The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TexasJetFan

TexasJetFan New Member

2. ihatethedolphins3

ihatethedolphins3 New Member

if i were a gambling man this is what id bet on, smart thinking

3. ........

........ Trolls

The Darrelle Revis Holdout Thread (continued) (Cowlishaw twitter rumored deal done)

When they take it? I'd bet at least one of the three, and probably all 3, are willing to take their chances on outplaying that deal with free agency looming.

4. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

I love how everyone who leaves comments on Florio's site absolutely despises him.

5. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Yeah. the 'It will be concidental' verbiage pretty much confirms the 'I wish I had scooped this' angle

6. ........

........ Trolls

The Darrelle Revis Holdout Thread (continued) (Cowlishaw twitter rumored deal done)

He doesn't care as long as they keep coming back.

7. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

Florio is an idiot, and he sucks balls, but his article does have a little bit of a point here. Cowlishaw is setting himself up with excuses if he's wrong. I don't blame him.

8. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Coming from another pro, it makes sense. he gains nothing by making this up, and loses everything if he's wrong. (you know what I mean)

He must trust his source that much.

9. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

You can bet your ass if there really is a drop dead date Revis gave his agents and someone leaked it they would be screaming to anyone who would listen that they've made no progress.

10. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

As much as I'd love that happen(said before ever seeing him play a regular season game in green and white), that quote really could mean anything at this point. It could mean he's willing to take less money/a smaller roll, or it could mean that he plans on playing his ass off and earning the #1 contract he thinks he deserves(he does).
    Edwards is likely to be the cheapest of the three, I'm guessing. He also fits the offense's mentality better than Holmes; strong, physical and big. I've said this before and I'll say it until Rex/Schottenheimer prove me wrong but I don't think it matters how great of a QB Sanchez becomes, Rex is going to want to build around a big running game. Edwards helps that out more than Holmes can.
    That's actually what I figured would happen, but I think we're both looking at different results.
    Financially, yes, you probably could. The main reason that I feel that Edwards and Holmes are mutually exclusive choices has more to do with their roles on the team rather than their cost, although the latter does play a part in it.

Assuming that the Jets can afford to keep all seven guys(which is what I was basing my assumption on) - core four and the three big FAs - and stay under whatever cap comes back into existance, the problem becomes where do you find spots for Edwards and Holmes?

1. Vertical offense, Holmes and Edwards on the field at the same time: Doesn't really fit the playbook. We'd have to switch to something more along the lines of Arizona's offense which would be taking our own OC out of his element.

2. Base three WR sets, Holmes, Edwards and Cotchery on the field:
    Probably the most feasible solution. The NFL seems to be heading toward more spread formations and away from the traditional I-Form game. This wold most likely hurt Keller more than anyone, though.

3. Rotate the #1s, Cotchery stays on the field:
    (NOTE:#1 WR here reflects more on the use of the WR than depth chart position )It could happen but I really don't see it. The diminished role in the offense would also include a diminished pay for both Holmes and Edwards. There's no reason for the Jets to offer them true #1 money if they're not playing a true #1 workload during the game.

4. Holmes as the slot WR:
    Not going to happen. Too much of a pay cut. Too big of a demotion. Holmes is a former SB MVP and a former #1 WR. His current predicament is the reason that he's forced to accept a diminished role(rightfully so) but if he shows what he is capable of this season, he's going to be fielding a lot of offers from a lot of teams. Edwards playing to the best of his abilities would only complicate this situation.

11. ........

........ Trolls

Excellent writeup.

12. Hobbes3259

Edwards isn't getting too much more than that if any. Look at the body of work.

Cro...Maybe...Maybe not..but today cash in the bank would be looking pretty good to him.

Holmes is the most problematic......Then again, the deeper issues (who may be drafting where, who is coming out, individual teams cap situations etc...) are hard to get to.

Holmes and Edwards have two common problems, where negotiating with them today helps.

They are competing for the same dollars in the future, but also (NOW) the same balls.
    (as well as negative raps)

At the end of the day, as I said..you can find enough cash for two..but getting there early, might enable you to keep all three.

(hey..it's a long shot...but sometimes you have to hoist up that three pointer....How good would Tanny look if he came out in the next presser and said...'When we hit an impasse with Revis' agents, we approached Holmes, Cro, and Edwards, and offered them a combined 80 million over 5 years, and have retained all three. The New York Jets will allow Darelle Revis to play out his rookie contract before we consider using the Franchise tag to retain his services')

That's the wet dream scenario...

13. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

I think it'll all depend on how our offense does in 2010. If we move to a more aerial attack and rely less on the running game, then I can see Holmes having a place here. If Greene/LT rush for more than 1,500 yards and we end up winning a lot of games on the ground, then he's expendable.

14. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Why would HBO care at all about the third of five episodes for hard knocks? Maybe they plan on 4000 more commercials for Boardwalk Empire because that's the only thing they will make money on..certainly not hard knocks. Do you think 12 million more people are on the phone today ordering HBO so they can watch this on Wednesday?

15. CatoTheElder

We're all going to get so mad that we'll only eat kale?

16. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

Florio is an idiot because he is the only media type commenting on this that thoroughly discredits Cowlishaw without reservation. This despite the fact that he knows jack shit. Every other sports guy has admitted that they don't know everything, even if they don't like it. Even Schefter's 95% sure statement is giving himself an out.

17. ........

........ Trolls

It's beyond a long shot, even if you bump them over $5 million per as your combined projection seems to do.

The idea of a collective 24 hours all or nothing offer isn't a wet dream scenario, it's a drug addled fantasy.

Cato nailed it, BTW.

18. Hobbes3259

That defies logic...

How do you think they are going to play games 4-18 now?

You are confusing two issues.

The GM's job is to put as much talent on the field as possible.

The OC? Does not come into that. He needs (as Rex pointed out) the players that are available.

Do I think Schotty is imaginative enough to make it work? maybe not.
    But your Item number 3 is close to the current situation. You need to be 3 wide all the time.

Cotchery is the odd man out. He moves inside and is the 3.

19. CatoTheElder

I really don't see that as being too likely. Our defensive-minded head coach just picked a FB in the last draft because of how hard Rex saw him hit a LB that he was originally scouting on a running play. Rex is always going to want to build around a running game. I don't think we're going to see the Jets' offense look like the Colts', the Cardinals' or the Patriots's current O, regardless of how great Sanchez becomes.

20. tooooon

tooooon Active Member

I'm going to flip out and break things if this article gets posted again. Dont take that the worong way ihatefins...it's not you, it's me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.