The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Way to set NFL Labor back 20 years. Great idea.

2. ........

........ Trolls

3. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I have no problems with how the NYJ brass has handled this situation. Making a bigger-than-you'd-like committment to a player with an uncertain cap/CBA and with three years still on the original deal, which he fuckin held out for, would display poor negotiation skills. They should hammer out an incentive laden deal... They have leverage and should stick to their guns.

4. CatoTheElder

Yes, you explained your paranoia very clearly. It's still ridiculous.

5. CatoTheElder

Anyone know how quickly one can change their name in the state of New Jersey? I would love to live in Atlanta.

6. ........

........ Trolls

I support this idea. Allow me to embrace your new homeland and suggest you git er done.

7. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Good post MP.

I really thought the part Revis couldnt accept is the million this year. Regardless of what the contract has paid him so far and what he will earn next year..this year...1 million.

Thats what I thought. After hearing MT say that he has given Revis two offers...one which would make him a Jet for life...Im figuring the other one was at least to address the million this year. Hopefully Revis has his ass in place by the 10th.

8. 34miami23

34miami23 Active Member

the article I read on foxsports said this:

seeing that all were denied would certainly be frustrating to me.

It's amazing to me how some athletes can just put the money issue in front of everything, particularly the best player on a team that has serious Super Bowl aspirations

9. Cellar-door

Cellar-door Active Member

ESPN reported on sportscenter that the long term deal had NO guaranteed money. Since guaranteed money is what matters in the NFL it's clear the Jets just wanted to be able to say they made an offer and it was rejected in an attempt to gain favor with fans too stupid or ignorant to understand how the business of the NFL works.

10. 34miami23

34miami23 Active Member

ahh that's true, i did not know that about the long term deal

well seeing how it's so known that the offer had no gauranteed money, the FO would seem to have the proverbial egg on face

11. rinvesto

rinvesto Well-Known Member

this is going to get very ugly

12. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Anyone who thinks this is not affecting the locker room is in dreamland, even T-Rich.
    I remember seeing the Jenks interview on NFL network and remember how surprised I was at Jenks's no nonsense attitude.

This bit kind of disappointed me, true or not. For every bad Jets fan, there are 50 good ones.

If this Revis situation starts to spill out and affect others around the team, then the FO and Revis + agent(s) need to thrash this out, face to face, not via twitter or another faceless BS way.

13. 34miami23

34miami23 Active Member

^ yeah the whole thing about Jet fans being happy either way kinda caught me off guard too when I watched that on NFLN

14. AlabamaJet

AlabamaJet New Member

IMO, Holding out is rarely the best way to go. You are hurting yourself and your
    team-mates because we all know the details will get worked out. The vast majority of the time they do anyways!!

15. AlabamaJet

AlabamaJet New Member

This is one reason why i was really hoping the Jets drafted
    Kareem Jackson from Bama! Jackson will be starting for the Texans
    as a rookie and i bet KJ will be one of the top rookies in the league too!!
    Nobody gets College Defensive players ready for the league better than
    Nick Saban...........NOBODY!!

16. 34miami23

34miami23 Active Member

He drafted many SEC players in his first year with the Dolphins that didn't turn out so well:

1st round pick Jason Allen in his 2nd year (pretty much relegated to ST now; getting his annual training camp-torching from our wr group)

Crowder (decent / mediocre, better have a good year or will soon be packing)

Travis Daniels (took him from LSU where he coached him, had 1 decent year as a rookie then flopped)

Ronnie Brown and Crowder are the only 2 that still remain I think

17. Pluvrr

Pluvrr Active Member

Not sure if this was posted yet:

It's official: Darrelle Revis is holding out.

The Daily News first reported Sunday that Revis will not be at Jets camp as he waits for a new deal.

"We waited until the last possible minute with the hope of getting something done," Revis' camp to the Daily News. "Darrelle won't be there."

And it appears he won't be for a while. When asked how long the holdout would last, agent Neil Schwartz replied, "Ask the Jets."

Schwartz also added, "He's hurt. Frustrated. He was extremely disappointed. He was very deliberate with his family weighing everything in his decision."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2010/08/agent-darrelle-wont-be-there.html#ixzz0vRU3D2No

ESPNNewYork.com reporter Rich Cimini is on the scene at SUNY Cortland and has a story about cornerback Darrelle Revis, who didn't check in at New York Jets training camp.

Revis
    Revis
    Revis officially is a holdout, and it sounds like he's prepared to wait a while.

Revis didn't show for his conditioning test at 10 a.m. Sunday, but he wasn't considered a holdout until he failed to attend a 5:30 p.m. mandatory team meeting. The first practice will take place Monday morning.

A league source informed Cimini that Revis is resolute in his desire for a new contract. Revis, known as the NFL's top cover corner, will make $1 million this year

"We were hoping Darrelle wouldn't have to go down this path," agent Neil Schwartz told Cimini. "He and his family were extremely deliberate in this decision making process.

"Darrelle Revis' actions will speak louder than words. And his absence will be deafening."

Revis faces fines of $16,000 each day until he reports. Cimini reported Revis waived a guarantee for $20 million in salaries in 2011 and 2012 by failing to show up on time.

#277 Pluvrr, Aug 2, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  18. Chrebet86

Chrebet86 Active Member

I dont like that hes still stuck on this "Highest paid CB in the NFl" bullshit, Aso doesnt deserve that kind of money and neither does he. Not considering the team that he has around him and the chance to really make a good run at, damnit there has to be a middle ground somewhere with good guranteed money but still short of being ridiculous.

Thats where the Jets need to step up, but if he really is just sticking to his guns untill hes paid higher than Aso then its Ego BS and he should continue to sit.

Untill this "Highest paid in the NFL" Bull came around I thought of him as a humble professional C-mart type, but through all the back and forth smokescreen media crap thats happened im not sure who Revis really is anymore.

Anyway I know that shit has already been said but my point is this...

If Revis "caves" (in his Opinion anyway) and gives into a deal the Jets give him, one that he may not actually be happy about just to end it because the Jets called his bluff, do you think that he still plays all out like the Revis we know? He played like each game he was playing for his life, does he slack off a bit?

#278 Chrebet86, Aug 2, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  19. Danny@ATL

Danny@ATL New Member

It isn't that great.

20. maynardsmyhero-uk

maynardsmyhero-uk Well-Known Member

NFL is heading for a lockout and the crazy contracts and greed in the game are the main reason.

In a worldwide recession you have unproven athletes making $50 million guaranteed and $16-20 million per year the norm. The game is so far away from reality its quite sad.

If this increase in salaries is allowed we will continue to pay for it , it starts at PSL's , what next .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.