The Darnold Dilemma

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsAreBadForYourHealth, Sep 13, 2020.

1. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

We have to at least give him this season. Doesn't make sense to judge after one game.

But if he doesn't put up average stats: 3,500 yards, 25 TDs and 92 rating, in year 3, Jets could consider moving on.

His age, and the fact they have limited weapons, give him the benefit of the doubt for more time if he is average this year.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  2. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

The good thing is his play hasn't warranted a payday. If he shows no progress this year, than we're probably going to bottom out and get a top 5 pick. If he puts it together and takes a leap forward, than we'll laugh about how we let one game led to threads like this being created.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Both season openers against the Bills, not so good. The rest, mostly good. A game in Miami, the ghosts Pats game, were bad though for sure.
    Not that bad, but yes, he was definitely off yesterday.

4. cval

cval Well-Known Member

He just looked so bad and when he finally did make a play the receiver would drop the ball. I did like the way he stepped up but then threw the ball on the run when he should have set his feet. The interception when he could have ran for the first down was just awful.

If we have to wait 6 games until we see a competent performance from our offense I will calling for Sam's and Adam's head. For now I will chalk it up to to many distractions in NY. The only positive I saw from this game is that it I am thinking it can't get any worse but these are the Jets.

5. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I've seen multiple people say he should have ran on that INT he threw across his body but he would gotten absolutely crushed if he pulled it down and kept it. I rewatched it 2x yesterday because I screamed the same thing about running it for a few yards but running and taking off was not in the cards on that play. We would be watching Joe Flacco this week if that happened..

Noam likes this.
  6. foreboding

foreboding Member

First-year, Allen had no one, like your guy.
    Second-year, they worked the trades etc to get Brown and Beasley, both nice players.
    Third-year, an elite guy who massively boosts Brown as well, in Diggs.
    Your right, it's as if the Jets think Darnold is just going to be like Brady was in NE and win with no name WRs. Silly.

SOJAZ likes this.
  7. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

His mechanics are terrible. God awful. Now I’m just some drunk shmuck sitting on my couch and I can see that his footwork and throwing motion are extremely problematic. My question is doesn’t the coaching staff see this? Why has there been no improvement in this his 27th start? Is anyone working with this kid? Don’t they see the problems?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

3rd year time to take the training wheels off, put up or shut up

9. dawinner127

They haven’t had a designated QB coach for 2 years. It’s a fucking joke.

ColoradoContrails, Wahoo and SOJAZ like this.
  10. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

no dilemma for me.....unless the jets have the #1 pick next year, Darnold is the guy for now. Honestly i don't think he is going to become a top 5 QB. BUT that doesn't mean u cannot win with him. There are plenty of examples where teams won the SB without the exotic QB.

gotta get talent. period. hopefully the talent cycle has already started with douglas.

now if we do in fact have the first choice next year - well then. this board will certainly implode multiple times pre-draft and not from trump. LOL.

11. dawinner127

12. vokab206

vokab206 Well-Known Member

A huge part of me is sitting here thinking...look what the Bills did for their QB. They went out and got him Stephon Diggs and other weapons. The Cardinals went out and got Deandre Hopkins. When we had Geno Smith and he was going to be starting headed into year three we went out and got him Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker (we know how the Fitz thing worked) and have we helped Sam at all? Look at the group of playmakers he has around him. Can anyone get open? Yeah, he does need to improve but if one guy can get open it can make the whole offense better.

13. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

Darnold isn't going anywhere for at least 2 years and he gets a new coach with a competent cast..... Plus he's younger then Joe Borrow.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I hope so I really do.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  15. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Not if we get 1st overall. Trevor Lawrence is a stud.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  16. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I'm much more of the opinion that the vast majority fall squarely in the big fat mediocrity of an extra wide bell curve rather than in the little "good" foot.

#36 Ralebird, Sep 14, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
  17. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

To be fair, its tough for any qb to look better than average with Gase's moronic system / game plans.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

19. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I am a big Sam fan but what I found most discouraging about the game was Sam seemed to lack confidence after getting after a poor start and never recovered. He then started making poor decisions. If he is going to be that fragile he will not make it. He look rattled, rushed and uncomfortable the entire game. These next two weeks are big games for him. Let's see how he recovers. Does he get pissed and come back strong or does he just continue to dig a hole for himself. I have read that he had a very poor camp with stretches of being awful most of camp. We can all play the Gase excuse and certainly Gase is a problem but this is year 3 it is time to show he can make good decisions, be consistent, stop making poor decisions and be able to carry this team regardless of who is the HC. That INT was so bad. Smart QB's much slower than Sam take the easy 1st down and run 10 yards. That was such a horrible decision. I am not ready to kick him to the curb yet but that game was demoralizing. I know it was against one of the best defenses in football in very windy conditions but it was the mental aspect of his game and how he responded that bothered me so much. I am really curious to see which Sam shows up next week against a very pissed off SF team.

Wahoo, BrickcityJet and CotcheryFan like this.
  20. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Where did you read about him having an awful camp? Not doubting you, just curious.

Noam likes this.