Bowl 18). Mike Haynes and Lester Hayes were the two best corners in the league that year, and we couldn't get off the line of scrimmage. We had never played against someone like that. They changed our whole game plan.

Everybody knew how important corners were, but I think those kind of guys changed the game. They were big, physical corners who could run. Those are two of the best that ever played the game. Those are still what prototype corners look like."

The "Next Year's Champions" Dallas teams lost in the postseason to Green Bay in 1966 and 1967 and to Cleveland in 1968 and 1969.
    Then they acquired Herb Adderley prior to the 1970 season and then proceeded to go to the Super Bowl. They lost that Super Bowl to Baltimore, but went back and won the Super Bowl the following year. In Super Bowl 6, de facto defensive coordinator Ernie Stautner put Adderley on Howard Twilley. Adderley shut him down (Twilley only caught one pass). This enabled Cornell Green and Mel Renfro to double cover Paul Warfield.

In conclusion, between Brown, Adderley, Haynes, and Sanders there are at least four cases in the Super Bowl era where a cornerback was acquired and made a huge contribution to a Super Bowl team.

8. mute

mute Well-Known Member

Again, we barely made it with Revis on the field last year. With him there, Manning also picked us apart as if we had nobody defending. This team has improved throughout this off season and looking at the preseason games, im sure the defense will do just fine without Revis. Its the offense that will seal the JETS faith.

9. JetDynasty

JetDynasty Active Member

Yes, but we had NO #2 corner....with revis in the lineup plus cromartie and kyle wilson...i dont care who the qb is...as great as manning is...even he would have a hard time throwing on that secondary...having those 3 in the lineup opens up the blitz packages because u dont ever need to worry about double coverage wherever revis is....#1 defense last year will be #15 this year without revis...mark my words

10. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

[​IMG] August 28, 2010: Cowlishaw's Last Stand

11. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

I continue to be fascinated with the divergence of "reports" that have leaked on the Revis holdout. I will say this, I think it was a VERY big clue to see Wison playing in the slot last night. Very big.

12. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Yeah considering that the 3rd preseason game is really a warm up for the regular season I think it's pretty telling that we saw Wilson in the nickel CB spot. Also, Cro played some RCB

13. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

I feel he is worth that much now. What Revis does is shut down one side of the field. It gives us more time for the pass rushers to get to the QB.

Its not like we are paying lots for pass rushers. Revis improves our pass rush greatly.

14. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

I think we may be looking too much into it. He's been playing man the last two preseason games. As much as the Jets needed to prepare for a season of no Revis, they also have to prepare for his return.

15. slimjasi

Excellent post.

And the thing is, Revis is EVEN MORE crucial to our success than a typical dominant cover corner would be to a contending team. Why? Because the crux of our defensive system is to throw the kitchen sink at the opposing quarterback and make him get rid of the ball before he is ready to, and hence, force him into mistakes. That only works if you can usually shut down his number 1 target on any given play. If you can't take away his safety blanket when you blitz, you will give up a plethora of big plays. Now, many times when team blitz, they have to account for the other team's number one receiver by double teaming him. Because we are blessed with Revis, we NEVER have to double team Randy Moss, Larry Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson, Steve Smith, etc, etc. This gives us an extra rusher on almost every passing play, when compared to the rest of the defenses in the NFL. This is simply an enormous advantage.

16. slimjasi

Possibly, but I tend to think that, by now, they have a good feeling of whether or not they are going to be able to get Revis back in time for the start of the season. Our opening game is only two weeks away and I think it can only be looked upon as a positive that the Jets chose the "dress-rehearsal" game to play Wilson predominantly in the slot.

17. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Unless they are working on a trade that would let Wilson play slot,,Tannenbaum said he would make a trade if they didn't think Revis would be back,

Maybe they can trade Gholston for Aso (j/k) but that would be sick funny if they did.

18. maynardsmyhero-uk

maynardsmyhero-uk Well-Known Member

I see us making a trade for a cb using Clemens in the mix somewhere plus a low rnd pick

19. ........

........ Trolls

The Darrelle Revis Holdout Thread (Revis Tweets w/Whore)

Jason Cole from Yahoo! was just on Sirius NFL while I was in the car. He's close with Revis/Jackson's agents, so Vic Carrucci asked him about the situation.

He said he couldn't say much, but then launched into a pretty decent take. He placed some definite blame on Sean Gilbert, but he also said that the holdout wasn't considered until the contract conversation broached by Tanny and Woody. Possibly some spin, and he immediately said that he's not placing blame on either side, but he said without that conversation, Revis would likely be in camp. I'm not sure I agree, but interesting.

Further, he said if Revis does hold out this full season, he'll never wear a Jets uniform again. It's been mentioned on here obviously, but that's apparently Revis's thinking.

He also said that there is a problem with the actual guaranteed money, which means either they've progressed to that stage or we were lied to about the real conflict. The problem is, even if Woody defers guaranteed money, the full amount has to be put into escrow with the NFL and Woody has balked at that.

Given the blackout, I'm surprised by how much he actually said, but I suppose it's possible they're at a point at which they're willing to relax that a bit.

Let's hope something gets done, and soon.

PS. Skins fan on the phone now with a crush on the new stadium.

20. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

The Jets gave up almost 3 times as many points in last year's preseason than this year. These games mean nothing. Brilliant observation to say pay the man. Let's ruin the team for years by killing the pay structure for one greedy player when the team is primed for a multi-year run and not a one year run. Do you really think Sanchez is ready to lead this team to a title in his second season???? How often has that happened. This team is geared to winning a SB in 2011-2014. Why ruin that by overpaying one player by $40 million ???? Are you really an S&F employee? Come on. Own up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.