The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

Well, that sucks. Thanks for that info. Can Tanny find a loop hole? doesn't sound like it, but if there is a way.... Tanny would find it.

Now... I'd love to know what Mevi$ is saying and thinking. maybe he'll call his agents and say... hey, they just gave my money to Mangold! That was 'posed to be "mygold"!

I think I need a beer and a pizza now. Is lousy Domino's still open?

2. ........

........ Trolls

I think he tried. His agent recently mentioned that he and Tanny had discussed a contract but it wasn't something that he and Harris were comfortable with. In all likelihood, Tanny proposed a contract filled with completion bonuses to subvert the 30% rule. It would have been an ugly contract, and one that they probably would have been forced to rework at some point under a new CBA. Harris is smart to wait until after the season and Tanny is smart to at least approach him and make it clear that they're committed to signing him.

They could, however, try to make a deal with Edwards or Holmes in order to show Revis that they're trying to continue moving forward. Let him know his offer is diminishing simply because of how committed the team is to players currently competing in camp.

3. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

But they can probably give Harris a sizable signing bonus to get around the cap and not have to worry about him ever sitting out in the future.

4. magic77

magic77 New Member

They could do a large signing bonus, but thats not typical of the Jets. And giving out a large signing bonus up front can often lead to the Revis type situations. Where you had a lot of money up front and now are technically only on contract for 1 million and think your contract should be higher. When in fact it is, because you were paid up front with the bonus.

5. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

So is this thing dead now? Wed still a possibility?

6. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

It's not dead until it's Thursday and there's no sign of Revis.

7. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

This thread is certainly alive and kicking.

8. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

and it's so not going anywhere

9. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

As of now TC has not taken back his post or his column in the Dallas News so I have to guess he has heard no new news to change his original report. He also said it was probable by tomorrow but sure by the weekend

10. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

He said that Wednesday made more sense than Saturday based on the circumstances. The only thing I could think of is a.) Hard Knocks or b.) The dress rehersal Preseason game on Friday.

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'm wondering if the Jets could do something like this if they really wanted to:

A 2 year deal with a $10 million signing bonus and base salaries at the statutory maximums under the 30% rule. Included is a club or player (either side can exercise the option) to extend the contract for 4 years and $24 million at the expiration of the current contract. The day after the option is exercised by either side if Harris is on the roster the Jets have to pay him a $6 million roster bonus.

So Harris winds up with $10 million immediately to give him some form of guarantee against a career ending or limiting injury this year. He gets a deal where if he is still healthy and on the roster in 2 seasons he has gotten $16 million in bonuses and is extended into the future at a good salary. The Jets wind up with Harris under contract through 2011 or 2015 at an acceptable maximum cost of 6 years and $40 million, which would be just $11+ million if Harris wiped out this season or next since if Harris was not on the roster at the option date he would not collect the roster bonus and his extended contract would be effectively valueless.

The deal would likely pass muster by the NFL under the current CBA because there are no guarantees moving forward.

12. JFToLong

JFToLong Banned

Maybe revision should give Manhood a call.....

Ask him for his agents phone number.

13. Don

I suppose you can read these comments any way you want but I wonder if there are a number of players pissed at Revis.

"Earlier on Monday, Mangold said he had discussed the contract situation with Revis, who will make roughly $1 million if he plays this season under his current deal. But he didn't think it was ultimately fruitful on anything but a personal level.

"We talked," Mangold said. "I would say being in the same situation I didn't feel that we should be taking advice from each other."

""[Holding out] didn't fit my personality," Mangold said. "It's not me, it's not who I am, and it's not what I do.""

""He treated it like a professional," said fellow lineman Brandon Moore. "He could've easily made a stink about it, did some things here even when he was here. You wouldn't have known. A lot of guys didn't even know it was an issue. I think that's a testament of how professional he is, able to put that aside, and just come to work."

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5490830

14. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

This is like PFT Florio digging for trouble.

15. jmclaw

jmclaw New Member

I was optimistic at first about TC's report, however, I now believe there is no chance of him being correct. All of the big national writers, (King, schefter et al) basically dont even discuss this as a posssibility when talking about Revis. Schefter was on sportscenter last night, and it was as if the report did not even exist. The fact that TC hasnt been all over ESPN, doing interviews, means that Schefter and Mort have 100% confirmation that this deal is not happening. If there was even a chance of it being correct, ESPN would be whoring him out all day and night on Sportscenter, considering he is an ESPN employee

16. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Rex Ryan when asked whether there were other contract negotiations happening this week (Revis):

"That'd be news to me," Ryan said

17. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Confirmation from who? The sides that aren't speaking with the media?

TC's source would be a source that these guys would not think of, at leasts that's my opinion on it.

18. ........

........ Trolls

The Darrelle Revis Holdout Thread (continued) (Cowlishaw twitter rumored deal done)

There's no way Tanny does a signing bonus of 80+% of the contract.

19. ........

........ Trolls

The Darrelle Revis Holdout Thread (continued) (Cowlishaw twitter rumored deal done)

I don't think it would pass. The option kick in would be treated as likely to be earned money and violate the 30% rule. Again, they're better of just waiting.

20. Don

I thought I read LTBE and NLTBE are gone this year with the no cap. Pretty sure of that.

Here:
    First you must understand that there are two types of incentives that can be included in a player's contract: LTBE incentives and NLTBE incentives. LBTE stands for "likely to be earned." I'm going out on a limb and guessing you can figure out what NLBTE thus stands for. Here's the important part: All LTBE incentives are counted against the cap, as if they had already occurred when the contract is signed.

So if all LTBE are counted against the cap immediately and there is no cap then they really don't matter.

http://www.buccaneers.com/news/arti...olume-13/663166e7-87cb-41e8-add6-31f0019e65a7

#5580 Don, Aug 24, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.