The Darnold Dilemma

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsAreBadForYourHealth, Sep 13, 2020.

1. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

The Jets aren't signing big name and expensive free agents because they don't want to tie up their cap for years to come. The best strategy in my opinion (and I think JD's opinion) is to only sign big name/expensive free agents when you are a top team and you want to make the team into a Superbowl contender. The Jets are lacking so much talent that they will need to sign many drafted players and many free agents in the next 2 seasons. They will need the cap space for those signings.

One other thing: the Bills signed Diggs to a team that has strong talent. They want to win the division and compete for the Superbowl. The Jets aren't at that point yet.

2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

32 out of 32 is not great.......

3. JetsAreBadForYourHealth

JetsAreBadForYourHealth Well-Known Member

And here come the pissed off Niners week 2. Gonna be ugly again

4. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Typical Jets: will either be blown out and utterly humiliated or will play an awesome game and lose at the last second.

5. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I disagree. Allen would just run. Mahomes would be good anywhere. He played with no talent at Texas Tech & got himself drafted in the top 10; should have been 6.

6. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Orlovsky on air just said this (ill paraphrase) -

"I just watched every snap of the Jets vs Buffalo game and I need to tell you this. Darnold is going to be an absolute star in this league. I saw one stupid play and 2 bad throws, that is it. He will always have those 1 - 3 bad plays in the game, that's just who he is, but the kid is going to be a star. The coach is the worst in the league and the talent around him is the worst in the league. If they turn it around in New York, he is going to be incredible. "

7. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

this is the same moron who said he would pick Sam over Lamar Jackson TODAY

8. dawinner127

Obviously you never saw the clip or just want to spit out false information.

The conversation is about projecting them in a draft. It has nothing to do with what they have or have not done in the NFL. This was also done 4 months ago. He didn’t say this TODAY

9. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

you post a video of orlovsky saying he would pick sam over lamar and im making shit up lol ... there is nothing that has changed in the last four months that would have lead this guy to come off of his asinine assertion

[​IMG]

10. dawinner127

So because he ran out of the back of the endzone that discredits his opinions as an analyst? Lol.. okay.

They’re projecting over the next 10-15 years. I’ll take the pocket passer over the one who runs around all day.. athleticism runs out, you aren’t always going to be the best athlete Or the fastest player the field. The ravens window will close in 5 years. So far they’re 0-1 with this type of system.

11. SmoothLefty21

SmoothLefty21 Member

He's probably not going to succeed here because he was put in an impossible situation. Not that he doesn't share some of the blame but when you have the unholy trifecta of terrible coaching, a terrible OL, and terrible weapons you are not going to succeed. I have no doubt that if he fell to Baltimore he'd be pretty impressive. He's not Sanchez or Geno Smith. He has all of the tools to be a good starter in this league but he needs some grooming.

I have bad news for everyone: if we're lucky enough to draft Trevor Lawrence he's going to face just as big of an uphill climb. He's not going to come in and set the world on fire unless JD drastically improves the OL and drafts another WR who's ready to play immediately. Yes, Lawrence is a better prospect than Darnold but it may not matter all that much. All of the young QBs who come into this league and have early success have good to great coaches and a competent organization. All of the other guys never get on track or are one-hit wonders (RGIII, Baker, etc). I can tell you that if we drafted Lamar Jackson there is zero chance he'd have an MVP to his name. Guys like Goff or Wentz, who aren't very good, would have never gotten off the ground in Sam's situation. There's plenty of blame to go around to all parties but Darnold is the lesser of the offenders here.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. SmoothLefty21

SmoothLefty21 Member

This is one of the most played out things when it comes to the NFL and social media. All of his tweets have people responding with that gif/clip in an attempt to discredit his opinion. It's sophomoric and plain old stupid. Every time people post it they think they're being funny or original, I guess?

dawinner127 likes this.
  13. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Jesus christ. How delusional can someone be?

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Orlovsky is a shock value guy. He's been saying things for a couple years now to try to get famous and get some premium spot on First Take or something.

Everything he said might be right. Coach could be the worst, Darnold could be the greatest talent ever. But I don't really take anything he says for real, honestly. Never have.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  15. dawinner127

Might be true but His film break Down is one of the best in the business.

Jets81 likes this.
  16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Some more Orlovsky takes.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/saturd...hat-the-best-team-isnt-ohio-state-or-lsu/amp/

https://clutchpoints.com/browns-new...y-calls-cleveland-a-super-bowl-contender/amp/

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/tamu-football/texas-am-clemson-dan-orlovsky-2019/amp/

He also changes his mind on Carson Wentz every week.

He might have good film breakdowns. I'll have to check it out.

17. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

That video was kind hard to watch. I can understand being optimistic about Darnold based on his performance with the worst supporting cast in the league, but even in the context of that scenario, there’s no way he’s #1.

He definitely does great break downs from what I’ve seen on Twitter, but I have to believe you’re right regarding the shock value thing.

18. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Was he watching the same game we all watched? Sam missed so many open guys.

Gase is not a good playcaller by any stretch of the imagination but Sam was the main problem on Sunday. Gase can't stop Sam from missing open receivers and making boneheaded turnovers every game.

19. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I agree that Sam was not as bad as it seems on Sunday. When you make mistakes, then your defense is horrendous, you are instantly down 21-0. Allen also made mistakes, but they are not magnified like Darnold because he has a good team around him. The problem is some of the mistakes Sam made should not be made by a third year QB. That is just a fact. Now there was no pre-season, it is a pandemic, his supporting cast is terrible, his coach seems to be inferior, etc. all of that is true, but Sam still played a bad game. I have watched many Jets QB's play worse (including Sam himself) but it just felt worse because of our expectations. I know some fans had super low expectations, but even they were disappointed on Sunday.

20. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I just need Sam to control what he can control. His feet are atrocious. It’s year 3; he needs to correct that. Furthermore, he has this weird ability to make the hard throws look easy and the easy ones difficult. Fix the latter. Take and make your layups.

All Gas No Shake likes this.