The Case for Malcom Floyd.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NDmick, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Coach K

Coach K New Member

if u cant bring back braylon

ZACH MILLER

if not ill settle for james jones

floyd can dissappear

2. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

With teams who need receivers going away from Braylon I can only hope there is some way we get him back. Even if its only for 1 year then have an ENTIRE off-season to negotiate a long term deal with him next year. Just BRING BRAYLON BACK!

3. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Case Closed.

4. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

According to the Newark Star-Ledger, the Jets' free agent options at receiver are Malcom Floyd, James Jones, and Braylon Edwards.
    Noticeably absent: Randy Moss. Beat writer Jenny Vrentas concedes that Edwards may be too expensive, but that door hasn't been shut. This is the first we've heard of a Jets interest in Floyd, who has previously been connected to the Vikings and 49ers. Jul 30, 12:08 AM

5. ........

........ Trolls

I'm not sure why this was the first they'd heard of interest in Floyd. It first ran across the Twitter feed on Tuesday that the Jets were interested. It simply reeks of desperation.

If there are three teams interested in Floyd, his price is likely to be at least a bit inflated. He's the kind of receiver I'd be interested in if we had absolutely no one to man the #2 spot. We do, however, have Cotchery. Floyd's only advantage over Cotchery is the very thing we've mocked Chargers receivers for in the past 2 years: he's tall.

Anyone who has watched Malcom over the past few seasons knows that he struggles to get open, he doesn't always seem to use his body properly, and he lacks the athleticism to aid his physicality in actually BEING the deep threat everyone thinks he is. He's not a strong red zone receiver, and he's never had good production. He's 30 years old and has only made it through ONE full season. His best season is worse than Cotchery's best 4, and when he was supposed to take a step forward last season and was given the opportunity to be a #1 receiver, he was inconsistent, frequently lost, and just as frequently banged up.

Coming from a family with plenty of Charger fans, I don't know a single one who was seriously hoping to return Floyd this offseason, even as a #2.

If we were to sign him, we'd be committing a decent chunk of money and cap space to a guy who wouldn't represent a market improvement over what we already have. It's just not a move that we need to make. Edwards makes our offense MUCH better, and we're fairly certain of what we'd be getting for 4 years out of our passing game. Floyd? Well, if we sign him, I'll obviously hope that he fulfills some of the promise that has been around for his entire 7 year career, but at this point it's awfully unlikely.

I'm also not sure where all of the talk is coming from with regards to him giving some "youth" to our receivers. He'd be older than every other receiver on the team, and the 2nd oldest member of our starting offense behind Brandon Moore. Hell, with the players we have signed right now, he'd be 3rd on the entire offensive unit.

6. Theo Huxtable

Theo Huxtable New Member

Ya, Im confused why people think he's not 30 years old. Someone will mention it and 4 posts later some idiot will say how he's a good option because of his youth, and then in another thread will bash Plax for being 34.

The player I want from Cali is Zach Miller, and the fake rumor about him made me realize I don't want Malcom Floyd, if we don't get Braylon back, fuck it, I'll settle with Cotch as a #2. Hopefully Shotty see's the upside of having a 2TE set where both TE's can block AND catch at a decent ability, and we won't need to waste money on someone like this or someone like...Randy Moss :shudder:

7. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

I just think we need a tall WR to catch Mark's overthrows, because we all know he will chuck one high from time to time. Floyd is the best available guy who can do that at a reasonable price. He is not going to burn anyone deep unless a coverage is blown or he beats a safety to the sideline against zone coverage, but I don't think we really need him to.

He's definitely the guy I want. I think we could interchange him and Jerricho in the slot depending on the look we want to give and the personnel the opposing D has on the field.

8. ........

........ Trolls

Malcom Floyd is not a slot receiver.

I'm not sure about this idea that, since Mark throws high from time to time, we need a tall receiver to catch his overthrows. Are we going to guarantee that those overthrows are always in Floyd's direction? It seems like a silly excuse to pay free agent money to a receiver. We have Patrick Turner on the team if we just need someone tall. Floyd wasn't really any different at this point in his career.

Again, it just seems like a waste to lock the team into multiple years of a perpetual underachiever. Could it work out? Sure. Height aside, though, he's not an improvement over Cotchery. He's actually a step down.

9. Theo Huxtable

Theo Huxtable New Member

I get what you're saying but...

What's Patrick Turner's 40 time?
    :rofl:

10. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Floyd has trouble getting open. Also, he's not particularly athletic relative to other NFL wideouts. Furthermore, as far as production goes he has never been consistently good.

Last year he did have a sparkling 8-213-1 game vs Oakland. In his other 10 games (8 starts), he caught 29 passes. 29 receptions in 10 games on an explosive offense with a highly accurate quarterback. Not good.

Floyd is also a west coast guy. Put him on the east coast with an inaccurate QB and I don't think the results are going to be anything better than ho-hum.

11. AarontheJet

AarontheJet Active Member

No thanks to Floyd. He might be a cheap option, but he's not a guy who gets open and honestly that just makes our worse. I echo the sentiments of getting Zach Miller instead, running two tight end sets would be awesome, especially for the run game. He's a guy who could give us Braylon's production and maybe even a little more.

12. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

I don't think it would be expensive to sign him and he does not appear to be getting a ton of attention. I think we could sign the guy to a 3 year contract, and with this being the NFL, he could go away after one season if it doesn't work out.

Anyway, Michael Jenkins is also out there. I like Floyd more, and James Jones would likely be my third preference. We also need to keep in mind that guys will be getting cut during training camps and the Bears currently have an interesting prospect from the CFL who is also 6'5.

13. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Not anymore. He signed with the Vikings.

14. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

No Floyd, do not like. Cotchery is infinitely better and already signed.

Lets move on from his Floyd stuff. There has to be much better options.......I know how about Edwards?

15. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

At least Floyd doesn't take plays off a la Randy Moss.

I hope Braylon makes it back but certainly not at Cromartie's expense.

Cro should be locked up first.

16. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Re: the 8-213-1 game I mentioned in post 110

It's too bad Raiderjoe can't have a normal conversation with anyone. I'd like to know why Floyd had such a strong game vs the Raiders.

I believe Floyd's only had three 100-yard performances in his career. One was in the season finale of 2009. The Chargers treated that game like a preseason game as they already had their playoff spot locked up. Floyd received extra playing time in that one and was targeted much more often than normal.

His other 100-yard game was against the Bengals in a barnburner. The Bengals had built a big lead (it was 21-0 after the 1st quarter) and then got sloppy with their pass defense in the second half. There was probably a good 15-20 minutes of game time where the Bengals were allowing passing yards in exchange for time ticking away.

Cincinnati's problem was that as the score got close, the Bengals tried to refocus and tighten up, but they couldn't do it. The Chargers won 49-41.

If the Jets acquired Floyd, I think he'd average 2 or 3 catches a game. I don't know him to be a good blocker. Maybe he is, though. There is no reason for him to ever consistently draw double coverage.

Cotchery is a more skilled and reliable player. I'd prefer the Cotchery and Holmes tandem in the base offense over Floyd and Holmes.

17. AarontheJet

AarontheJet Active Member

That's why I get so pissed off hearing about these Randy Moss rumors. Let's pay a guy who's notoriously lazy, who takes plays off in the middle of games, and is a malcontent instead of paying a guy who has been nothing but a hard worker and difference maker for our team. I have a lot of faith in Tanny, don't get me wrong, but that would be one decision that I would question him on, no questions asked.

18. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

Malcom Floyd and James Jones are not good fits for this team.

Look... the Jets front office took a look at the wide receivers on the free agent market this year and signed the one they liked. We still need to improve the offense- I thought the best way to do that was by signing Braylon Edwards but either a) I'm wrong, which happens frequently or b) Rex and Mike Tannenbaum are wrong, which happens less frequently.

I'm confident the Jets will add talent to this offense before the year begins, but it doesn't necessarily need to happen the way we're expecting it to happen. There are other positions that can offer support to a young quarterback besides wide receiver, and Mike Tannenbaum hasn't touched this team's 2012 draft picks yet.

I can't think of a better move than to get the best of a Steve Smith trade, but the "sign another big threat tight end" suggestion is another great idea.

#118 JCotchrocket, Jul 31, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  19. GA Jets

GA Jets New Member

20. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

Iggy, good to see you're back.