The Darnold Dilemma

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsAreBadForYourHealth, Sep 13, 2020.

1. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I don't know. I think it was a podcast but it could have been an article. I am guessing it was on one of the season preview podcasts this last week but after reading so many Jet articles, listening to so many podcasts and then after all the hype watching it all becomes a jumble. But even worse was after all the build-up seeing an opening game like that. My recollection was that the commentator said after a very bad camp he started to look a bit better at the end but they did make a point that he and the offense looked lethargic and out of sorts all camp.

2. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

You draft a QB high in round 1.
    You have a competition in training camp that Darnold most likely wins, which is a good thing.
    No use trading Sam in year 4, he has no value.

Three things can happen.
    He sucks so bad that our new QB steps in mid season.
    He plays average the whole season but we know we have the QB of the future and move on.
    He plays lights out, exercise the option (I am not sure of his contract) but most rookie deals have it, and then you are holding all the cards and can pick which to keep and who to trade.

3. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Good post! The Jets have a whole new team on offense. Also they had no scrimmages to practice. The Bills had most of their good defense back. Why would anyone think the Jets were going to do well this early? Don't overreact to the first game. Half the teams in the NFL lost yesterday. The Jets need time to build an offensive line and see if the wide outs can help. The QB will be fine when he gets receivers who are on the same page. They are two years away in terms of talent. Be patient! Think like a GM not like a fan.

4. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

I didn't mind the int. when he threw the ball across his body over the middle.

I was more alarmed he didn't have enough arm to get the ball there.

Lots of great QBs play unconventional football and suceed. Heck I've seen Josh Allen make some crazy throws.

The scary thing about Darnold right now is there's nothing exceptional about him. Not the arm, he doesn't stand tall in the pocket, or his leadership etc. There was a brief glimpse on the drive before the half it looked like he was starting to feel it, taking command but it didn't carry over into the second half.

I'm of the belief that when looking for signs of greatness it should be easily seen.

When breaking down Josh Allen's game it's easy to see where he has exceptional qualities. A cannon arm, tremendous escapeability, elusiveness in the pocket to keep plays alive, make plays. Very reckless with his body though.

What exceptional ability can I say when breaking down Darnold's game?

5. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

6. Boomboom

Boomboom Active Member

Yikes

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

7. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

I get your point but I think a lot of ppl are more upset by the coaching. The play calling is anemic. We have no stars on this team but running a middle school offense isn't helping and is actively hurting Darnold. The DEF is playing their hearts out they're just outmatched they don't have the talent level

8. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

I think we all understand that. The concern is that it’s really hard to see any glimmer of stardom in this kid in his 27th game. Manning went 3-13 in his rookie year, Aikman went 1-15. But if you watched those guys during those seasons you saw the glimmers of what they would be. I don’t expect Darnold to be either of those guys, but going into his third season I’d like to see......something. In spite of the condition of the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jedi mind tricks likes this.
  9. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

“Flash” Darnold.

Flash Gordon, quarterback of the New York Jets, was played by a guy named Sam.

Just dawned on me that Flash Gordon is our second most famous quarterback.

Wahoo likes this.
  10. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

Daniel Jones looks way more impressive than Darnold--

Coaching changes, young, ok line--

Same excuses as sam, but looks different

All Gas No Shake, Wahoo and Boomboom like this.
  11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I just said the same thing to my friend. I also noticed that Jones gets a lot deeper in his sets. It feels like Darnold is scared to retreat and get some depth. He's constantly in the muck of the pocket and only moves right and left. Not sure why.

FrontOfficeFanatic likes this.
  12. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Wouldn't it be our luck if Jones becomes a FQB while we're still looking for one next year...

13. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

They spent 3 first rounders on skill players while we keep drafting IDL. Also, that pick he threw was boneheaded as can be.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  14. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

Giants took Barkley over Sam in 2017, and then Jones in a classic CYA move in 2018

Barkley may not live up to his billing and while Jones looks better in the pocket than Sam at this point, the results are essentially the same.

The real issue for the Jets was the choice of Sam over Josh Allen

I really hope that doesn't come back to bite us

15. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Allen would be abysmal with us. Weak OL, no run game, no strong D to lean on. There are maybe 2 QBs who could possibly succeed in the cesspool we have right now - Watson and Wilson. I don’t even think Mahomes would be What Mahomes currently is in this offense

Jets81 likes this.
  16. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

No QB can do it all by himself. Not excusing Sam's play, but even the best need proper infrastructure around them.

NYJFOREVER and dawinner127 like this.
  17. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

That's been my concern, Darnold never has really looked comfortable. Perhaps a bit vs. Dallas last year. But it just looks too big for him, I hope I'm wrong and he turns it around.

18. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

Right now, you can't argue that Sam was a better pick than Allen
    And believe me, I have been shitting on Allen since year one...runs too much, turnover prone, inaccurate.
    But his team's arrow is pointing way up

And the more I see Allen, I'm not so sure he wouldn't be doing the same thing here as he is doing in Buffalo
    He's gutty and tough. Sam showed me a lot in his first year, but he's gone backwards in the toughness dept. since then

I still think Sam will end up with the better overall career. Allen may ultimately prove to be too reckless for his own good.
    but Sam needs to pick up his game real fast.

19. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Jones doesn't look good tonight. Two terrible interceptions and what should have been a fumble if the refs had gotten the call right.

dawinner127 likes this.
  20. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He did when the poster made that post. He's gotten much worse since then. The Bills are a really good defense. But this is likely the best defense in the league (Steelers).

HomeoftheJets likes this.